Logi Browser
ZeuSeason

How to get G930 to work like headphones?

I just purchased this headset so I'm getting used to how these work.  One of the more baffling things I'm trying to understand is how these don't work like normal headphones unfortunately as that's what I was expecting when I purchased them.  So, I'm curious:

How do I get the G930 to function like normal headphones?  I would like sound to be thru the headset when I turn them on and then off (to my PC's speakers) when I turn the headset off.  Currently the only way to do this is to remove the USB receiver so my computer doesn't recognize them anymore which is a real inconvenience when I need or want to use them.  I've tried the 'set to default' option in playback devices already.  Turning the headset off with the USB receiver flashing green still does not port sound to my PC speakers.

One other issue I'm having with these in regards to functioning like headphones is often the software on my PC will not play sound to this headset when I turn them on.  Even more so, audio from my media player will play sound to the headset but the game I'm playing plays sound to my PC speakers at the same time.  This occurs when I decide to turn the headset on during gameplay and I need to restart the game client for sound to be played in the headset.

I'm used to typical wired headphones where you plug them in and all audio plays thru the headphones and then unplug to immediately play audio back to PC speakers.  This wireless headset's drivers/software seems to emulate a sound card, not a sound plug-in playback device.

Operating system: Vista x64

Logi Journeyman
Asmodian

Re: How to get G930 to work like headphones?

[ Edited ]

Saddly this is expected behavior with all USB headsets.  It is a Windows issue.  Using typical wired headphones as you are used to does not change the audio device, just the output port on the same device, so Windows is not involved.

It is the responsibility of the application or game to change its audio device if the Windows default device changes but many do not. Also Microsoft decided to not allow programs to change the default audio device so the Logitech drivers cannot (using a documented API at least) change the default device when they notice the headset power on and off.

Sorry. :smileysad:

ZeuSeason

Is this any better in Windows 7?

So, no way to have sound port to headset when turned on and then to speakers when turned off?

Logi Journeyman
Asmodian

No it is the same in Windows 7.

No, no way to switch back and forth.  As you found unplugging the dongle is the best way as Windows notices the device disapear and switches.

kahmeal

There is the option of using a small third party program called soundswitch to switch between default output devices. By using a hotkey (ctrl+alt+enter, which you can even bind to one of the g-keys if you wish), the program quickly switches the default output/recording device between the headset and your speakers/secondary microphone. Works great for me.

Source: https://github.com/therms/soundswitch/downloads

Logi Rook
jgt1942

Try the sound switch app, see my post at http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Headphones-Headsets-Microphones/Hot-key-switch-between-G930-amp-Speake...

JGT
Desktop-S4 (Win8.1 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 12TB (4-3TB Drives, Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 6 core-AMD 890FX Chipset ), Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive
Logi Browser
ZeuSeason

Regardless of whether it's 'windows' fault, you'd think Logitech would be able to walk around this with little effort.

Logi Rook
jgt1942

Sorry dude, you just don't understand. It  is sorta like having a bad tire rim on your car an complaining because the tire rim from your friends car (different mfg) will not fit. Go beat up MS, not logitech on this one.

JGT
Desktop-S4 (Win8.1 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 12TB (4-3TB Drives, Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 6 core-AMD 890FX Chipset ), Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive
Logi Rook
Daehawktitan

[ Edited ]

The simple fix is to make a shortcut on your desktop to SOUND. Easiest way is open control panel then drag the SOUND icon to your desktop. It's the way i do it. So if you are using the headphone and want to use speaker you click SOUND then right click the entry for speakers and make that default sound device. To switch back to headphones right click the entry for them and make them default. Fast and easy.

And why it is this way was answered above..The headset is it's own sound card not just a device that plugs into your existing one.

Good Luck!! it's worth the trouble.