Logi Nu
Zerker

Intermittently Stuck Ctrl Key?

[ Edited ]
Hey guys, this problem has been bugging me for a while, so I though I'd check if anyone has any input here. It was originally a concern on my older desktop (it's not listed anymore, but it's the one that comes with the MX 1000 Laser mouse). Basically what happens is that after a while of using my computer, I would find myself multi-selecting inexplicably (or activating who knows what hotkeys when I tried to type). Basically, my left ctrl+key was being registered, but I hadn't hit the key in quite a while. If I press the key manually an release it, everything goes back to normal... until it happens again sometime later. This can cause some seriously annoying effects, as you can image. It's always the left control key, because clicking the right ctrl when it's "stuck" doesn't alleviate the problem.

So, after a while I decided I'd just get a new keyboard/mouse set... there were some nice new ones out lately. Picked up an MX 3200.. and it does the same thing! So, it's almost certainly not a hardware issue, which leaves software. Any clue what the heck could cause this behaviour? Any suggestions greatly welcome!

Message Edited by Zerker on 01-20-200710:17 AM

Logi Legend
rlowens

Re: Intermittently Stuck Ctrl Key?

Do you have any buttons in SetPoint programmed to send a Keystroke that uses Crtl? SetPoint has a known problem with stuck modifier keys when using the Keystroke function.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Nu
Zerker

Well, I do... but only in Firefox (using uberOptions profile feature). I have buttons bound to Ctrl + W and Ctrl + Tab. This seems to happen outside of firefox, though, and I don't have any modifiers bound that way there.
Logi Legend
rlowens

The surest way to get the stuck keys in my experience is with an application-specific button setting.

Consider:
1. In Firefox with 2 tabs open, pressing button A sends Ctrl_down (pressing the Ctrl button), W_down, W_up (the current tab is closed), then sends Ctrl_up (releasing the Ctrl button).
2. Still in Firefox with 1 tab left, pressing button A sends Ctrl_down, W_down, W_up (the last tab is closed and Firefox closes, moving Windows' focus to some other app), SetPoint never sends the Ctrl_up.
3. Ctrl_up is stuck!

I think that kind of thing is what I think is happening. I've personally reported the problem to the head of the mouse dept. at Logitech, but I don't know how long it will be before they fix it. My current suggestion is to not use any keystrokes with Ctrl, Shift, or Alt.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Nu
Zerker

Thanks, that might be it. I do tend to close firefox with my Ctrl+W-bound key, and I just reproduced the problem doing so. The keys are far too useful for browsing to leave unbound, but I'll keep an eye on the situation now that I have an idea what's going on (and avoid closing Firefox with Ctrl + W). Come to think of it, the cases I noticed outside of Firefox might have just been the first noticeable situation I'd be pressing something on the keyboard that would clue me into the fact I'm pressing control.
Logi Nu
Taelrak

I also have this problem (except for me, it's the ALT key).

I only have the VX Revolution and SetPoint 3.30.165, running WinXp Home.

I did not bind any keys or keystroke assignments. I did set up a profile for firefox so that the mouse button would middle-click instead of document switch...but just for that one program.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Logi Legend
rlowens

What exact "document switch" function is the middle button set to in the normal profile? It might be doesing something like Alt+Tab, and the Alt is getting stuck because of that. Post your exact settings and I'll see if I can tell.

Logi Nu
Taelrak

It's the "document flip" feature included with the VX...it brings up a menu on the screen and you can scroll between open programs with the wheel. I didn't bind it to ALT-Tab specifically myself though. Is there a specific settings file I can copy that'll show this in more detail? Otherwise, it just says 'document flip' on the settings menu, which is the default.
Logi Nu
Hoffi

Hello rlowens, I search any days until I find your posting in "Setpoint 3.10 locks ctrl key when issuing a keystroke command" and this posting. Until this time I deinstalled uberoptions. In ebay I searched for a microsoft mouse, cause I use a microsoft office keyboard and read, that setpoint and intellitype not compatibel. Now I use AutoHotKey and the keys F13-F15 for keystroke and I'm happy. What will i say? - Tell about this bug (SetPoint doesn't send the Ctrl Up keystroke) on your homepage and in the ReadMe-File!!! Sending keystroke is the most universal tool and a lot of people will not find this discussion, espacially german speaking peopole as me :-). Greatings and thanks for uberoptions, it is great (now!). Hoffi
Logi Browser
ziipppp

Yes I have this problem! And I didn't used to before Setpoint updated. I also have a bunch of other weird issues. eg document flip, when you roll the thumb button it super fast scrolls and won't stop - making it useless. Fortunately you can roll the wheel to choose between the documents. Also in firefox I move between tabs with CTL+Tab and CTL+Shift+Tab. But now the CTL+Tab only works, the shifted version just scrolls between the last two opened tabs. Its all quite maddening as the prior version seemed to work well, my only issue was with the right shift of the wheel which was a mechanical issue. I'll look into this app, but I'm worried about patching a lousy driver with a third party app. Thanks for the work on this