Logi Browser
ryker5000

re: Harmony 900 - leaving it charging in the cradle

a level two tech at Harmony support told me a year ago that Harmony was working on a patch that would enable the harmony's charge receptor to shut down and stop taking a charge once the battery was full.  This would enable users to leave their Harmony 900 remotes on the cradle long after the remote was tanked up, so that one doesn't have to remember religiously to remove their remote from the charger to avoid damaging the battery.  

This tech assured me that I would be emailed when such a patch became available.  This was a year ago, and I've never received such an email.  

Does anyone know if this patch has come out, or if it's likely to do so?  I was told that without this fix, if you leave the remote in the cradle for too long, the battery will swell and could leak or even burst, which will destroy your remote, to say the least.  Which seems crazy - i know Apple makes their iphones' receptors shut off when fully charged so that you can leave it charging overnight, without worrying about damaging your battery...

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Re: re: Harmony 900 - leaving it charging in the cradle

My two 880,s, two One's, and two 900's are on the charger when not being used, thais in some cases has been for 5 years, and I have not had any problems, other than 2 batteries that had the blue stripe on them had to be replaced.  All of my Harmony batteries are white, and have never had a problem with over charging.

Logi Browser
ryker5000

this is my 2nd Harmony 900.  With my first one, I frequently left it in the charger when not in use, and the battery swelled (to the point where the phone stopped powering up,  and when I tried to do a battery pull, i couldn't because the battery had swollen too big).  I then had called tech support, who told me this problem was entirely my fault - that it was because I had left it on the charger after it had been fully charged - that this damages the battery.  I was instructed never to do this again...  So now that I've bought a new one, I don't leave it on the cradle after it's fully charged.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

That is so wrong, this only happened to batteries with the blue stripe, as I said my 6 remotes now all have the white batteries without the blue stripe, and they are always on the charger when not in use.  You must have only talkied to Level one support.  Logitech has replaced entire remotes, with the swelling problem where the battery could not be removed, even if the remotes were out of warranty, some were up to three years old.

Logi Browser
altivec

[ Edited ]

Funny i have the same problem with my Logitech 900.

Logitech will exchange my remote for a new one but they want mine first and after investigation they will either send it back or give me a new one.

I have bough a Logitech 900 because our electronic are build-in into our custom made furniture and standard remote wouln'd work. Now they ask me to send back my 400.00$ remote back and wait couple weeks with a non-operational home theather.... great support Logitech!

Just home i have:

- 2 Logitech Harmony (1x 900, 1x 720)

- 2x Logitech G25

- 1x Logitech DrivingForce GT

- +/- 6 Logitech Mouse Mxxx

- +/- 5 Logitech Keyboard

In my close family (without my stuff):

- 4x Logitech Harmony (different models)

- 10x Logitech Mouse

-  8-10 Logitech Keyboard

- Couple logitech gamepad

I could keep on going with my 50 employees company (which am the owner)

My incident # if any employee are interested in real customer support: {Personal content removed for your safety}

As far as i know when Apple, Sony Acer, etc... all got battery issue back in 2008 they didn't ask their customer to send back their laptop. They didn't even ask for a picture of battery, serial , box, etc.... (all pictures i had to provide to Logitech for a KNOWN ISSUE! Pictures i gladly send them).

So by Logitech logic i should consider myself lucky that they will exchange my remote out of warranty for a MANIFACTURING ISSUE! I could always wait for the battery to swelling more and explode or catch fire and then sue Logitech for my lost and maybe injuries/death ?

Side note:

To show how great Logitech support is, last year i bough a Logitech G25 at BestBuy for 100.00$ (open-box/final sale), it was broken one i got home, shifter working, all button worked but not the motor for the wheel). Logitech did exchange the product but i f*cking got a DrivingForce GT instead cause they condidered i didn't paid the "FULL PRICE" for my G25 so i wasn't intittle to receive a G25, 100$ = DrivingForce GT even if i had send them a G25 that was only 1 weeks old on the invoice.

So if anyone get a 400.00$ remote for 100.00$ be ready to get **bleep** raped if you need service u'll end up with the lower end model.

Logi Browser
altivec

Update:

I spoken with a other agent and there nothing to do.

The best they offered me is to ship it 2 days after i have shipped mine.

They actually recommanded me to go buy a other remote at a local store and then to return it once the new replacement is received from Logitech....

What kind of company give such advice ?

When my Apple laptop had a battery problem i didn't have to send anything back.
When my Apple laptop had a cracking plastic due to a bad manufacturing i didn't have to send anything back, in fact they even gave me 150.00$ worth of product for the trouble and time lost at the service location.
When my wife Sony laptop had a battery problem i didn't have to send anything back.
When my Audi or BMW have a problem they come pick it up i don't even go there, why ? Because i bough a premium product with premium price which i tough i also did by getting a Harmony 900 instead of the competition cheaper product.

I will never, ever buy any product from Logitech again. I paid premium price for a premium product and i am getting entry-level support for a manifacturing problem. Logitech keep telling me how lucky i am that they are taking care of my remote... hello! If i keep the remote it's will eventually blow a part or catch fire and i will be able to sue your **bleep** off for hundreds of thousand.....

Warranty expired or not the product is defective and they know it, Logitech clearly doesn't care about their customer.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Logitech have often replaced remotes with expanded batteries without asking for them to be returned so they are being illogical in refusing to do that for you.

On the other hand you don't help your case by using filthy language about it.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

ryker5000 wrote:

tech support, who told me this problem was entirely my fault - that it was because I had left it on the charger after it had been fully charged - that this damages the battery.  I was instructed never to do this again

That was totally incorrect and the agent should be disciplined for saying it.

It 's normal to leave the remote on the base when it's not in use and that is good for the battery, not bad.

Logi Browser
altivec

[ Edited ]

Want to laugh ?

I have send my remote back to Logitech and here what i get back:

Dear X,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care about your Universal Remotes

Your Return Merchandise Authorization number is: {Personal content removed for your safety}

Eric, we apologize for the inconvenience. We understand that you badly needed the replacement remote and agreed for a cross-shipment of the remote. Please be informed that we currently do not have stock for Harmony 900 Remotes. The replacement of Harmony 900 will be delayed and it will take 30 days for us to replenish the stock of the Harmony 900 remote.

Great so i bough a 400$ piece of ***** and i get crappier support that i would get for a 1$ iPhone cable made from China. Without a joke i bough a clone AC Adapter for one of our Apple Laptop once from DealExtreme, it got defective after 14 months, they just told me to throw it away my new replacement was already on the way and to apologize they gave me a 10$ credit...

If i bough a Logitech 900 it's because our electronic and not in the same room, integrated in a specially design furniture, now i have a 10k home theather that i can't use for minimum 1 month and Logitech recommand that i go at my local store to buy a other remote ? lol! What kind a company is that ?

The minimum is to send me back my remote first or anything that worst with their RF system in the mean time they get their problem fix.

Logitech can be sure this is the last product ever me, my business, my clients , my family and friends will ever buy from them, i swear to god i will dedicate myself to spread the words how bad this company and their support is.

Logi Browser
altivec

On the phone right now with Logitech, nothing before mid-January.

They again suggest that i buy a other remote by the time they fix the issue. How the hell can i buy a Logitech 900 if you are out of stock ?

But then they say the store and service don't have the same inventory, then grab one from the sale and replace my *** remote!

Am supposse again to consider myself lucky that Logitech will replace my defective and dangerous product out of warranty.