Logi Nu
Werther

Logitech Clearchat microphone not working in Vista

Hi all,

first of all, I apologize for opening another thread with this problem, but I read the sticky, I searched every other thread in this forum and didn't find a proper solution for my problem.
Here we go:

I run Windows Vista Home Premium with on a Dell XPS M1710 with an Onboard soundcard (Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1], as stated by Everest). I don't have the USB version of the headset, but the one with microphone jacks. The earpieces work just fine, but I don't get the blasted microphone working. I read about 45893 threads online, all advising to either unmute the microphone, changing the default sound input device in the sound options, one stating the problem was a BIOS function called instant-on... Not working for me.
When I open the sound options and the recording tab, there is only one option: Microphone / Line in, SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. There is no advanced settings menu for my soundcard or anything like it. I also heard something about the User Account control being a possible source of the problem, but for crying out loud, nothing works.

So I'm turning to this forum, hoping to find some personalized solution. Cookies for everyone if you get this blasted thing working.
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mike_M

Re: Logitech Clearchat microphone not working in Vista

Hi Werth,
I am not trying to sound like a know it all, or trying to make you feel bad, but what were you looking for when you looked in Sounds/recording ? The microphone connects to your sound card. There are no other devices to configure but that. The microphone has no drivers, does not show up as a device and only produces sounds if your sound card is set up. Most sound cards ARE NOT set up properly by the manufacturer, and require that they be re-installed. This is accomplished by uninstalling the device in Device Manager and the scanning for hardware changes. You may need to download a more complete set of drivers from your sound card manufacturer.
When a reply is posted that says that you need to look at your sound card configuration, that really is where the issue lays., and as much as I would like to post the configuration settings for the 10,000 different sound cards out there, both built on to motherboards and add on types, the information is readily available on those sound card sites.
If it comes down to not understanding various options on your sound card, we can try to help.
Please let me know how you make out.

Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike
Logi Nu
Werther

[ Edited ]
Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. I'm not mad, don't worry, I know that I'm lacking certain knowledge - that's the reason I posted here.

Okay, so I'll have to reinstall the sound card drivers. Here we have another problem coming up - me not knowing which device exactly in the device manager it is. As stated before, my sound card seems to be a "Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]". In the device manager, I found at least 2 devices that sound a bit like the thing I'm looking for - SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec? Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M/U)LPC Interface Controller (27B9)? High Definition Audio Controller (this name also shows up under the recording tab, below "microphone / line in)?
Or a different approach, is there any place on my computer I can go to to be told "this is the driver that makes your computer speak"?

Mike, I WANT you to be a know-it-all, else I'm lost. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Werther on 08-17-2008 05:52 PM

Message Edited by Werther on 08-17-2008 05:53 PM
Logi Nu
Werther

Okay, nevermind, i just reinstalled the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec and got a popup after restarting and plugging in the headset, so the computer seemed to have detected it. Worked just fine afterwards, I'm just curious if it will continue to do so.
Thanks for your help anyway, really appreciate it.
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mike_M

[ Edited ]
Hi Werther,
Not a problem. As I said, I had this problem with my Acer Vista laptop. I was delivering training on some of our products and I couldn't get the sound card to output anything. One of my trainees pointed out that it looked like only half the sound card was installed. I uninstalled it, scanned for new hardware and lo and behold I had another Audio device in there. Acer had the drivers on the hard drive, they installed and I proceeded with the training.
Our expectations are set very high when we start up our computers and don't expect to have to do any major installs when we first boot up. I have since found that motherboard chipset drivers were incomplete as well.
You shouldn't have any more problems with your headset.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to help.

Message Edited by Mike_M on 08-18-2008 05:23 PM
Thank you for your post.

Logitech Customer Support for further assistance.
You can also Email Us

Regards,
Mike