Logi Browser
mobilelawyer

Illuminated Keyboard

Great keyboard, by the way, and perfect for my needs, but...

It will not function if booting from a windows 7 installation disc. I have an ASUS M5A99X board. Keyboard works fine to access the bios, and after booting into windows, once the os is installed (but maybe not until after the first couple of boots from the hard disc).

The first problem is when the bios detects the presence of a bootable Windows DVD, and the boot process begins, and you are instructed to press any key to boot from the CD. One can press any or every key on the keyboard, but it does no good whatsoever. The keystrokes are not registered, and the bios boots from the hard drive, if it can find a hard disk that is bootable. I had to pull out an old PS/2 keyboard to be able to have the "press any key" work so I could boot from the optical drive.

Oddly, the keyboard seems to work fine with other bootable CD's, just not from a windows 7 installation disc.

It there a work- around other than pulling out the old keyboard?

The ASUS M5A99X has only one PS/2 connector, which can be used for either a keyboard or a mouse. I currently use it for my Logitech corded mouse which is USB, but has never worked in a USB port for me-- I had to use the usb to ps/2 adapter that came with it to plug it into this machine, and the computer I had before it.

I have seen add on adapters which add two ps/2 connectors to a motherboard.

Seems like a lot of time and trouble to invest in an isolated problem, but in a pinch, if you need to boot from a windows installation cd, you generally are in a mood to move along

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Meltech

Re: Illuminated Keyboard

Hello mobilelawyer,

I would suggest checking in you BIOS to ensure "USB legacy devices" is enable as well as Power on USB devices (note this might be different from different bios.

Kind Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Browser
mobilelawyer

I could not find a setting in the bios for either option you mentioned, and the issue came up again this weekend when I used a boot disc to try out the Windows 8 preview.

The keyboard worked fine in the bios and once booted into the OS, but when I tried to boot from an ISO bootdisc, the keyboard  was not recognized. I had to plug in an old Dell PS/2 keyboard, and it worked on the "press any key".

MichaelKenward
Topics: 16
Solutions: 228

If you boot from a "bootdisc" your may be putting that disk's drivers and stuff in the way of your PC's usual boot sequence, meaning that it cannot see whatever it needs to get the keyboard going.

If this is at the operating system stage, then your bootdisc probably needs to load some drivers for the keyboard.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

CarterW

This can be a common problem with certain motherboards and keyboards that use more power, such as ones with backlighting or USB hubs, I would suggest contacting ASUS to see if they have knowledge of the settings Meltech suggested, or possible BIOS updates that may have fixed the issue.

Regards

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
MichaelKenward

I doubt if that board has this sort of problem.

My hardware is: Asus M5A88TD-M EVO. Not wildly different in their specs.

Hang on, which illuminated keyboard are we talking about? Mine is a K800. Maybe mobilelawyer has a wired illuminated keyboard. Maybe that does need more power.

Always helps to have full information.

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

CarterW

[ Edited ]

I assumed he had the wired Illuminated Keyboard, if it was wireless then the type of keyboard would be irrelevant, however the wired one does draw more power from the USB port than a non backlit keyboard.

MichaelKenward

I think you are right. Probably wired. But having to guess is not the best approach.

In general, if a question arises here about an illuminated keyboard and the user does not say which type, it is a wired one. But I use a K800 wireless illuminate – one of the best keyboard's that Logitech has made thanks to its "permanent" letters that don't wear off within months and despite a broken enter key – and usually think that this is a possibility.

Logi Browser
mobilelawyer

Sorry, I just read the last posts in the thread. My keyboard was the wired illuminated keyboard. I should have stated that.

Logi Browser
mobilelawyer

I have still not found a solution to the problem. I simply do not see any bios setting on the board that could changed to accomodate the illuminated keyboard. And it does appear to be recognized and listed as a keyboard by the bios -- it just does not function- until I boot into Windows, and the lights on the keyboard come on, and I am good to go.

I am almost ready to swtich to the K800, but it might not work either. I gather yours does with your ASUS AMD motherboard.