Logi Nu
impetuouslist

programming the F keys of the EX110

My question is: What procedures do I use to program the F keys and where can I find comprehensive help.

I have recently purchased an EX110 cordless keyboard and mouse. I have used the CD to set them up, they work very well as far as a mouse and keyboard go. However, I want to program the F9 through to F12 keys for special programs that I use everyday. I cannot find any assistance on the CD which came with the keyboard, there is NO support from Logitech that I can find. I have searched these forums for over a week and still have found nothing to assist me. There is no manual that I can find to assist me either.

The FUNCTION keys merely work as Function keys at the moment. I notice that there is an F Mode key and if I select this key it will temporarily turn off the functions of the Function keys and change their modes to use the icons which they represent i.e. Help, [W] etc. I am assuming that the [W] key would activate MS Word - well in my case it won't (I do have MS Word installed). In fact, none of the programmable Function keys work at all THEY ARE NOT PROGRAMMED.

I read a post on these forums about a program called Set Point. Well apparently, that is part of the set up of the EX110 which came on the installation disk but it has done absolutely NOTHING. I also read that there is an update of the Set Point program dated June 2006 - BUT- according to recent posts about installing that update, it will cause the Function keys which (on some people's keyboard) are currently working to stop working.

The only thing that the Set up CD did do, was to put an annoying program of MusicMaker Juke box on my system. This is a program which I never asked for and which I will never use. It is an absolute and complete nuisance. It has now been completely removed.

I hope someone can give me the simple steps of fixing this dilemma up.

Many thanks,

Imp.
Logi Nu
davemeech

Re: programming the F keys of the EX110

Hmm, I have the Ex110 too, and my F keys are doing what they are programmed to do as default. Eg. F1 opens help, F2 opens Microsoft Word etc. They have done so since I had initially installed the keyboard and mouse software and hooked up the keyboard in mouse.

Through your start menu, go to "Logitech", then "Mouse & Keyboard, and then "settings". From there, you should be able to select keyboard, then click on the "f key" tab on the right side. There you should be able to confirm whether or not the F keys are programmed to run their default tasks or not. Also, you should be able to program the F9-F12 keys to do whatever you want, like open a file/program, webpage, folder etc.

If none of this works for you, I'd suggest re-installing the software and/or updating the drivers for your keyboard and mouse, and see if that works out for you.

My problem is, I don't want my F keys to be programmed for the shortcuts that Logitech has programmed as default. I want them to function normally depending on the program that I'm running. For example, in Diablo 2, the computer game I'm running, I should be able to set shortcuts to certain skills/abilities by pressing the F keys, but what happens is F1 opens help, F2 opens Microsoft Word, F3 Excel, F4 presentation etc. I don't know what I would do to have my F keys function as they would if it were a normal, generic keyboard. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Logi Nu
impetuouslist

Thank you Dave, that was a great suggestion to reinstall the program. The incredible thing was that the CD had not installed the program at all. What alerted me to think that the installation had not taken place was when I read your suggestion to click on start and then go to Logitech and look for the keyboard/mouse settings - those items weren't there. Anyway, I simply stuck the CD into the drive and followed the instructions CAREFULLY this time. I also made sure that the Music Juke Box was UN-TICKED as I didn't want that taking over my other programs i.e. Creative player and Windows media player.

I ONLY installed the KEYBOARD this time as I wanted to see what was going to happen. I have now programmed all of the keys including F9 through to F12.

Dave, it seems to me that you can program all of the F keys, you might have to fiddle around with them but you can assign key combinations to them and I checked the F1 [HELP] key in that area and you can change that as well.

After restarting my computer and going through the tutorial etc. I then removed the CD and reinserted it back into the drive and installed the MOUSE only this time. My mouse works much better and it is synchronised with my games as well. That means that  the speed and accuracy of the pointing device is more responsive.

Once again, thank you. I hope my response has also helped others in the forum.

Imp.
Logi Nu
davemeech

Haha, it always seems that some of the most mindboggling computer issues have the simplest solutions in hindsight. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

I'm still boggled with my issue though, I've thoroughly examined all of the options I have for programming my F keys, none of them seem to be what I'm looking for, I figured "default task" or "do nothing" would allow my F keys to do their normal tasks in each program. But default tasks is the default Logitech task, like help, Microsoft Word etc. and do nothing is exactly that, nothing at all, pointless keyboard keys. All of the rest of the options were to open some specific program/folder etc. I feel like I've exercised all options and came up with nothing. Either way, I may try contacting Logitech directly to see what solution they come up with. I'm thinking it's going to be something painfully simple that I've glanced over countless times. Thank you for your help though, greatly appreciated.
Logi Nu
impetuouslist

Dave, thank you for your quick response. I've just been thinking about your problem. I don't exactly know what it is at the moment. However, I understand it to be concerned with the F keys and their programmability with games, in particular 'Diablo'. Well as I see it, and this is only a suggestion. If you program the F keys using the Logitech software, you are only programming the F keys for the keyboard's ENHANCED mode. That means (you probably know this) that when you press the [F] Mode key the one to the right of the [F12] key, the keyboard goes into ENHANCED MODE, now is you press the [F] Mode key again, you will then return to STANDARD F Keys, so this means that you actually have 2 sets of [F] keys:manwink:. I would guess, and it's only a guess that there must be a utility program around whereby you can change the  [F] keys in their STANDARD mode.

I had a play around with the Logitech program and changed the [F1] key from HELP to launching a program, of course I changed it back again.

I hope this helps.

Imp.
Logi Nu
davemeech

[ Edited ]
Hahaha! As if it were that simple! I have completely disregarded that key altogether until now. Well consider us even then, both of our problems have been solved. Thanks for YOUR help this time, it was greatly appreciated, and logitech has one less dumb question to worry about.

P.S. Props on the mark-up in your responses, VERY clean and easy to read :smileytongue:

Message Edited by davemeech on 08-18-2006 12:55 AM