Logi Nu
linkydo

new K800 wireless illuminated keyboard doesn't work

Hello. I just received the K800 wireless keyboard and it is not working.

Can anyone tell me how long is takes to charge the batteries for initial use? I've been charging it for over two hours (with the keyboard on "off") and the little red battery light blinks, but the keyboard does not light up and when I switch it to "on" it still will not work.

Does this sound like a battery prolem or another problem of some sort? Thank you.

MichaelKenward
Topics: 16
Solutions: 206

Re: new K800 wireless illuminated keyboard doesn't work

A single red light tells me that it is not charging.

If the K800 is charging, the battery indicator puts on a light show. The three lights run up the scale in a sequence. If you don't see that, then check that the USB cable you are using, and the port you have plugged it into, is good.

If that looks OK, then maybe the batteries aren't properly connected. It is a long time since I bought my K800, so I cannot remember if there is a protecting tab that you have to remove to get the batteries to connect.

If doubt if you would invalidate the warranty if you unscrewed the battery compartment and checked that the batteries have not been dislodged in transit.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint Control Centre version: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

TyK
Logi Browser
TyK

Saw the date of your post.  Maybe that's important.

Bought a K800 from BestBuy two weeks ago.  Straight out of the box, with the included batteries in place, the red light battery indicator was blinking.  I could use the keyboard when plugged into the micro USB (keys lit up and everything), but even after charging overnight, I still got the blinking red light.  No green lights, blinking or otherwise.

As soon as I unplug the micro USB, not power at all.  Keyboard is dead.

Took that keyboard back to BestBuy and their techs looked it over.  Plugged it into other USB's there, etc.  Concluded it must be a faulty charger.  Didn't have another in stock, so ordered a new one to be shipped to me.

Just got it today.  Same problem, even after 8 hous of charging with the keyboard switched off.

Maybe there's been a bad batch lately.

MichaelKenward

Do you have an independent USB charger? One that plugs into the mains rather than a PC?

These are generally quicker and more capable than a USB port. I have a neat little mains device that came with my Nexus 7. Does a better job than the USB port.

I ask because I wonder if this is a "first charge" issue. Rechargeable batteries seem to take time to settle in.

If this is a dud batch, I'd suspect the batteries. Maybe something nasty happened to them in transit.

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

TyK
Logi Browser
TyK

MichaelKenward,

Thanks for the quick reply to my post.

Okay, so you've outted me.  I'm functionally computer illiterate. 

Not sure what "the mains" means. I believe Logitech sells an AC charger, too, but I don't want to go in for more money if it won't work.

I've plugged it into the front and rear USB ports of two different computers now.  Left it turned off and charging over the weekend.  Still zero charge (went dead the instant I pulled the mini USB from the back.  So, about 40 hours charging and zip.

I got new NiMH batteries from Best Buy over the weekend and just installed them a couple hours ago, so we'll see.  But after two hours charging, I still only get the flashing red light.  No green LED's even flicker.

And, fwiw, The keyboard lights strong and bright while the mini USB is plugged in, so some power is coming through.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.  Whether the new batteries fix the problem or not, I'll come to post just to update the process after the new batteries charge overnight.

BTW, I have the Logitech wired illuminated keyboard at home and love it.  I should probably have just stuck with wired.

MichaelKenward

Sorry, I should use English English.

Mains is the electricity that comes out of the wall. 120 volts in North America, which means slower charging than our 240 volts.

USB chargers can cost as little as $10, probably less, rather than the sort of price that Logitech might ask for.

I wasn't really suggesting that you buy one. Modern mobile phones use the same micro-USB charging stuff as the Logitech keyboard. My laptop's power supply also has a USB output. Indeed, so does my car, but I am not suggesting that you charge the keyboard there.

If you put new batteries into the keyboard, you could have charged them beforehand in a battery charger, if you have one.

It sounds to me like you have another dud. As the saying goes "stuff happens".

I do hope that no one will complain about you changing the batteries. It may be against the warranty rules.

TyK
Logi Browser
TyK

MichaelKenward,

Thanks again.  You're keeping me sane. 

And I'm sorry I only speak "English English."  Or whatever English it is we speak here in the U.S.  But I'm learning.  For instance, I just learned "main."

I think I read something about the warranty problem with opening the battery compartment, but if the new batteries don't work (five hours and charging - still only flashing red LED) and my cell AC charger (also a micro USB, thanks for the advice) fails, I will likely just continue using it as a "wired" keyboard. 

Wish they could've made the micro USB a data cable, too, so I wouldn't have to use two USB ports (charger/power and wireless transmitter), but it's not a horrible set-up.

Unfortunately, I do need an illuminated keyboard.  I work at a video game production company in Seattle as a writer and share my room with a quartet of artists who like the lights low.  Apparently it's best for using their art tools.

Anyway, thanks yet again.

MichaelKenward

I am puzzled by references to the "flashing red LED".

I don't see this on my K800. Only the three green lights above the "speaker mute" button.

Where is this light?

TyK
Logi Browser
TyK

The lowest of the three LED's, which I guess is supposed to be green, just flashes red at an interval of about once a second.  Here is an image taken from the net and altered in MSPaint to show the light.

BLINKING RED.png

BTW, the artists here give me a hard time whenever they see me open MS Paint.

MichaelKenward

OK. That is something I have never seen. It is the bottom of the three "green" lights and is a true sign that there is no power in there. I suspect that mine would show the same were it completely drained.

If the thing is charging, the three lights put on a show of dancing up the keyboard.

Give up. The keyboard is dead. You have tried beyond the call of duty to fix it.

If you want to bring in Logitech, then put in an support request and get them to replace it directly. Or have one final attempt with the retailer.

One final possibility, if we haven't tried it already, do you have a different USB cable you could try? You said that it would be nice to have a data cable so that the keyboard will worked "wired". I don't think that is possible but there is some debate around the nature of Logitech's USB cables. It isn't clear if they can handle data in devices that can connect by USB. Trying a different cable would finally nail it and give something else to report to whoever you approach next.

Rest assured that it is a great keyboard when it works.