Logi Nu
Nottus

Can I have my speakers and my USB headset work at the same time?

I recently purchased the Logitech Premium USB Headset 350.  I am used to having sound on at the same time from my computer speakers and my headset.  I use the headset's mic mainly, but when I want to stay up late I turn off my computer speakers and listen through the headset so that I don't wake the kids.

My problem with the 350 is it seems I cannot have my speakers and my headset (sound) on at the same time.  I have Windows Vista and Vista only allows me to set one or the other as default.  The real problem is I have to restart whatever program I am wanting to use once I make a change in settings.  Why can't I have both my speakers and my headset play sound at the same time?  If I can't that makes this headset an annoying investment.
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mike_M

Re: Can I have my speakers and my USB headset work at the same time?

Hi Nottus,
It is an annoying feature of Windows that it cannot switch between sound outputs on the fly. I have this same issue when listening to music through an app like WinAmp and want to go from Speakers to a headphone output. I have to close WinAmp and restart it.
Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike
Logi Nu
aburgard

I've been trying to do this with the ClearChat Pro USB.  On Vista in Control Panel > Sounds, both my USB headset and my Creative Sound Car show up.  Regardless of which is set to default I have audio from the speakers but none from the headset in Media Player.  It seems that opening and closing doesn't make a difference here.  When playing WoW I am able to change the sound settings to use the headset, but then I also don't get sound from the speakers.

Can't we just run sound from both?
Logi Nu
coop9653

no answer to this in months!

I desperately need to have the ClearChat either

1.  work with the speakers both on!

2. Switch from one to the other properly!  

Please support answer this.,

TLa
Logi Nu
TLa

The simple answer to this question is YES you can have sound produced by both Logitech USB headset and normal speakers setup. You cannot do this with Windows alone. All you need to have is an another program called Virtual Audio Cable which transfer an input audio stream digitally (lossless quality) through vitutal audio cable device which in turn split the signal to both Logitech USB headset and speakers using Audio Repeater.

For more info: visit this blog that mentions about the method. By doing this, I am able to use my Logitech USB wireless ClearChat headset and my normal speakers at the same time.

Hope it helps

Logi Nu
coop9653

very nice

I will leave the same question on your blog

I see you have the repeater run twice.  Do you have to configure all this every time you start the computer?

TLa
Logi Nu
TLa

[ Edited ]

yes you do have to reconfigure everytime which kindda s*cks. What i do is to just leave those 2 repeaters on my taskbar. I know it would be better if the program starst automatically and remember its wave-in and wave-out options.

So far this is the best solution I've found for this kind of need. Hopefullly, Logitech can develope something similar to satisfy its customers like us.

Message Edited by TLa on 06-12-2009 03:57 PM
Logi Nu
coop9653

yeah,, right now I am only using the headset for skype calls

so I keep my speakers at default and have to select the headset in the skype settings every time I start

that works also

but still is not optimal

Hell it only took microsoft 5-10 years to figure out, people may want to hear sounds from multiple applications at once, like music and system sounds.  Now they just gotta figure out, that maybe we might just possibly have more than one output device as well!