Logi Browser
TaylorJL

G930 Not Working - Please Help!

Hey folks, 

After much debating I finally purchased the G930 as I was in desperate need of a surround wireless headset and it appears its the only one on the market. I'm really beginning to regret not taking heed to the issues posted on this board and the negative feedback I read on other sites. I've been at it for 2 days now and am getting incredibly frustrated as I was really looking forward to this purchase.

However! I have been a Logitech user for years, even when the going gets tough and I have to do some serious troubleshooting. I'm at a loss with this one. I've installed/uninstalled this thing at least two dozen times. I'll go into as much detail as I can.

- What I'm running:

OS - Windows XP 32bit SP3

Mobo - ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Audio - ASUS Xonar D1

All drivers and such are up to date.

- I have my PC set up to my home theater system and use my LED TV as my monitor.

- In the Xonar settings, all I had to do with my previous USB headset was switch the setting to "Headset" that was it. That doesn't seem to work with the G930 even with the "Dolby Headphones" option in Xonar.

- I've tried installing it with the charging base, with just the dongle, and in every USB port I have.

- I've tried installing it from the CD provided and then letting it update to the newest driver automatically. I've tried installing it with just the newest driver (.364) downloaded from this website.

- I've tried installing it without the software but it still didn't work even as a generic "USB Audio Device".

- I've tried installing the newest version of Logitech Gaming Software but that made everything worse, It didn't detect my mouse or keyboard and rendered my Xonar soundcard completely useless. I couldn't get sound on my home theater with it installed at all. Needless to say, I don't want to reinstall it.

- I tried installing it with my Xonar uninstalled. That didn't work, either.

All of that said, I can tell the G930 is trying its best. This is what I do get from it:

- A "staticy" clicking noise when cycling through My Computer folders (You know how Windows makes that click as you navigate into new folders?)

- When I play an audio or video file, it makes a very soft, quiet static sound as if it knows it should be projecting something.

- Once, and this was a fluke, I had the headset on and had all the audio settings defaulted to the G930 as you would normally but had not installed the G930 software. I was frustrated and took a break and checked out a flash video in a news article online. Well I got a incredibly staticy playback and the voices were super deep (there was a lady singing but she sounded like Andre the Giant). You couldn't make out anything that was being said but its the closest thing I've gotten to a working G930 yet.

I really need to fix this. I've been off of work for medical reasons and that is frustrating enough as it is. I'm on a limited income and just wanted to get back into playing something online with friends to get my mind off of things. I just really really need this issue fixed and working as soon as possible.

Please help!

Thank you for your time.

-Taylor

Logi Master
NeatNit

Re: G930 Not Working - Please Help!

[ Edited ]

You said in one part that you've tried the headset without the software and it didn't work. In this case it is probably a hardware problem - you have a faulty unit.

First thing we need to do is to make sure I'm right. Connect the dongle to another computer (try with and without the charging base extension cord), preferrably with different hardware, and see if the headset works there. Make no attempt to install the software - it's supposed to work without it. If it works - it's a problem with your computer (which I'll try to help you find). If it still doesn't work - contact Logitech customer care for your region and they should offer you a replacement (I cannot guarantee this).

Thank you very much for your reply, NeatNit! I sincerely appreciate you offering your time on this.

I'll be able to test it out on a laptop once my girlfriend is back, sometime tonight. I'll post the results as soon as I test it out.

I was worried about it being the hardware, too. I very rarely install software for peripherals if I don't absolutely need to and every Logitech item I own works this way - thats one reason I enjoy them.

Thanks again,

-Taylor

Logi Browser
TaylorJL

Okay. So. Its works without a hitch on my girlfriend's laptop without the software. She's running Windows 7 32-bit. *sigh*

I was planning on reformatting my hard drive in the next several weeks, I suppose I could try doing that this weekend to see if its something with Windows?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-T

Logi Master
NeatNit

[ Edited ]
If reformatting is not a big deal for you, then sure, that's the 'simplest' fix for your problem (and if that doesn't work, there must be some incompatability between the headset and some other hardware). But for most people I wouldn't recommend it - I, for example, never format my computer because I can't let go of all that crap. Yeah, I'm a hoarder I guess.

If you don't want to format I'm sure we can find a solution given enough time. (I'm hoping a Logitech employee will come and help, too)
note: the headset doesn't have anything to do with your sound card. They should be completely seperate, without affecting each other.

[ Edited ]

Okay, so I've reformatted and installed Windows XP Professional 64-bit, SP2. and reinstalled all of my essential programs and drivers. 

I've plugged the G930 back in, without the Logitech software, and it still does not work properly. It doesn't even work consistently. That is to say I'll set the audio settings in Windows to the Logitech G930 and disable the SPDIF out (remember I have it set up to my home stereo) in the Xonar D1 audio settings.

However, sometimes I get sound and sometimes I don't. I've tested it numerous ways and its very unpredictable, I can't assuredly say its going to work each time I switch the settings to the G930. If I change the volume with the wheel on the G930, sometimes it reflects the changes in realtime in both the Windows volume gauge and the Xonar volume gauge. And Sometimes not.

When I do get sound, its highly distorted and with extremely bad static. The pitch is way off and the voices and music are deep and unrecognizable.I thought it may be because I have three other wireless devices but even if I move the G930 reciever around the room (with a USB extension), it does not improve. I've plugged it into USB ports where other devices are plugged in and working properly, yet even then it does not improve.

I'm at a loss! But if you have any suggestions, I'll try anything. Hopefully a Logitech agent will also throw their two cents in. 

Thanks!

-T

PS: I have not yet tried installing the G930 software, but again it should work without that installed so if I can get it to work without, that's great!

****UPDATE**** - For the hell of it, I just tried my old USB Headset and IT DOES NOT WORK either. Exactly the same issue as the G930 so that's slightly terrifying and reassuring at the same time. It clearly seems to be a hardware/software issue as this old headset worked the last time I used them. Are there specific USB Drivers for headsets that I can update?

Logi Browser
Vathral

So let me get this straight.

G930

--------

Your Computer: Does not work

GF's Computer: works

Old USB Headset

-------

Your Computer: Does not work

GF's Computer: ???

If anything, your motherboard is having issues. I had that motherboard (still do actually) and it was the crappiest mobo I've ever used. 

Logi Browser
TaylorJL

Hello, Vathral! Thanks for taking the time to reply!

As one would predict, the old headset works on the girlfriend's laptop also. It is a Plantronic 770 (so old)

Its strange, I've had this PC for 4 years now and the motherboard has been flawless up until now. All of the USB devices I have (Keyboard/Mouse/Webcam/Memory) all work on each and every USB port I plug them into, its just USB audio that has the issue it seems. And while I've had all of them in use at the same time in the past, I only have the keyboard and mouse hooked up now, so I'm not using up too much of my USB resources.

Thoughts or suggestions? Anyone have any experience with this particular issue?

Thanks again, Valthral!

-T

Logi Browser
TaylorJL

So I'm still having the issue - no one has any advice regarding the USB Audio driver issues?

Thank you Neatnit and Vathral for your help so far, if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know - I'd love to enjoy the headphones I paid $180 for! 

-T