Logi Browser
srecker
Accepted Solution

Vizio Tv multiple input issue

Hi,

I figured out all my Panasonic stuff.  Now I am setting up my Vizo TV and I am running into issues.  Vizio has the input list where you push the "input" button on the vizio remote to cycle through the inputs.  The problem I am having is where I have something hooked into a "Component 2" or a "AV 2" type input.  When the tv goes to change to the proper input, it only changes to the "Component 1" input.  Would anyone have any suggestions?

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Vizio Tv multiple input issue

most vizio tv's have an input selection method that needs to be setup by support.  i recommend emailing them

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Browser
srecker

OK, any specific reason why? You would prefer that I email them over calling them?  Thanks for your help on my two issues, I'm getting closer!
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

logitech only offers phone support within the first 60 days of updating the remote for the first time.  after that, it's online support.  this is a new policy change.  so as a blanket statement now, when it comes to contacting support, I simply say email.

as far as the input issue goes, if I recall correctly, vizios typically don't fit into the mold of the 4 user selectable input selection methods

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
OmarHarmony

Hi srecker, 

For the most part, Vizio TV's are correctly configured in our database. Vizio TV's use what we call multi-method input switching. They use a combination of discrete and toggle method. Here's an example:

AV button on the original remote toggles through AV1 and AV2 (Toggle method)

Component button on the original remote toggles through Component 1 and Component 2 (Toggle method)

HDMI button on the original remote toggles through HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 (Toggle method)

RGB button on the original remote switches directly to the RGB input (Discrete method)

As WannabeActuary mentioned, we do special programming on our end to accommodate for the input switching, so if you went through the adjust inputs wizard, chances are that the special settings have been removed from your device. I recommend you do the following:

1. Remove and re-add your Vizio TV.

2. Setup the activities to use your Vizio TV.

3. Update your Harmony Remote.

Once you have updated your Harmony Remote, chances are that the TV will not switch to the correct input. You will then need to synchronize your the Harmony with your TV. You have two options to do this:

1. Use the original remote to switch the TV to the correct input (I recommend this option)

2. Use Help on the Harmony Remote and answer the questions to get the TV to the correct input.

Once you have done this, the Harmony will be synchronized with that input cycle. However, if you have other activities that use inputs in another inputs cycle (ie. the TV was on AV1 and now you switch to Component 1), chances are the Harmony will not switch to TV to the correct input, because it is not synchronized with that input cycle. You will again need to use the original remote, or Help to synchronize. Once you have done this for every input cycle, the Harmony will correctly switch the inputs on the TV, and you will not need to pick up the original remote or use Help again.

Regards,

Omar

Logi Browser
srecker

Thanks Omar.  Just a couple questions then -

Once I have re-setup my TV and activities for the Vizio you mentioned that I will still run into issues getting to those "2nd inputs".  I guess I am confused from there as to how using the origanal remote to put it onto the correct input will syncronize it so that it will work properly so that I can get to those 2nd or toggle inputs.  Am I missing something here?  The way I am reading it is that you are sayin the remote is going to "learn" to go the right input, which I understand the remotes do not do that.  I am sure I am missing something....

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

it's basically a one time resynch of the remote with the tv.  each input subset (av, component, hdmi, vga) keeps track of the last input it was on.  once you readd your tv to your setup, it may actually be in a different state then what the remote thinks.

I would assume the remote would assume each was in the first position (AV1, component 1, hdmi1, etc...), however, the tv may have actually been on AV2, component2, and HDMI2 last).

Logi Nu
ae1956

OmarHarmony wrote:

1. Remove and re-add your Vizio TV.

2. Setup the activities to use your Vizio TV.

3. Update your Harmony Remote.

That's lame.  Can't I program my remote without having to reprogram my activities?  Why don't the 'SetInputHDMI1' and 'SetInputHDMI2' selections in the Input set-up do anything?  

nXt
Logi Browser
nXt

So what's the best choice for Input Selection method on a Vizio TV? 1, 2, 3, or 4. I have an SV420XVT
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

IF your default input settings don't work for your vizio tv, contact tech support.  their method of input changing typically doesn't fit the mold of method 1,2,3 or 4.  in fact they usually use what's referred to as 'multi-method'...basically they're a mix of methods