Logi Browser
magicman

Sorry, this software is not compatible with your operating system...

[ Edited ]
Hi. I've tried to download the latest iTouch software (v 2.22 build 289) from the website, which is designed, according to the page (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?CONTENTID=5360&CRID=1796&PAGE=downloads) specifically for XP. When I download and run the setup program, the error message pops up saying:

Sorry, this software is not compatible with your operating system. Your device will still provide basic functionality. The Installer will now close.

I definately am running a stable and updated version of Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, so why is Logitech not detecting this?

Thanks.

Message Edited by Pegasus on 06-23-2007 03:35 AM
Logi Nu
Worzel

Re: Sorry, this software is not compatible with your operating system...

I am getting exactly the same message when i try to install it also. I have windows XP SP 2 and it is all up to date with its updates from microsoft.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Logi Guru
EdNorton

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of XP? I don't think iTouch supports XP 64. At least it is not listed on the download page. 
Logi Browser
magicman

Sorry, I should have specified that. It's 32-bit, and was bought OEM, although I would hope that wouldn't alter anything. It's a very recent install onto a software Raid0, and it's certainly not a virus of any kind. I keep my system pretty clean with antivirus, anti-spyware programs and hijackthis amongst others.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
bluja000

This is not uncommon. What happens is that there is an entry in the registry that fools the computer (and Itouch software) into believing you have a 64-bit processor. You might want to call us, because we can lead you to where you can rename the entry and fool the computer again. This will fool the computer into recognizing your processor as 32-bit, allowing you to install the itouch software.
Logi Browser
magicman

If possible could you simply post the registry entry to alter, and what to alter it to? It'd be preferable to calling.

Thanks.
Logi Nu
MaNimal

I have just bought an 'Access' keyboard, and it has immediately given me trouble, in that during games I can only use any two keys at once, (which makes most 3D action games completely un-playable) and so I thought I'd see if actually installing the drivers would make any difference...
This is when I came up with this exact same error message.
Obviously, "basic functionality" seems to pretty much negate having bought it in the first place, as now I don't only have the original problem, I also cannot use any of it's multimedia functions!
I must say that Logitech have rushed out a pretty poor driver if they can't even get this driver to recognize the operating system correctly! Don't blame it on microsoft - where would the company be without them!
Somebody absolutely must provide information on how to get around this problem, whether we have to tweak our registry a bit, alter some lines of code, run a hotfix or download an altered driver matters not:
Just tell us here in the forums how to fix it!
Otherwise I'll have to shortly be taking it back to the shop for a refund, (along with a printout of a captured screenshot of the error message), informing them that there is currently no fix for it.
I'll certainly be more wary of badly written drivers from Logitech in the future, which I hope someone can help me to sort out;
Had you posted a solution here in the first place I wouldn't have had to ask!!!
Please help...
Sincerely
M Neale
Logi Visitor
Kyora

magicman wrote:
If possible could you simply post the registry entry to alter, and what to alter it to? It'd be preferable to calling.

Thanks.

Regardless of what companies support forums you go to, you'll rarely if ever see anyone post on the forums themselves how to make edits to your registry.  The reason for that is if something is altered incorrectly it could have serious consequences for your PC.  It's always best to call and talk to someone in support when doing this type of thing to remove that potential risk.  I'm sure that's why bluja000 didn't post the steps on the forums.
Logi Browser
magicman

[ Edited ]
Well, after trawling the internet, I have found both the reason and the solution to this problem. I feel it unfair not to let others know the solution. But it will involve editing an entry in the registry, therefore to cover both myself and Logitech:

Editing registry entries can severely damage a pc, and what I am about to post, if you attempt it, you do at your own risk. Neither I, nor Logitech, take any responsibility for damage caused as a result of your registry editing activities.

This apparently is caused (in my case and others) when you install Sound Blaster X-Fi software and drivers before you install Logitech's iTouch software. The Sound Blaster software tricks the iTouch software into thinking that you have a 64-bit operating system, even if you just have a 64-bit processor.

The way I got round this was going into the registry by clicking start, run, typing 'regedit', and clicking ok.

Then locating the registry key  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node], and right clicking on the 'Wow6432Node', and renaming it to 'aWow6432Node' (without the quotes). Keep the registry editor open, and install the software as you would normally. It should work. Once the software is installed (make sure you don't choose restart the computer in the wizard yet), find the entry you've just edited (bear in mind it will move to a new alphabetical position). Then change the 'aWow6432Node' back to 'Wow6432Node', and close the registry.

Hope this works for you, it certainly worked for me.

Message Edited by magicman on 09-02-2006 06:36 AM

Message Edited by magicman on 09-02-2006 06:36 AM

Logi Nu
Lady8x

Worked for me too!!! Many Thanks for the post. How did you figure that out? would like to know. Very smart of you!

Jan