Logi Nu
spoj

How to turn on f-lock when there is no f-lock key?

Ok, I've done some searching about this already, and I'm rather perplexed (to put it politely).  How can a feature like an f-lock function be "not programmatically controlled" (as stated on a Microsoft page), when something  in my wife's current system (WinXP) is blatantly turning off the f-lock ???!?

OK; the problem. We have an "Internet 1500 wireless kbd/mouse combo" that has been working nicely for about a month now, but just today, my wife complained that the F2 key doesn't work in Excel anymore. Investigating I found the little [F] light on the receiver was off, and I remember when getting the keyboard, that this was always on because the keyboard has no f-lock key, presumably because it has additional little slim "media keys" that are programmable, leaving the F1-F12 to always act as originally intended!

Receiver is connected by USB (yes - seen posts about this also), and indeed, unplugging and plugging USB cable does turn on [F] light briefly, but then it goes off again within 1 or 2 seconds ! Sometimes, I can get the F1 to act as a "Help" key before the light goes out, but then it becomes dead again.   Also tried the "remove batteries" trick too - no help (and had to secure keyboard connection again).  Also, during boot, [F] key comes on whilst XP is logging in / loading things, but turns off near the end of the startup phase...

Hmmm...  I had a thought, and I do appear to have found the culprit!  The Logitech SetPoint software seems to be it - (says 4.0 on the CD). Disabling SetPoint from running has stopped the F-lock being turned off !

So I have "a" solution, but why is SetPoint now just decided to turn off F-lock on a keyboard where doing this makes no sense ??  Has it updated itself today?  And surely there is a key-combo to turn on F-lock;  why make a keyboard with no F-key and still have it support switching the f-mode off ?  I can't believe the Logitech engineers haven't got some sort of "back door" way of switching the mode.
Logi Rook
rigelt

Re: How to turn on f-lock when there is no f-lock key?

My setpoint driver offers the possibility to deactivate num lock. Did you check, whether this was accidentially turned on in your setpoint settings?

- go into setpoint

- open "My Keyboard"

- on the left choose the lowermost icon "Keyboard Inactive Keys"

- uncheck "disable num lock key"

Logi Nu
spoj

Hi rigelt,

Um.. unfortunately I don't think you read my post very closely.  I'm talking about the f-lock function, not num-lock. :smileysad:

I do know the settings page you refer to, and there are a list of the mod-keys you can disable, but f-lock is not listed.  All the other mod-keys are not disabled  (actually I may have disabled the scroll-lock after looking into this because that one is so rarely used for anything these days.  ( I do actually remember a couple of decades ago when it was a very useful key when you wanted to pause a long listing shooting up the screen !  :smileytongue: )

Thanks for the reply tho'

Logi Rook
rigelt

aaaahaha oh my! What the heck was I reading in the first place?? sorry about that spoj.

you might be interested in this posting though >> it states that the default f-lock function changed from setpoint 4.6 on. Maybe you're right with your automated update theory?