Logi Nu
JJim

Wireless keyboard screen shot

I'm disappointed that the wireless keyboard can't do a simple screen shot without copy-save-create file-name-save- search-copy and paste. What a waste!

Before I trash this wireless keyboard which is otherwise convenient to use, does anyone know a simple way to do screen shots and paste thim right to the body of an email? This is something I do a lot in my remodeling business.

MichaelKenward
Topics: 16
Solutions: 246

Re: Wireless keyboard screen shot

Not sure that I understand this one. Are you complaining that the keyboard does not have a "Print Screen" button?

If so, which keyboard?

Keyboards aren't design to handle files. All that  "Print Screen" (or "Alt+Print Screen", which I find much more useful) can do is to put an image of the screen on the Windows clipboard. What happens then is down to the other software on your PC. Even the operating system makes a difference.

There are any number of ways to achieve what you want. All of them will involve software of some sort.

My K800 keyboard happily copies screen shots in Windows 7 and pastes them into Outlook email.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
JJim

On every keyboard I've had a screen shot could be taken by using control+insert+print screen. That would instantly capture what ever was on the screen and then I could go to the email or word doc I had open and just paste it in.

The wireless keyboard (320) I got for Christmas has a key that says both Home and print screen. But none of the functions people have suggested work for me. Maybe it is a model that doesn't have the capacity for thking a shot.

As I said, I use screen shots a lot in talking with customers about remodel projects and if there is no way to make this a simple step, I may just have to give up the wireless idea that I thought was poretty cool.  The idea of needing another program to save it somewhere and then retrieve it is awkward for me. -- Thanks for you help.

MichaelKenward

Sorry, it still isn't clear.

Is there a print screen button on the keyboard?

Don't forget, some of these "extra" keys also require you to press a "FN" key at the same time. You can usually tell this when the function is printed in a different colour. On some of my keyboards it is an orange colour and is on the "Home" key.

And what is a "320". Do you mean MK320?

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
JJim

I made a typo. The keyboard is a K360. I have a function button and have tried using it along with Alt+print scree. But, it doesn't seem ablet to send the command to the computer to save the screen shot. When I go to paste there is nothing. I've heard hot keys can be programmed to handle such a task, but that it's hard.

Is this inability to copy the screen a natural trait of wireless, maybe?

MichaelKenward

JJim wrote:

Is this inability to copy the screen a natural trait of wireless, maybe?

No. You just haven't worked out how to do it yet.

I have no idea what "control+insert+print screen" is supposed to do. But the feature you want – the ability to grab a screen and put it on your clipboard – certainly works in my K360.

FN+Print Scr captures the screen.

(You will find FN between the Alt Gr and Ctrl keys to the right of the spacebar.

Alt+FN+Print Scr captures the topmost Window.

Then it is simply a case of pasting the image to wherever you want it.

For example, I just used the same keyboard to paste into Firefox.

Like I said, the keyboard's job is to provide the keystrokes needed to grab the images. (See above.) What happens next is down to how the software you use responds to the standard Windows keystrokes for pasting stuff.

I use various bits of software to make it easier to work with clipped images. For example, I use Clipmate to act as a repository of captured clips. It will hold them for as long as I like. So I can build up a database of clipped images.

I also use a file manager, Directory Opus, that will allow me to past (Ctrl + V) clipboard images and text into a folder

Logi Nu
JJim

Michael,

I've finally got it! Thank you for an explanation that was clear and doable. Somewhere I was missing a step or not hitting both keys at once. You're a winner in my book. Thank you for putting up with my several messages of frustration.

-Jim

MichaelKenward

Glad it worked finally.

Logitech does not help by forcing us you use strange keystrokes.

FN + Print Scrn is bad enough, but  Alt+FN + Print Scrn may be beyond some fingers.

It becomes even more silly when you compare keyboards.

You have to use the FN key on the K360, but not on the K800.

It would be nice if you could tweak the keyboard to make the F keys do what you want, no luck.

One thing I did not mention before is another bit of software that I use to automate things that I do often. Macro Express could simplify the process. But that is overkill for your task.

Logi Nu
TheSpatialist

Dear MK, a.k.a. "Mr. Guru II"

I ran across this string while looking for a bug fix and found it curious.  Your advice is correct, however, I would like to insert one caveat.  

I suspect that with the word choices and the spelling of a few words such as Color (Colour) and Center (Centre) that you are on the UK side of the pond.  Answering a question from the U.S. may complicate things slightly as there may be some minor differences in the functionality of the Logitech keyboards.

Refering to the original question about the "Print Screen" button function not working when the user attempted to paste a capture into email. Did he mention which email service he was using?  The "Print Screen" nor the "Alt +FN + Print Screen" combination work with paste into OUTLOOK email.

Using the "Alt +Ctrl + Print Screen" and then Paste does work with OUTLOOK. (U.S. anyway)

Your suggestions were successful in other image editing software such as Irfanview or Snagit, and even WORD.  So, I think his issue was not entirely with the keyboard, but with the email software that he was using.  If indeed it was OUTLOOK.

Thank you for your other software suggestions such as Clipmate and Directory Opus.  Big help indeed.

The Spatialist

Houston

MichaelKenward

Did you read JJim's response?

I've finally got it! Thank you for an explanation that was clear and doable. Somewhere I was missing a step or not hitting both keys at once. You're a winner in my book. Thank you for putting up with my several messages of frustration. -Jim

Sort of suggests that Outlook had  nothing to do with it.

In any case, whatever you are doing, the task is to get an image on to the clipboard. Once it is there, pasting is usually application independent.