Logi Nu
cmasupra

Fixing G35's audio only in right ear

[ Edited ]

I have found a solution to a common problem with the G35 (and maybe G930) headset. This solution is for the people who work on the G35's driver. If you are the average person looking for a quick fix, find the section in this post that says "For Windows to be set to stereo:" and "For Windows to be set to 7.1:". Just do Ctrl+F for one of those phrases and follow the directions for stereo or 7.1, depending on which one you want (and make sure your headset switch is set to the same mode, either stereo or 7.1).

The issue:

When the headset switch is in stereo mode, some games or applications only play sounds in the right ear.

The reason the issue exists:

There are 2 places where you can change between stereo and 7.1 on this headset.

Place 1: the driver. The driver can be changed between stereo and 7.1 by moving the switch on the back of the headset.

Place 2: Windows sound settings. In Windows Vista/7, this can be changed between stereo and 7.1 by right-clicking the speaker icon in the tasktray -> Playback devices -> Right-click the G35 headset -> Configure Speakers. In the resulting dialog box, click next and then set the checkboxes based on what you want the Windows audio setting to be:

For Windows to be set to stereo: uncheck "Center, Subwoofer, Side pair, and Rear pair". Click next. Check "Front left and right". Click Next -> Finish.

For Windows to be set to 7.1: check "Center, Subwoofer, Side pair, and Rear pair". Click next. Uncheck "Front left and right". Click Next -> Finish.

There are 4 possible combinations of settings between the 2 places (Windows setting and driver setting):

Windows is set to 7.1, driver is set to 7.1: Issue never appears

Windows is set to 7.1, driver is set to stereo: Issue sometimes appears

Windows is set to stereo, driver is set to 7.1: Not tested

Windows is set to stereo, driver is set to stereo: Issue never appears

From what was said above, the issue only appears when Windows sound settings are set to 7.1 and the G35's driver is set to stereo (using the switch). The issue also only appears under 1 certain condition, which I am about to explain.

Just for example purposes, let's say that there are only 2 different ways for a program to get sound: DirectSound and MMDevApi. There are actually more, but this is simpler and explains my point. DirectSound detects sound settings using the audio driver (G35 driver in this case). MMDevApi detects sound settings using the Windows sound settings.

Let's assume our settings are the settings where the issue appears: Windows is set to 7.1 and the driver is set to stereo. If a program uses DirectSound to detect sound settings, it will detect that the headset is stereo. That means all sounds that are sent to the driver and then to the headset will be stereo.

However, if a program uses MMDevApi to detect sound settings, it will detect that the headset is 7.1. That means all sounds sent to the driver will be mono because 7.1 is positional and only mono sounds can be positioned. The driver then attempts to play the mono sound in the center channel of the headset because the headset is in stereo mode. Normally that would mean the center channel gets split into left and right. However, this doesn't work because the mono sound had a position associated with it, so the center channel doesn't split into left/right. The sound is only played in the center channel and the center channel is in the right ear. Thus, the mono 7.1-positioned sound is only played in the right ear.

The solution:

The G35's driver needs to be changed so that the switch on the back of the headset not only changes the driver's mode between 7.1 and stereo, but also changes the Windows sound setting's mode between 7.1 and stereo. This way, regardless of which backend (DirectSound or MMDevApi) is used to detect the sound settings, the correct setting will be detected.

I do not know how this will work with Windows XP because XP does not have a Windows sound setting; there is only a driver setting. The driver will just have to differentiate between XP and Vista/7.

Testbed setup:

Headset: Logitech G35 (mine is almost 2 years old)

Headset driver: Logitech Gaming Software 8.20.74

Other Logitech hardware: G700 mouse and original (blue) G15 keyboard.

Logitech products I use:
G35 headset | G9 mouse | G700 mouse | Quickcam Deluxe webcam | C920 webcam | original (blue) G15 keyboard | G510 keyboard | Extreme 3D Pro joystick
Logi Nu
Ahobo

Re: Fixing G35's audio only in right ear

[ Edited ]

Thank you sir for helping me fix my headset (G930). I dont know how mucj work you did but thank you. it finalys works. What is truly still annoying me is that a customer has to spend his time to find a solution to a problem. I feel as though lagitech should have gotten off there butts and accually did their job. Thanks once again

Logi Nu
Kw4kje

@ Ahobo

What did you do to fix this problem? I install new drivers, but it did'nt help.

Logi Nu
josipva

[ Edited ]

I've made some progress with this problem (btw OP solution works). It seems to be a problem with latest adobe flash player (got the idea when i saw that i have no problems with it in games, only with music in web browser) I noticed that for example youtube music works fine when i uninstall it, however when i install it again it goes back to right earcup sound. Maybe there is some conflict there ... ?

Logi Nu
llllshadowllll

[ Edited ]

Didn't work for me, i'm waiting for a fix from Logitech/Adobe/Chrome

Logi Nu
Kw4kje

yesterday there was nothing wrong, now in a sudden...weird, think flash cause this problem. Just have to wait, i hope this week everything is back to normal soon :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
Kosic

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue, only happened today. I noticed it on youtube. Thought 'Great my second hand G930 headset is dying on me.'

Luckily for me it wasn't, and just seems to be a Flash issue with the headset, since they work perfectly with my window media programs.

Anyways. I tried your fix, it didn't work at first.

>For Windows to be set to stereo: uncheck "Center, Subwoofer, Side pair, and Rear pair". Click next. Check "Front left and right". Click Next -> Finish.<

I had them all unchecked, and tried having the front left, and front right, didn't seemed to work. Went back in and thought if I had the center surround channel checked, maybe this'll help spread the sound to both speakers, and that seemed to work. Not sure if others will have the same fix, but it's worth a try.

So I'd suggest to people who didn't get the above under linned section to work, try having just center speaker checked, and the rest unchecked, this also includes not having front left, and front right checked either.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

I thought I'd change the settings back to what you had said in the opening post. It seems to work on them as well as the center settings that I had first used to fix the issue. So not sure if something had switched it back to it's working state so either of the two combinations work for me.

Logi Nu
shnerrick

Nope I just tried this no fix : (

Will a Logitech admin comment on one of these threads already. At least let us know that you are fixing this problem

Logi Nu
Tic101

Place 2: Windows sound settings. In Windows Vista/7, this can be changed between stereo and 7.1 by right-clicking the speaker icon in the tasktray -> Playback devices -> Right-click the G35 headset -> Configure Speakers. In the resulting dialog box, click next and then set the checkboxes based on what you want the Windows audio setting to be:

For Windows to be set to stereo: uncheck "Center, Subwoofer, Side pair, and Rear pair". Click next. Check "Front left and right". Click Next -> Finish.

For Windows to be set to 7.1: check "Center, Subwoofer, Side pair, and Rear pair". Click next. Uncheck "Front left and right". Click Next -> Finish.

I can confirm this worked for me, I just had to refresh the Youtube video i was on.

Logi Visitor
Mephers

[ Edited ]

I feel dumb, but where is the actual solution?
Edit: Nevermind, guess it wasnt actually posted under "Solution" Just an idea for the solution.
The solution works but its annoying having to manually change everything everytime.

Edit2: It seems like it might be a flash player problem or something, It only happens in browsers when im listening to music as well. Weird. Hope this helps.