My Computer Information/Specifications:

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Athlon II Multi-Core Processor
Memory >2tb
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H Motherboard
Radeon HD 4670 Video Card
ATI High Definition Audio Device Sound Card
I have a dual-monitor setup using UltraMon

I have used this controller for years now and have never had an issue, ever, until now. I also have a Logitech Precision Gamepad controller which still works perfectly (even with these issues with the Dual Action).

I am playing FF7 pc version and have been using the Precision controller but would love to use the joysticks of the Dual Action to be able to move - my left thumb is getting sore...

Basically my issue is I have installed the drivers, and the Logitech Gaming Software (which doesn't run now, I get the error: C:\Program Files\Logitech\Gaming Software\SWEMon.exe - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail). When I plug in the Dual Action controller I get no messages, but hear it connecting/disconnecting through Windows 7 sounds (the sound you get when you plug in/unplug a USB).

I have no ideas on how to fix this issue, but hopefully one of you does... I would be eternally grateful because this is the reason I stopped playing Skyrim also, I have no compatible controller anymore...

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Meltech

Re: Logitech Dual Action Wired USB Gamepad Controller not recognized by Windows 7

Hello jcscrogs,

When you plug in the Dual Action, does it show up under Devices and Printers? If not, try it on another PC and see if it is shown.

As for the error message: "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Gaming Software\SWEMon.exe - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the Logitech Gaming Software.

2. Install the following :

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64)
 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=BA9257CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E&dis...

Microsoft

Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867

3. Reinstall the Logitech gaming software 5.10 which you can download from here:

LGS 5.10 64 Bit

Kind Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Browser
jcscrogs

Re: Logitech Dual Action Wired USB Gamepad Controller not recognized by Windows 7

Wonderful, thank you for your response, I am not at home at the moment, but will let you know the results when I am able to apply them.

Logi Browser
jcscrogs

So I did everything you said in the order you described and the Logitech Profiler is now working 100%. But, the Logitech Dual Action controller still is not working (it reinstalled the drivers but the issue is the same as it was - I did get the windows error message along with the sounds) but now the Logitech Precision controller won't work as a controller for FF7 even though the profiler says it is working perfectly (the Precision is working for Skyrim but without the right joystick I can't turn to look around - which is why I need the Dual Action working)... FF7 and Skyrim still load/run good after these changes the only issue is the controller issue(s)...

Logi Browser
jcscrogs

Correction:

The 2008 update installed correctly but the 2010 update when I try to install asks me:

1. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ x64... to its original state.

2. Remove """... from this computer.

Then has a box at the bottom asking me if I want to send information about my setup experiences to Microsoft.

I click yes to send the info to Microsoft and update - no problems (the first time windows said it didn't install correctly so I reinstalled through the prompt this time it went ok).

Since my last post I uninstalled everything (including FF7 after backing it up to my external HD) and am reinstalling everything doing FF7 last not using the drivers included with the game) hopefully that will work...

Logi Browser
jcscrogs

I have been messing with this for a while now with all the original issues, nothing new, just the same ones... I can't play FF7 via my Logitech Precision game controller anymore after the updates I did above (it was working before the updates) but it does work with Skyrim except it doesn't have the right analog to be able to turn.

My Logitech Dual Action has the same issue(s) as the original post - it won't work at all, when it plugs in you hear the Windows sounds of it being plugged in/unplugged repetitively and the error message. I wanted this controller to work as I like it more than the Precision for FF7 and is the only controller I have that works with Skyrim (my PS3 controller is a major hassle to get working and stay working on PC and my XBOX controller is wireless which isn't compatible with PC like the wired).

I have never had these issues with Logitech ever. I have used Logitech for over a decade and to me conroller support (especially via USB) is fairly simple which is why I don't understand why these issues can't be fixed more easily. This is the official Logitech forums and I can't get a solution? I am around 30 hours into a game I can't finish because my controller stopped working...

Logi Browser
jcscrogs

Ok, I assigned the game to load through the Logitech Profiler and my Logitech Precision gamepad is now working again for my FF7 game - which I can deal with, but I still would like a solution to my Logitech Dual Action issue...

Meltech

Hello jcscrogs,

Do you have another PC you can test the Dual Action on? If the problem persists maybe a problem with the controller itself.

Kind Regards,

Knowledgebase | Downloads + Get Parts | Contact Support | Manuals | Warranty | Rebate
If a reply adequately addresses your technical issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Logi Nu
GROND

I have a Logitech Dual Action that is several years old now.

I have been using this controller on WinXP and on Win7 (64bit) without issue until just recently.

When I plug my controller in, Windows plays its little usb-in sound and the device shows up under the Device Manager.

Then, shortly thereafter, it plays the usb-out sound and it removes from the Device Manager.

It will do this repeatedly - in, then out, then in... - until I remove the controller.

Sometimes, it seems like its going to work until I start up a game (in this case, GTA IV), then it freaks out.

When I start up my Logitech profile software (circa 2004) it returns the error "Unable to detect any game controllers...", even when it is showing up in the Device Manager.

Also of note is the fact that sometimes when I plug it in, the USB hub I plugged it into shows an error in the Device Manager and will not work until I disable then enable it. It also seems to kill any USB devices that are plugged in next to it (my USB wireless NIC). I tried to reinstall the USB driver, without success.

Please help!

Cintech

Hello GROND,

If you are using an external USB hub please disable it for trouble shooting. The Dual Action Gamepad should be plugged directly in to the computer.

Best Regards,