Logi Nu
erotavlas

How to replace battery on K800 Wireless Keyboard?

[ Edited ]

Hi My batteries don't seem to be lasting too long so I wanted to swap them out for a fresh pair of rechargeables to see if it helps. I unscrewed the battery cover thinking it was going to be easy but was disappointed to see that one of the batteries is located in a awkward spot and also has some black plastic covering it preventing me from removing the battery. What do I do? How do I replace the battery?

Very poor design of the battery compartment.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Cintech

Re: How to replace battery on K800 Wireless Keyboard?

Hello erotavlas,

The Expected battery life is 15 hours to 10 days depending on backlight settings. Allow three to six hours for a full charge .

Please contact customer care for your region to discus warranty or repair options.

Regards

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
erotavlas

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't answer my question. How do I replace the battery?
there is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself (as far I can tell) so I see no need to go through warranty / repair etc The easiest thing is to change the battery as a check which I should be allowed to do easily enough.

Can I remove that black piece of plastic without damaging anything? Do I cut it out, pull it out? I don't even know what possible functional purpose this black piece of plastic has except to make it difficult for me to change the battery

Also regarding the recharge time, when I connect the keyboard to the USB Cable, are the 3 light by the power button that indicate battery strength supposed to flash throughout the whole charging cycle or only briefly. Is there any Indication as to when the batteries are fully charged?

Please let me know, Thank you

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Cintech

Hi erotavlas,

As you have seen the k800 was not designed to have the user replace the battery . The warranty in this case includes the battery . While it is charging the lights blink until full then they should stay solid . As for removing the black piece of plastic , I'm sorry I do not have any documentation on that... OK I looked inside,  the black plastic seems to be tape,  I was able to peel it up enough to  remove the battery and put it back in . How ever this may void the warranty .

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
erotavlas

[ Edited ]

I think there is something wrong with my keyboard then. (since I'm still within 30 days of my stores return policy I'll just exchange it for another)  Yesterday I charged it up, until the lights stayed solid which to me indicated fully charged batteries.  I disconnected and used it a bit.  Backlight was on low and was used normally for a short time.  I noticed that only 2 of the 3 battery power inidicators were lit up

Today when I got home from work I noticed the light flashing red indicating dead batteries.  But the keyboard was not used the whole night or all of today while I was at work. Either there is something wrong with the batteries or the keyboard is not powering down when not in use.

Nevertheless, I hope you have a chance to give this feedback to the company regarding this issue of the battery compartment design.  I think this is a nice keyboard and it boggles my mind how logitech could have designed the battery compartment in that way, plus putting the plastic tape over one battery to prevent users from changing it themselves. I don't understand the rationale behind this or what purpose it serves. 

;

Logi Nu
kellimcb

I have this same keyboard and just now ran out of juice.  The way to recharge the batteries is to use the micro USB cord that came with the keyboard. You will see a small plug on the top side of the keyboard, aligned with the power lights. This uses a different micro USB plug than the one my digital camera uses, so you need the one that came with the keyboard.  There is no reason to open the battery compartment and take them out.

Logi Nu
szerencsetlen

I would have liked to replace the battery to a better one (2500MAh non-noname), because even with the lowest brightness setting it is sucked dry in a couple of days' work - but I can't. I can't replace a freaking consumer electronics grade rechargable battery, because it may void the warranty. This is my life's most expensive keyboard and yet I am not allowed to replace the battery - this is a joke, but I'm not laughing; it's on me.

Logi Nu
cackleberry

Have a lot of people seen the performance of the batteries become an issue?  I'm glad I found this thread.  Not being able to replace the batteries without voiding the warranty seems ridiculous to me. 

On a side note, I had a Logitech Harmony remote with a poor battery design that needed to ne replaced - twice!  It's great that Logitech replaced the units without issue, but it's still a hassle.  So battery performance in their products has become a major concern for me.

Logi Nu
dalastone

The keyboard is great! except for the battery life for me. Mine shipped with Sanyo Eneloops (2000mAh) and would only last 2-3 days with minimal use..  anyway, i may have "voided" my warranty, but i just carefully peeled back the tape. and removed the batteries. I replaced them with Sanyo 2700mAh) Nimh batteries and will see if i get better results. ..or not.

I don't know why they put that black piece over the one batter\y. it's kinda like a piece of eletrical tape.

MichaelKenward
Topics: 17
Solutions: 260

I am surprised that the batteries hold power for such a short time. Even the year-old K800 that I had to return for a warranty replacement (Enter key broke) went for weeks without a recharge. And I use it all day every day.

If you see that rapid a drain, I'd investigate the reasons. I doubt if new batteries would cure the problem.

Then again, the idea that simply opening the battery slot voids a warranty is bonkers. 

By the way, the suggestion that Logitech's micro-USB connector is different from those sold by other people is wrong. It is a standard USB connector.

I have used any number of micro USB connectors, few of them from Logitech, including one that came with my phone. I am currently recharging through a mini USB cable with a micro USB adaptor attached. So you can safely ignore that message. The user was probably using a camera with a different connector. My Canons have mini USB.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.