Logi Browser
OrionsToy

Mouse problems with MX5000 desktop

I have a strange problem ... my mouse wanders occasionally. It's very annoying but no matter what setpoint version I use it continues to do so. What I mean by this is .. I move the mouse to the left and stop ... sometimes it continues to move left or left and up or left and down .. I used left as an example .. it does this in any direction. This doesn't happen all the time .. just sometimes. I have to move the mouse in rapid movements to regain control. Right now I'm using setpoint 3.30. I have tried several mouse pads and no pad at all ... all with the same problems so its not the surface causing the problem.

Any ideas???

Oh and one suggestion ... It was kind of annoying that the MX5000 desktop does not allow you to come out of standby, sleep or turn your computer on (on keypress.. bios feature) since it uses only USB and even if it is set to allow USB devices to bring the computer out of standby .. it still doesn't function because the USB ports are shut off in sleep or power off mode. This may be a motherboard issue or just a normal USB issue.. don't know ... never had a keyboard/mouse that has a receiver that only uses USB. All my other Logitech keyboards/mouse combos had a receiver that at least one plugged into PS2.. those always allowed me to wake the computer from sleep without having to press my power button. So if this is a software problem and not related to the USB ports or Motherboard... I would suggest looking into fixing this issue ... I'm not looking to replace my keyboard/mouse combo .... yet ... its not that big of a deal to hit the power button on the tower ... just an annoyance that I can't use the mouse or keyboard anymore to do this function
RCE
Logi Browser
RCE

Re: Mouse problems with MX5000 desktop

Hello OrionsToy,

As far as mouse drifting, I have seen the following suggested: Try on a white surface, avoid metal surfaces, and see if this happens without Setpoint. You can just try shutting down the Setpoint exe.

You are right with USB devices being to dependent on many variables; BIOS, motherboard, and so on. Give this a try to stop the USB from powering off.
(For Ease of search remove all other USB devices)

Go to Device Manager
Go to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
Right click "USB root hub" and click properties
Select "Power" tab (continue until you find one that lists USB hub and is drawing power)

Once you find the right one go to "Power Management" tab and remove the check box from "Allow the computer to. . ."
Click OK and see if this now allows you to wake your sleeping computer.

Let us know if this works. I never use sleep or hibernate modes. Either Power on, or Power off.

Good Luck,
-RCE
Logi Browser
OrionsToy

My mouse issue may or may not be solved... because of the intermittency, I can't be too sure. I forgot to mention not only did I try several mouse pads but also a blank piece of printer paper (white) and still had drifting. While working on clients computer I saw they were throwing out table place mats. The front had a shiny type surface but the underside had an off white matte finish with a very tight diamond type upraised pattern. Since I have been using it so far ... no drift ... I'm hopeful but not completely satisfied the problem is fixed because one of the other mouse pads was cloth and you figure the mouse would pick up the weave of the cloth and not drift but it still drifted on that mouse pad.

As for my USB problem ... I guess I'm screwed on that one. I guess I should have given more detail as to the steps I took to troubleshoot this problem so I went through them again so maybe someone will see something I overlooked. I find that sometimes I go too deep into a problem and overlook the obvious. So here is what I did:

I found the hub under Controllers/Generic USB Hub .. of course there is no power management in the properties page for the controller so I did some more looking around. The hub listed Bluetooth wireless hub, Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard and HID-compliant Bluetooth Mouse. My next step was to look at the Bluetooth Hub... In device manager there is an entry for Bluetooth Devices .. under that it lists Bluetooth Enumerator and Bluetooth wireless hub. Checked properties on both .. no power management... next I went to keyboards and found under that HID Keyboard Device and Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard .. checked settings ... Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard had Power Management. Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby was already checked... Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power was unchecked and grayed out. Next I went to the mouse entry and found HID-compliant Bluetooth mouse and Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse. Again checked properties... Only the HID-compliant Bluetooth Mouse had power management and of course .. same as the keyboard ... allow to bring out of standby checked ... turn off to save power unchecked and grayed.

After your post I decided to check my  Basic Input Output System .. relevant settings were set to this:
APCI Suspend Type [S3(STR)] (Suspend To Ram)
PME Event Wake Up (enabled) (wake on lan.. which sometimes I do use)
S3 Resume by USB Device (enabled)
Power on by mouse (Double Click)
Power on by keyboard (Any Key)
USB Memory type (Shadowed)
Legacy USB Keyboard/Storage (enabled)
Legacy (DOS) USB mouse (enabled)
Legacy USB Storage detect (enabled)

The only two I questioned are the USB Memory Type .. I remember in the old days .. you never wanted to shadow video ram so I chose (base memory (640K) and the system got really angry with me and wouldn't even finish posting... had to reset the BIOS to get the computer not to lock .. couldn't even get into BIOS to reset the change because as soon as it got to the menu screen it froze... So shadowed is the only setting I can use for that.

The other I questioned is S3/STR (suspend to ram) vs. S1/POS (Power On Suspend). I set it to S1 and rebooted Windows got to the black screen right before it says something like Windows is starting (old login setup not the fancy XP login screen) and it laughed at me and locked solid. Tried a second normal reboot and Windows laughed even harder and gave the same results. Tried Last Known Good Config.... Windows was ROFL now and still locked up. Booted in safemode then rebooted normally and finally success ... I laughed back at Windows defiantly  :smileytongue: Of course the keyboard and mouse do allow you to come out of suspend but also .. as it says .. Power "ON" Suspend. It may save a bit of power but the computer doesn't actually shutdown completely (CPU and PS fans still run. Not really what I was looking for.

It isn't really a big issue with me because I'm a nice Uncle and run a voice chat server for my Nephew. He's a 15 year old hooked on World of Warcraft and is constantly using the server. Plus there are a few other kids I met through WoW (yes I was a WoW geek for a while too) who use the server also... most in different time zones so the server is active most of the day and night and because of this .. lately ... I run my computer 24/7 anyway. It was just a nagging issue that I thought I would throw in but it looks to me like my system is just not capable of keeping the USB ports open during suspend to ram :smileysad:

I appreciate the time you took to reply... I'm sorry I wasn't more detailed in my troubleshooting and saved you the effort :smileysad:

Orion

and yes the computer is my toy .. thus the name OrionsToy because Orion is just too popular and is never available as a user name :smileymad: Just didn't want anyone with a dirty mind to misinterpret the nick :smileywink:

PS. In the time I spent re-troubleshooting and making this reply … I started to get some small drifts but not as major as before. I will try shutting down SetPoint to see if that helps... but .. I spent enough time on this post :smileyhappy: so I think I will have to give you the results in another reply :smileywink:

Logi Browser
OrionsToy

Just an update... Tried the mouse without SetPoint software ... still drifts .. guess my 1 year old $160.00 keyboard/mouse combo has to be replaced .. So glad I spent the extra cash for this desktop setup :smileysad: . I always liked Logitech until I invested in this setup. At least they solved the repeated key problem I was having when I first got the product. Guess their lasers are only good for a year though... Should have stuck to optical instead. I have had an optical Logitech for over 5 years and ... unfortunately I gave it away ... but ... it's still working for the person I gave it to :smileymad: .. I even thought that maybe .. just maybe it was a problem with the lens getting dirty .. I'm a smoker ... so I cleaned it and still ... no luck. Unless anyone has any suggestions ... I guess I will just give up on this desktop setup and buy a Medion (no name .. very cheap ... but ... I have one hooked to this machine and have had the product for over 4 years and it still works fine) I needed to keep this no name mouse connected because of the good old 160 dollar keyboard / mouse sometimes doesn't function when you boot your computer .. and you need that mouse to go into device manager to delete the other mouse and keyboard .. or even if you unplug and re-plug in the sensor ... no matter what you do .. if you don't delete the entries in device manager .. the keyboard and mouse will not function. Another questionable problem with the Bluetooth setup .. .. Maybe I should un-install it, reinstall it and use the Windows Bluetooth instead of using the recommended Broadcom version. Maybe this is a Bluetooth problem not a hardware problem... I don't know but I'm getting a bit frustrated ... soon I will just through the mouse against the wall ... who knows ... that may solve the problem .. if not .. at least it would probably work as well as it does now :smileymad:.

I would also like to thank Logitech for not even bothering to post anything here ... makes me feel even better buying another manufacturers product.
RCE
Logi Browser
RCE

All out of suggestions, but one. Before damaging your wall; start the RMA process. My problem is mostly with the keyboard, so I can't replicate your issues. I have seen other people with a similar complaint as yours, so there must be something to it. All the issues I had with the mouse went away when I got rid of Setpoint, except the random hiccups. (which normally shouldn't be acceptable either) I can't remember the issues with 3.15, but with 3.30 I see randomly left click will cause a wheel/scroll click. With the FPS game I play this will get me killed, so not acceptable. Occasionally, even without Setpoint the mouse will go into spasms and throw out a couple left clicks.

I had been using the MS Bluetooth stack, but still had problems. I am now using the Toshiba stack, still with problems. So, I am guessing the problem is with the hardware. My issue is the keyboard disconnects randomly and repeats 50+ times the last key typed. Soon, I will be re-imaging my PC, which should give me a completely clean testbed to play with. If at that point I still have issues it will be time to try my hand at the old RMA process.

The amusing part is I have my Logitech BJ58 optical wired mouse on the floor next to me for when I need to do some "adjustments". I think I will be avoiding any other Bluetooth devices for PC until 5+ years when hopefully it will be stable. All I wanted was a cordless setup that was rechargeable. I have been looking at the ones Targus makes for future reference, and will do better research without the rush I needed for this one. I had relied on previous experience with Logitech when making the decision, and also feel burned. I truly hope the reason is they don't have an answer, not that they have found the error and decided to not inform us.
Good luck,
-RCE
Logi Browser
OrionsToy

[ Edited ]
Yeah .. i was having problems with my keyboard for a while but that seemed to clear up ... if i didn't type for a while ... it would repeat the first key i pressed 2 or 3 times but if I was continually typing .. it never gave me problems ..

every once and a while I would press a key and it would repeat forever .. i would usually have to hit the backspace key several times to get it to stop .. and even then sometimes it wouldn't .. LOL .. that was annoying but that hasn't happened to me in quite some time

Not sure I'm within warranty for RMA ... not sure if I can find my original receipt :smileysad: .. Its around somewhere ... but .. i don't know ... throwing it against the wall might just give me the satisfaction I need .. or at least relieve a bit of my frustrations .... well .. maybe I'll throw it on the kitchen floor .. it's concrete with linoleum tiles .. should be able to take the abuse  LOL.. but maybe you are right .. maybe I should give Logitech a chance to redeem themselves first .. as of right now ...I just got done rebooting and my mouse doesn't work .grrrr ... like i say ... I have my Medion attached .. just for this reason.

I was like you .. I wanted a rechargable mouse .. the Medion is but its only a 5 button ... and I kind of got spoiled by the 10 button .. using that uberOptions tool I spotted in another thread on this board. It allows me to map a lot of stuff to my mouse. I just wish this wasn't Bluetooth .. I don't have anything other than the keyboard and mouse to connect to it ... i don't have a cell phone that uses Bluetooth or any audio devices so I have most of it disabled ... I also have a problem with MS Outlook 2007 shutting down .. and even though I don't have the sync function installed I'll bet the keyboard is still hooking to Outlook and keeping it from closing ... but I haven't quite did enough troubleshooting to find out yet ... its a known problem with Outlook for several of their versions .. there are several programs written to kill the task so you don't have to go into task manager and kill it manually .. that shows you how much of a problem that is .. of course .. MS hasn't fixed it through their 2000-2007 versions .. so its a pretty good assumption that they aren't going to do anything about it ... I'm working on my own AutoIt script to kill the program instead of having to install another program that runs in the tray to do it... but first .. I have to get my mouse to work again ... such a hassle ... this is supposed to be the top of the line for Logitech keyboards but so far its been the worst keyboard/mouse combo I have had ... If it functioned properly .. I would love it .. I do like and use most of the features and would hate to lose them .. but ..  I have to way the frustration to the benefits and see if it is really worth loosing my mind over.

Maybe I will try downgrading to the 3.10 version .. in another thread people were having a lot of problems with the security windows popping up when people would use the ctrl+shift+<anything> combo ... Logitech says they are going to have an update to the 3.30 version that addresses that issue in a couple of weeks .. who knows ... but a lot of people said that downgrading to the 3.10 version solved a lot of their problems .. none of them were using the MX5000 Bluetooth Desktop though.

Message Edited by OrionsToy on 04-14-200710:32 PM