Logi Visitor
spastro

Re: MX5000 - Poor product or Configuration problems??

[ Edited ]
I was having some issues with this keyboard as well. I did a bit of testing and most of my problems were caused by the logitech program desktop manager or messenger, i cant remember the exact name but it would pop up with messages from logitech telling me junk.

I uninstalled that and i have been quite happy ever since.
Im not saying that will fix the problems for you as it fixed mine, but i guess its worth a try.

Message Edited by Pegasus on 07-05-2006 02:20 AM

Logi Rook
dianebrat

"MX5000 - Poor product or Configuration problem"

I think my answer is decent hardware ruined by simply horrible software, in fact I just rebuilt my system and I decided the hit ono performance and aggravation for the MX5000 keyboard was just too much.

I got the BT combo MX5000 KBD and MX1000 mouse for what I was going to pay just for the mouse, so I can use the KBD as a doorstop and I still feel I got a decent deal.

In fact I use the MX1000 BT mouse at work on my laptop with built-in BT and I adore it.

But the MX5000 KBD will sit in the corner until Setpoint 4.0 since 3.0 didn't solve any of my concerns.

Diane
Logi Browser
MouseManiac

I am so saddened by the poor performance of my MX5000.

For years I have only used Logitech products. I have recommended them at businesses where I worked and consulted. I bought them as gifts for family and friends. Companies have bought 100's of Logitech mice because I raved about their reliability and functionality. I have been sent products from other makers to test-drive and have always found them to fall short of Logitech. Each new product that came out I bought and had NO problems. Then came the MX5000.

Wow! How bad can a product be and still ship? I bought it without checking to see what others thought of it because I knew that if it was from Logitech it had to be good. Was I wrong.

Of course I thought Logitech would be all over these problems. That is plural. I emailed. I called. I searched the website. No help. Some attempts, but no solutions. The mouse lagged badly, the software hung up, the keyboard stopped working.

I live attached to my keyboard and mouse, as do many people. I have 3 computers and a laptop and go through keyboards and mice once or twice a year. My income depends on these things working. I could live with some problems. I cannot live with all of these with no hope for a resolution. So I am using my reliable Logitech MX Laser mouse and my Logitech Media Keyboard Elite and I am looking for a replacement. My MX5000 (and the one I boutght for my wife) is in a supply room and will probably be trashed. I suspect my relationship with Logitech will be too.
Logi Browser
Sierra

Potential Solution - Ditch the Bluetooth aspects of the MX5000 in favor of the old-style RF

A Logitech technician (very helpful and knowledgeable), after confirming tonight my system is in fact set up right, told me its easy to modify the system to use the old-style RF wireless, rather than Bluetooth.  I don't know why Logitech hasn't posted this as a possible solution, but here's how to make it work:

(1) Using Add/Remove Programs, remove the WIDCOMM Bluetooth handler

(2) Using Add/Remove Programs, remove the MX5000's SetPoint software.

Be careful, as I uninstalled the WIDCOMM and lost both keyboard and mouse.  Glad I have a nearby office with PS-2 style keyboard and mouse, so I could again control the machine...  Once the system has rebooted, the mouse and keyboard flpi over to the old-style RF.

To get the display to fully function, you can download the MX3000 SetPoint 2.60 software from the Logitech download page.  It supports full functioning, including the display and function buttone, via the old-style RF!  The MX3000 SetPoint file is named "setpoint260enu.exe" (46MB) vs the MX5000 "setpoint260btenu.exe" (87MB).

I'm very hopeful the switch converts what was otherwise destined to be potential boat anchor into a fully functional keyboard/mouse...

Logi Apprentice
THeBaka

Re: Potential Solution - Ditch the Bluetooth aspects of the MX5000 in favor of the old-style RF

Also for those using broadcomm wireless G adapters (may work for other brands) go into device manager(right click on My Computer in the start menu and hit manage then look for device manager) and go to your properties for your wifi device and depending on drivers there might be a entry for "Bluetooth Collaboration" enable that. It allows your wireless product to detect bluetooth singals (with a sacrafice in bandwith) and lower its power output as so not to interfer as much with your bluetooth products.
A confused caller to IBM was having troubles printing documents. He told the technician that the computer had said it "couldn't find printer." The user has also tried turning the computer screen to face the printer but that his computer still couldn't "see" the printer.
Logi Nu
Jaxta

Re: Potential Solution - Ditch the Bluetooth aspects of the MX5000 in favor of the old-style RF

Oh my god, having only intermediate IT knowlege I have been perservering/battling with the MX5000 combo for 2 months, all the time convinced that it was my lack of knowlege that was causing the lagging, drop outs, etc etc. Responses from Logitech were worded in a way which led me to believe that my many problems were unique and strangly enough the tech support never mentioned these forumns. A "known fault" quote some where in the email correspondance would have saved me hours of running my own head in circles. The MX5000 combo is up to double the price of other combos here in Australia and simply being advised initially by logitech that I was experiencing common faults (or maybe even mentioning that there is a whole forum dedicated to MX5000 faults!) would have enabled me to take it back to the store...but to late now. I only wonder how many other home users are nearing insanity thinking that they are the only one with persistent issues with this combo.
Logi Browser
Sierra

Update: Potential Solution - Ditch the Bluetooth aspects of the MX5000 in favor of the old-style RF

I've been working for 3 days solid without a single problem with the MX5000 communications using the old style RF...  Granted, it a bit short time-wise to conclude all is well long-term, but I'd never had even one day without a problem...

Paid too much for an old style RF unit, but I'm happy keyboard/mouse is stable and I can concentrate on the real challenges of my job...

Logi Nu
allanb

I too have bad lag at times and I had the random disconnection, both problems seem to have a simple work round.

The lag seems to be minimised if not eliminated by simply setting the cursor acceleration to 'none' in setpoint. I have only just found this fix as suggested in another thread so I don't know if this is a stable work around.

The random disconnection I found to be related to the PC going into hibernation/suspend mode, blue tooth would not reconnect when PC was woken up. I stopped the PC from going into these modes and the disconnection has not occured since, it has been 2 months of no longer having this problem.

I must finish by voicing my disappoint in this product, I am starting to wish I had bought an RF keyboard/mouse combo. Lets hope Logitech gets the software sorted for the MX5000 sooner rather than later.
Logi Rook
dianebrat

Sierra wrote:

A Logitech technician (very helpful and knowledgeable), after confirming tonight my system is in fact set up right, told me its easy to modify the system to use the old-style RF wireless, rather than Bluetooth. I don't know why Logitech hasn't posted this as a possible solution, but here's how to make it work:

(1) Using Add/Remove Programs, remove the WIDCOMM Bluetooth handler

(2) Using Add/Remove Programs, remove the MX5000's SetPoint software.

Be careful, as I uninstalled the WIDCOMM and lost both keyboard and mouse. Glad I have a nearby office with PS-2 style keyboard and mouse, so I could again control the machine... Once the system has rebooted, the mouse and keyboard flpi over to the old-style RF.

To get the display to fully function, you can download the MX3000 SetPoint 2.60 software from the Logitech download page. It supports full functioning, including the display and function buttone, via the old-style RF! The MX3000 SetPoint file is named "setpoint260enu.exe" (46MB) vs the MX5000 "setpoint260btenu.exe" (87MB).

I'm very hopeful the switch converts what was otherwise destined to be potential boat anchor into a fully functional keyboard/mouse...

Just to add to this, I'm just not seeing that you did anything other then reverting back to the built in WinXP Bluetooth stack.

You've eliminated the Logitech provided Widcomm stack, what I'm not seeing is that you removed the BT adapter and are using an older RF adapter.

The Logitech P/N 831406-1000 adapter is BT, not RF, and it will make a handshake to the keyboard with or without a BT stack if I'm reading things right in the other forums.

If you already have a functioning BT adapter (the default XP stack is my guess) and the WinXP Stack, then the non-BT Setpoint will install, the only reason you need the BT enabled Setpoint is to do a firmware update on the BT adapter, and a few other misc BT hooks that you can live without.

Tell me you're running the 2 devices on a dongle other then the Logitech BT dongle, and I'll believe it a bit more.

But to summarize, it just sounds like you're running the BT adapter and the units are linking to it without the added overhead of the stack, you can do this if the BT Dongle has mated to the units already.

Diane
Logi Apprentice
THeBaka

[ Edited ]
Yeah I didn't want to comment on it but I thought that only thing that happen was that she reverted to the MS stack that came with SP2. And I agree that unless you using a non logitech dongle and then i can see how this might be correct.

I just hate embrassing people out in the open. Thats rule number one of helpdesk class. (Poster is a helpdesk worker)

Message Edited by THeBaka on 07-10-200612:55 PM

A confused caller to IBM was having troubles printing documents. He told the technician that the computer had said it "couldn't find printer." The user has also tried turning the computer screen to face the printer but that his computer still couldn't "see" the printer.