Logi Browser
dougsmith

long delays when scrolling through menus

[ Edited ]

So I guess it is not possible to speed up the send time of the remote (Harmony 1)?  I decreased my interkey delay and repeats to zero, but the remote still appears to be sending a signal that lasts for close to 1 second (judging by the length of time the little 'send icon' appears).  It seems many others have discovered this "fatal flaw" and have been complaining about it for quite some time.  No firmware fix in the works, apparently...   What is the point of allowing a 0 ms interkey delay time if the remote takes 1 sec to send the signal?  I've only had this for a couple of days and am seriously considering returning it.

-Doug

Message Edited by dougsmith on 07-31-2009 04:54 PM
Logi Guru
listener

Re: long delays when scrolling through menus

Hi and welcome!

First thing to try is to learn the command as a new command from the original remote. Do this in RAW mode, ant pres the key on the original remote only for a very very short time. If this doesn't help, contact Logitech support. They should be able to 'shorten' the respective commands. Phone support is free for new users for 90 days.

Greetings

listener 

Harmony 900 with Fujitsu-Siemens TV (Myrica V30-1), Yamaha-AV (RX-V461), Teufel-5.1-Speakers (Concept-S), Sony DVD (DVP-NS76H), Sony VCR (SLV-SE800D1), LG PVR (RH-278H), Pioneer Mini System (CD, Radio, Tape) (DC-Z94), Logitech Squeezebox Radio and iPod touch 32GB. Did you read Wannabe's FAQ's?
Logi Apprentice
pshirriff

On your original device remote can you issue commands back to back more quickly? By turning down your inter key delay you are decreasing the amount of time your remote takes to send a command. If it is set to 0 ms the harmony remote will send it out that fast. Check to see if your device can pick it up that fast, that could be the issue. Also i really wouldn't mess with the repeats as that would not effect what you are talking about. messing with the repeats could cause your entire device to stop functioning. Essentially when your remote sends out a command it is sending out a numerical code. The repeats is how many times it sends out a section of that command. So lets say you have 3 repeats (usual number) the remote sends out the numerical sequence once, your device sees it and wakes up, your remote sends it out a second time, your device recognizes what it is asking for, your remote sends it out a third time and your device follows through with the command. Changing the repeats would not help with your inter key delay issue.

cheers, Paul 

Logi Apprentice
pshirriff

I would try checking to see that your device can actually receive commands that quickly first before contacting logitech. Save yourself the time if your original device can do it, i would then think about calling logitech. You would have to speak to a tier two representive from logitech to actually change the XML of your command. 
Logi Browser
dougsmith

Yes, the original remote responds MUCH faster.  Changing the interkey delay to 100 ms or 0 ms has no effect for multiple button presses, except that if I click 3 times fast to scroll through a menu, for example, the remote then responds with a delayed reaction, advancing 3 positions if about 3 seconds.  As I said, the advance time appears to corresponds to the time the little send icon appears, which is certainly not 100 ms. 

-Doug

Logi Apprentice
pshirriff

I almost want to say thats a hardware issue. Your harmony remote should be able to send commands as quickly as you can press the button. I mean its sending out an infrared signal so it moves at the speed of light. 

cheers, Paul 

Logi Browser
dougsmith

Well, it starts sending the signal as quickly as I press the button, but does not finish sending it for ~1 sec.
Logi Apprentice
pshirriff

is this your input menu that is reacting slowly? if it is try reducing your input delay. 
Logi Browser
dougsmith

Did that... reduced everything to the minimum except the power-on time.  The functionality I am looking for is rapid scrolling through lists of songs on the Rhapsody menu (at least as fast as the original remote, that is... I've got >500 items in my Library).  The original remote has a page up/down function that activates when you hold the button down.  Not only is the H1 too slow for going through just a few items, it never activates the paging function. 

-Doug

Logi Apprentice
pshirriff

Hey there heres a suggestion, map whatever command you have to your volume key. The volume button is the only one that is able to have a hold function which means that when you hold it down it sends out the comands quickly. You could then say map the volume buttom to your direction keys. Lets assume you are using the direction keys to scroll through, here is what you do, map your volume up and down buttons for that device to your directional keys, then map your direction up and direction down keys to your volume button. This also works with channel, so you could map your direction keys to your channel buttons on your remote. 

cheers, Paul

P.S. if you need help with button mapping just holler at me i'm happy to help