Logi Nu
qonf

G930 linux

Hi

I am considering buying the G930 Headset, but i require that its basic functions sound/mic work with linux.

I tried to google this, but cannot find anyone with any experience attempting this.

Has anyone tried or heard of someone who has tried to use this headset with linux?

cheers

qonf

Logi Nu
bigjr

Re: G930 linux

The G930 works fine under Ubuntu 10.x.

The Test Soundfile its ok.. but wish me a little more :smileyhappy: 2-3 dts or dolby  Train-, Chopper- or Carsounds files for show the performence.  im missing a Linux Software for Voice morphing.  in the moment the G-Key have no real funktion...

bigjr

Logi Nu
qonf

[ Edited ]

awsome, thanks for the info.

I am running fedora mostly, but if its working for ubuntu, then atleast its possible to get it to work with linux.

I have no idea of the state of drivers with respect to usb sound, but if you have it working that must mean that there exist atleast some basic drivers and that they are bundled in ubuntu.

I love how logitech sticks to established standards. It acctually posible to use their stuff in linux.

cheers

PS: I might acctually opt for the F540, as it seems that less can go wrong with it, also its cheaper. I will be loosing the 3D though, but is it realy worth it...

Logi Nu
DarylLyn

After reading favorable forum posts, I decided to give the Logitech G930 a try in Linux.  I am a fan of openSuSE, and would like them to work natively in that distro.  I am no n00b to Linux, and am willing to compile kernel modules and worse to make a piece of hardware run.

After an initial problem making pulseaudio get along with the headphones, I was quite pleased that the headphones (and mic) worked (even if only in stereo mode).

The moment I touched the volume wheel, I think I started the problem.  About 2 minutes after trying the volume wheel, my entire system locked up.  (so locked up that SysRq-S,U,B did nothing.)

I am quite impressed with the sound quality in Windows, but I did not pay nearly $200 for a pair of headphones that I cannot connect to the computer that I develop software on and need the wireless headphone / mic for skype. (and even better would be: routing ERROR level messages to the back left, routing CRITICAL messages to the back right, routing skype instance 1 to the front right, skype instance 2 to front left, music to central right and left, and mute music on pressing G1 button to anwer call from skype1, and G3 for skype2, and G2 for pandora/music source to pause.)

The routing of sound is easily handled in Linux and pulseaudio, as I currently am running 6 screens, and have my audio set to route to the speakers on the screen that I have designated.

At the moment I would report Logitech G930 as INCOMPATIBLE with openSuSE 12.1 due to the persistent (and SEVERE) lockup issues with the use of the buttons and volume wheel.

If someone from Logitech wants to follow up with me, I am very willing to work with ANYONE who wants to make hardware more compatible in linux.

Logi Visitor
Chazar

I am using the g930 under openSUSE 12.1 and 12.2 (KDE, 64bit). It only works in stereo mode and audio is perfectly clear for use with Skype, but the sound quality is very bad for music and movies, although uisng an equalizer can make it ok-ish, but nowhere near as good as on Windows. The volume wheel also works fine for me, no hangups.

However, I often have a problem if I use the g930 at the same time as my Logitech m570 Trackball: everything works fine, until at some point left-mouse clicks stop working (for all connected pointing devices, not just for the m570). Unplugging and replugging the g930 (or alternatively the m570) immediately fixes the problem. So somehow the two Logitech devices interfere with each other under Linux. :smileysad: 

Chazar happily uses a Harmony 885 to control a WD TV Live Streamer, an Onkyo TX-SR607 AVR, Sony TV & BD, Samsung Cable Tuner, Grundig VCR and Busch-Jaeger Light.
Logi Nu
GENiEBEN

That is because it assigns volume wheel as Mouse Button 1 and 2, and the Power button as Mouse Button 3.

I've wrote a guide on how to fix that and also assign the G-Keys over here: http://elgenieben.blogspot.ro/2013/10/logitech-g930-headset-g-keys-under.html

The guide was wrote and tested under Mint15 + ALSA + Banshee.