Logi Browser
hydraulix

G930 - Reverb/Echo in Surround Mode - VoiceCom Right Channel Only - G-Keys

So far I really enjoy my new G930's. Although I've come across a few issues with them I think could be corrected.

- While in "Surround Mode" all sounds have a slight echo/reverb to them, like a cheesy "Vienna Hall" setting on a home surround receiver. This really bothers me, and alters the way things "should" sound in 7.1, is there anyway to remove this while keeping the 7.1 separation in tact? I don't see an option in the Control Panel for this. I understand the surround mode is virtual and not actually 7 individual speaker drivers, but it would be great to eliminate this small effect on the sound.

- I use Mumble as my preferred voice communication, while in "Stereo Mode" ALL AUDIO from Mumble only comes out of the right channel, including program sounds like WAV dings and notifications.

- Will we eventually be able to bind custom keys to the G-Keys? I would love to bind just a keyboard key from my G-19. Or even perhaps a direct Push-To-Talk in Mumble, but cloning an existing key would be the easiest approach for any non-supported program.

Thanks for the great product.

Logi Nu
Stealth_S

Re: G930 - Reverb/Echo in Surround Mode - VoiceCom Right Channel Only - G-Keys

I have the same issue, but in Teamspeak.  Sound from teamspeak in right ear only when in stereo mode.  And 7.1 has a really bad echo/reverb sound that I cannot stand.  I hear Skype only plays in one ear as well.  I really hope that they fix this because I do like this headset but can use it until this is corrected.  I still have yet to see Logitech confirm that this is a known issue that they are working on.  Funny, Ventrillo works fine but I don't like to use that program.

Please HELP Logitech, I have not given up on you guys!!

Logi Browser
hydraulix

It seems like it's all software based and just a matter of time before the stuff is resolved.

The hardware seems to function well, and I am really pleased with the overall sound quality and the absence of that horrible thing known as "The Wire"

let's hope for a good driver update soon!

Logi Nu
DragonSpawn

I have the exact same issues with my G35 and I have been in contact with customer support about the reverb/echo. This is apparently an unconfirmed issue with these headsets.

So, unless you guys already have, you should contact customer support about it. Just posting on the forum won't guarantee that they are going to notice it.

Logi Nu
Zecixx

So think I have shed some light on the issue. It appears that this Echo / Reverb effect is happening when the headset is trying to virtualize a stereo output into surround sound. When I say output, I mean the signal coming from an application, not the actual sound you hear. When I have my G930s in stereo mode, things sound fine. When I hit the switch I hear the echo.

What I did to reduce the echo was change when I hit the Dolby Surround switch. I tested this with Matrix Reloaded Car chase scene and with GTA IV.

First with Matrix. Using VLC started the movie up in Stereo Mode on the headset. Then I changed the Audio settings to:

Audio Track: 5.1 Surround Sound English
Audio Device: 5.1

The sound cut out for a moment then returned and it sounded... well strange, voices dulled, no bass, etc. Then hit the switch on the headset. Bass returned, voices clear, bullets ricocheting allover the place. TOTALLY AWESOME!

Then with GTA IV I loaded up the game, again headset in stereo mode. Set the audio options to surround sound

Options > Audio > Output: Surround Sound Rear

After a few seconds when I change menu items I noticed that only right channel was coming in, so I hit the switch on the headset and better sound came out. Again same noticable change, bass returened, clear in both ears. 

As mentioned before, I say reduced because here is what I have noticed. Surround sound output has no reverb effect, but ONLY when surround sound on the head set is activated AFTER a surround sound source is output. When I have the surround sound switch on before, and activate the surround sound source, I still have the reverb effect.

Stereo sound output still has reverb effects. Niko's footsteps are in stereo as his left footstep will come out of the left speaker, and so on. Music in the car has reverb. Monaural sounds however are not affected as far as I can tell; engine sounds, cops yelling, bullets, screetching tires, crashing, etc. Pre-rendered (loading scenes, etc,) cut scenes have the reverb, but game rendered (dialog with Niko and other charachters) cut scenes do not.

I think this helps, at least I can enjoy my movies with these headsets, but for now, I am just going to keep the games in stereo. These head sets still have incredible bass response!

However I think logitec needs to come with a better driver / software that forces stereo sounds to NOT be virtualized even when the switch is on Dolby mode. Additionally if already in surround sound mode, the headset needs to recognize that there is now a surround sound output and stop trying to virtualize all the channels. If that happens technicaly the switch could be left in surround sound mode all the time, and stereo sources would no longer be affected. Then I guess future models, the switch would be unnecessary and could be removed.

I hope somebody can replicate and post, and bump.

Also last thing noticed was if I switched to and fro surround sound / stereo AFTER loading a surround sound output, the reverb would never come back.

Logi Nu
ArchibaldNME

"if already in surround sound mode, the headset needs to recognize that there is now a surround sound output and stop trying to virtualize all the channels"

I think you misunderstand how the 7.1 works with these headphones. ALL surround sound is virtualized, even if the source is 5.1/7.1.

The problem is that the way Logitech is doing it causes a mild, yet spectacularly annoying, reverb. It's not so bad in games, but movies are horrible. They all sound like the actors are in a tin can. I thought I would get used to it, but it just gets more and more obnoxious. I've given up and just use 2 channel mode, which defeats the purpose of getting these headphones in the first place.