Logi Nu
killem2

Using Harmony 650 for Windows Media Center, what am I missing here?

I just bought a
1 x Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner w/ IR Remote PCI-E x 1

The remote that came with it, is apparently garbage and I cannot get it to work right. I remembered buying this old 650 (and it was also about as bad as I could not get it to work with my home built pc).

I thought a nice three year gap would make this easier.

All I want, is to be able to open windows media center from the remote, and control it. The remote looks like it has enough buttons to handle this task, what steps do I need to take?

Logi Nu
rwgunther

Re: Using Harmony 650 for Windows Media Center, what am I missing here?

Using myharmony.com, you should be able to program your 650 to control a Media Center PC. Try adding a device with the Manufacturer being Microsoft and the Model Number being Windows Media Center. Once you go through the steps of setting up the device and associated activity, this should allow you to control your Media Center using the 650.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

[ Edited ]
The OP will also need a USB IR Dongle to control the PC
Logi Guru
triad

[ Edited ]

The subject Hauppauge already comes with a USB IR dongle, but doesn't necessarily use MCE codes. All the OP needs to do is choose Computer - Media Center PC - Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-2250. Choosing Microsoft - Windows Media Center may not work as this device uses the RC-5 protocol, not RC-6 like MCE does. The big green button opens Media Center. It's probably called Start or GreenButton on harmony. Navigate with the arrow buttons.

All that being said, if the original remote won't work, neither will harmony. You probably missed a step in the Hauppauge setup where you were supposed to load the driver for the IR dongle. I have a WinTV with an identical remote to yours, and it works perfectly. If you still insist that the remote is garbage, please throw it my way rather than in the trash can. I can always use a spare.