Logi Browser
fegul

Bought an MX5000: How should I install this

I've heard a lot of horror stories about this desktop set, but I bought it anyways.

I was wondering what would be the best installation process that would bring about the fewest problems.

Should I install Setpoint before I get it all setup?
Should I not install Setpoint period?
Are there any hacks that might be worth applying (I've heard a little about volume slider settings and the like)

Anything else I should be aware of?
HJW
Logi Visitor
HJW

Re: Bought an MX5000: How should I install this

1. If you dont install Setpoint you'll experience the least problems, I reckon. But all function keys will not work, and therefore you did buy the keyboard (i did) so installing setpoint is something like a 'must'. Anyway use your mx5000 set also without setpoint (for a short period) so you will notice any difference...

UberOptions is a powerful addon. You can find it's link here at the forum, try to search.

gr.
Logi Browser
fegul

I did find that link to Uberoptions.  I plan on imaging my drive before installing Setpoint since I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it.  I hope this thing works out for me
Logi Browser
KenS

After two weeks with an MX5000 I found the best install was to install it in my closet and go to a different unit.

The MX5000 Bluetooth mouse burns battery life much faster than the standalone (non bluetooth) MX1000 (almost 2x as fast)
The MX5000 keyboard suffers from lag and repeating keys issues with or without the setpoint software.
If you want to use the features you paid for (especially the Bluetooth hub) you really need to run the 2.60 version of Setpoint. Hopefully, they'll fess up to the issues with the keyboard and grant us all with a fix.

Don't bother with trying to put newer Bluetooth stacks they won't fix the issues. I did notice some slight improvements with the buggy Setpoint by upgrading to 3.01...but they're recommending against it...so you may want to hold off and hope they give their customers a true fix.
Logi Browser
ktoliver

DO NOT INSTALL SETPOINT 2.60.  'Nuff said.:smileymad:

Stick with the version on your CD. Setpoint 2.60 includes a WIDCOMM Bluetooth driver that is unsigned (meaning untested or certified by Microsoft) that will cause problems in your XP operating system. I experienced crashes and intermittant system system reboots upon restart after installing this software. The offending driver is BTAUDIO.SYS and WILL NOT BE REMOVED if you uninstall the 2.60 Setpoint software; you have to uninstall the WIDCOMM software on its own and go back to windows BT drivers before you reinstall your CD Setpoint version.

2.60 is not worth the headache. And, yes, the most offending issue is getting two characters instead of one when you start typing after the keyboard is sleeping. PITA but no fix to my knowledge at this time...

Logi Browser
fegul

I do have the Toshiba Bluetooth stack that came with my Dell, would that cause any complications or am I good with those?

What if I dont want the WIDCOMM stack, and opt for the Toshiba? Will Setpoint not work then?

I've already imaged my HD so in case anything bad happens I can go back, and I'll probably do some testing to see which combo nets the best results
Logi Browser
ktoliver

When you install, the software will give an option to install the "Logitech Bluetooth Solution" (aka WIDCOMM) or the Microsoft solution. I do not know what impact the Toshiba stack will have; you may not be given that choice if the installer does not recognize the Toshiba drivers. If your CD is a version earlier than 2.60, I'd select the "Logitech Bluetoooth Solution".
Logi Browser
fegul

[ Edited ]

Well I got it up and running with Setpoint 2.60 and the Toshiba stack.  The keyboard seems to be working fine, I get an OSD and everything.  The only problem now is integration between Foobar2000 and the media function keys on the keyboard.  They work when Foobar is the active window, but not when its minnimized

EDIT: I did have an OSD and now its gone lol.  weird.

EDIT2: and now its back...

Message Edited by fegul on 07-17-200610:11 AM

Message Edited by fegul on 07-17-200610:20 AM

Logi Browser
fegul

One thing that is really bothering me now is the fact that Setpoint wont see my mouse.  The mose works and everything, but Setpoint fails to give it a tab like the keyboard.  I've inserted the BT adapter that came with the whole thing into the USB port and tried to run the connect utility, but it doesnt recognize the BT adapter thats plugged in.
Logi Browser
ktoliver

What Setpoint version came on your CD in your package?