Logi Browser
wkearney99
Accepted Solution

K400 keyboard with built-in bluetooth?

I have a PC that already has Bluetooth onboard. Can I use the K400 with that instead of the Unifying dongle? I don't have enough spare USB ports available and do not want to add a hub. How do I get the K400 to enter a pairing mode so I can use it this way?
MichaelKenward
Topics: 16
Solutions: 202

Re: K400 keyboard with built-in Bluetooth?

No. The Unifying dongle isn't Bluetooth.

Hubs are not a good idea for the main devices like keyboards and mice. You need something that does not have to wait for Windows to load drivers.

While hubs are the easiest way to add ports, it might not be necessary. Many motherboards come with headers that can take more USB ports. You just have to buy, and fit, an outlet that goes to the back of the PC. Or a box that takes the ports to the front.

These cost a few dollars

There are other ways around it, but they depend on your PC.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint Control Centre version: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Browser
wkearney99

That answers it then. It's not a bluetooth device. It requires the specific Logitech unifying dongle and no others will work. I'll just have to try to rearrange devices to see if it can be made to work.
MichaelKenward

[ Edited ]

Afraid so.

If you go to Logitech - Keyboards you can check the right button to get it to show which keyboards use which receiver technology. There are Bluetooth keyboards. The K400 just doesn't happen to be one of them.

For some reason, Logitech likes to change its receiver technology every couple of years. I have a box full of old receivers. (Anyone here run a mouse museum?) The idea of sticking with an industry standard like BT does not seem to have occurred to them.

What do you use for a mouse? If it is already Unifying, then you can use one receiver for that and the keyboard. If you have a mouse plugged into the USB using some other technology – wired or wireless – then you can buy a unifying mouse and run them both off the one receiver.

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Browser
wkearney99

I generally steer away from wireless connections, unless they use open, industry standards. I have a Dinovo on another PC and that uses bluetooth perfectly well. Stands to reason that if I already had a unifying interface I wouldn't have asked the question, right? But I hear ya regarding collections of dead interfaces. The point of using the K400 is the integration of the touch pad and the keyboard. Since I already have it, it was cheap, and it works reasonably well I'll just keep it. But I certainly won't encourage anyone else to get one.
Logi Nu
chaotix

i disagree, i would totally recommend the k400...  it has the best build in trackpad of ANY wireless keyboard i have ever seen, and it's durability and design make it top notch.  this is the best keyboard for me, and i most definately recommend it!  that said, it does seem like it would be common sense to use a standard interface like bluetooth.

MichaelKenward

chaotix wrote:

it does seem like it would be common sense to use a standard interface like bluetooth.

Definitely with you there. So obvious that you wonder why people like Logitech do their own thing.

There must be a reason for it, beyond commercial gain. Pity they don't tell us.

Logi Browser
wkearney99

If I had to venture a guess, the licensing fees for Bluetooth were high enough that it was more cost effective to abandon it and use their own mess instead.  I'm guessing it's going to be a real trainwreck when (not if) logitech stops making drivers for their proprietary connection, where as a genuine BT device would keep working.

MichaelKenward

wkearney99 wrote:

If I had to venture a guess, the licensing fees for Bluetooth were high enough that it was more cost effective to abandon it 

Highly unlikely. When every mobile phone comes with Bluetooth, and when "dongles" cost a few £$€, it is probably cheaper to go with the standard than to develop your own.

The whole point of setting a standard is that the developer is obliged to offer licences at reasonable rates. (The definition of "reasonable" is behind many of the law suits flying around the IT industry.)

As to abandoning Bluetooth, that too is most unlikely. Why? Because Logitech "adopted" Bluetooth long after it developed its own proprietary wireless technology. If anything Logitech shows more, not less, interest in Bluetooth.

Logi Browser
wkearney99

You clearly don't understand licensing fees.  When you know how to do it and the market doesn't seem to care, then there's absolutely cost-savings to be found in not paying licenses.  As for the dongles being cheap, what makes you think the off-brand gizmos are properly paying licenses?  Why do you think there's such continuing nonsense in how the support software licenses are protected?  

Step outside your limited view bubble and you'll understand why it's such a mess.  And why it's sad Logitech is choosing not to use standarized tech.