Logi Nu
TheMagistrate

s510 issues on Windows 7

I was using my s510 keyboard and mouse combo for over a year on my Windows 7 x64 machine until Thursday.  Some time on that day, Windows decided to not recognize either the keyboard or the mouse.

Here's what I've tried when troubleshooting:

1. Connecting receiver to a different USB port
  2. Replacing all batteries
  3. Update SetPoint software to latest version (mouse and keyboard tabs don't show up at all)
  4. Uninstall mouse, keyboard and IR devices in Windows Device Manager
  5. Restarted in Safe Mode
  6. Uninstalled Windows Updates that happened around the time the problem started.
  7. Keyboard trick to disable encryption.
  8. Scan for viruses
The weird thing is, I can boot into my system's BIOS OS or a Linux Live CD and the keyboard and mouse work.  I can connect the receiver to a different computer and they work.  It's only in Windows that neither device is recognized.
Are there drivers I should be using for the keyboard, mouse or receiver?  Are there circumstances where this behaviour is known to happen (application install, virus, rootkit, etc...)
Any help will be appreciated.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
CarterW

Re: s510 issues on Windows 7

Hello TheMagistrate,

All 3 devices (keyboard, mouse and receiver) use drivers that come installed with Windows (they are located in C:\Windows\inf), it sounds to me like it is a driver issue if they are working in BIOS and on another computer. The USB receiver often appears as 'USB Composite Device' in device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. You can unplug and plug the receiver back in with the list open to identify exactly what it is.

I would try updating drivers for all 3 in the DM, as well as uninstalling all 3 and then restarting the PC. Ultimately it could be that the drivers are damaged or currupt, to repair them you can do a Windows Startup Repair, a Windows Restore to a point when they were working, or copy them from another Win 7 x64 machine.

Regards

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
TheMagistrate

Interesting developments:

I tried reverting to a previous Restore Point using the Startup Repair system.  That didn't work.  In the end, to get the keyboard and mouse working again, I had to reinstall Windows.  Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain.

Then over the weekend, I was finally getting around to running Windows Update and upgrading to Windows 7 SP1.  As soon as the SP1 update finished, the S510 keyboard and mouse stopped working.  I then reverted to the Restore Point created before the SP1 install and they started working again.

I'm thinking that something about Win7 SP1 is what caused the S510 to fail.  Right now, the system is still running without SP1, so the keyboard and mouse still work.  If I update again, I would imagine they would stop working again.

Any ideas about what changed in SP1 that may have caused the S510 to fail?

Logi Nu
Bullpup597

The exact same thing happened to me. Up until I installed the Windows SP1, my logitech wireless keyboard/mouse worked flawlessly. I've restored to a point before that install, but cannot seem to get the machine to recognize the keyboard/mouse. Reinstalling the OS seems a bit overkill to solve this, but I'm hoping someone has a resolution for this.

bphillips

Hi Bullpup597,

There was a recent update to Windows 7 SP1 that is causing problems with USB drivers, under certain conditions. Devices that use native Windows drivers are all being effected, not solely Logitech. 

Please take a look at the link below for further information/possible solution, as well, I would suggest contacting Microsoft themselves as they would have better insight into the problem!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529073

Best Regards, 

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate

If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
Bullpup597

This KB update for my 64bit system had NO effect whatsoever. I'm still NOT able to use my USB keyboard and mouse at all. I've tried everything I can think of, system restores, KB updates, etc. Nothing will get this Logitech mouse/keyboard working again. Grrr...

Cintech

Hello Bullpup597,

Does this keyboard and mouse work on a different system?

Regards,

Logi Nu
TheMagistrate

I was able to install SP1 successfully tonight and the keyboard and mouse continued working.  I'm not sure what changed over what I was trying before, but everything seemed to work out.  I do not have the hotfix for the KB article linked in an earlier reply.

Cintech

Hello TheMagistrate,

Happy to hear they are working for you! Thank you for posting your update !

Regards,

Logi Nu
samson83

Well im having the same exact issue since the 64x Windows 7 update. Ever since then my S510 mouse and keyboard are paperweights. I've tried everything suggested and nothing works. This is not user end, its either Windows that needs to fix it or Motioninjoy. Someone step up.