Logi Nu
hfiend

Logitech F310 - Windows XP 32-bit (Service Pack 3) - My installation problem(s) and solution

IMPORTANT INFO:

This gamepad has two modes: XInput and DirectInput

- To change modes, look under your gamepad. You should see a switch with an X on the left side and a D on the right side.

- When I took the gamepad out of its packaging it was set to X.

-It is NOT recommended to switch modes while the gamepad is plugged in!

The following solution is for Windows XP 32-bit (as per thread subject)

To use the F310 without installing any drivers or Logitech software, set the mode to D and plug it into your computer. I've just tested this on my other laptop (Acer Aspire One - XP 32-bit SP3) which has not had any logitech software or additional drivers installed. Windows recognised it as 'Logitech Dual Action' and all the buttons and sticks are detected.

If you want to use the gamepad in 'X' mode you will have to install additional drivers.

The software on the (mini) CD seems to not contain the drivers needed so installing the CD software (Logitech Gaming Software) will NOT help you.

After searching this forum I was pointed to Microsoft drivers to get X mode working.

To make things more amusing, the recommended drivers were for Microsofts XBOX 360 controller.

Note: There are two versions of the XBOX 360 controller, wired (with a cable) and unwired (connects wirelessly).

The drivers I used were the WIRED drivers. They are available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

(apologies if this breaks the forum ToS - I tried to find unbranded Microsoft drivers and was pointed to 'Microsoft Common Controller 32bit.exe' which seemed fine until I ran it and encounter an ERROR - NOT RECOMMENDED)

Note: Ensure you select the right drivers for your operating system!

I downloaded the Windows XP SP2 or later (32-bit only)

1) Save the file (mine was titled 'Xbox360_32Eng.exe', remember it could be different if you downloaded the 64-bit version) to a familiar location.

1b) Scan the file with your anti-virus software. I ran it through Symantec (with the latest virus defs) and it was fine.

Note: Ensure that the F310 gamepad is NOT plugged in. Unplug it!

2) Did you unplug the F310 gamepad? You better have. Find the .exe file you just downloaded and run it. It takes a few moments before it fully installs.

3) You have just installed the (wired) XBOX360 gamepad drivers into your system (yes you were supposed to do that)

4) Dont plug it in yet! Set the gamepad mode to X

5) Now plug it in - It should now be recognised in your Windows XP as

'Controller (Logitech Gamepad F310)'

6) Install the Logitech Gaming Software. It is on the (mini) CD that comes with the F310.

You can also download it from this site (you'll have to dig around the F310 product page).

7) After the software has been installed you will be asked to plug the controller in (if you haven't already) or it will try to detect the gamepad if is already plugged in. It should be detected.

Note: While in X mode, you will NOT be able to access the Logitech Profiler (if you installed the 'Logitech Gaming Software')

Note: Remember NOT to switch modes while the gamepad is plugged in!

End note: I made a mess to get this pad working. First (while in X mode) I plugged it in and got the 'USB Device not detected' message. Then I installed the 'Logitech Gaming Software' thinking the drivers were bundled with it. NOPE. Still not detected. To make matters worse, when I plugged it in it made the DOUBLE usb connect/disconnect sound. Not good.

Then I did some googling and found the broken 'Microsoft Common Controller 32bit.exe' drivers. Then I searched this forum and found the XBOX360 controller driver solution (which I then installed).

So now I have the F310 working in both modes (X and D) and have a headache and don't feel like gaming.

I should of went with my gut feeling of doing some research before 'installing' the gamepad.

Good night.

Logi Nu
hell_storm2004

Re: Logitech F310 - Windows XP 32-bit (Service Pack 3) - My installation problem(s) and solution

Thanks! Your guide helped! The thread below you is mine and i was facing the same problem. What timing that you posted today!! :smileyhappy:
Logi Nu
Drakon

Re: Logitech F310 - Windows XP 32-bit (Service Pack 3) - My installation problem(s) and solution

Here we are, a month, month and a half later, and I myself get one of these nice controllers, and find myself ready to rip my hair out and write an irritated note in the "Contact Us" stuff, when I remembered that google is my friend, and that i can't be the only person having issues.

Your solution exactly fits what I needed to do to have my computer recognize the f310. Sharing your pain and solution has led another to not have as much pain of their own, so I giveded you a kudos for the post, and wrote this reply to let you know that it helped.

~§~ Drakon ~§~
Logi Nu
sachintanwar

Respected Brother,

I was facing the same problem, same you faced.

But now, after following your guideline regarding the installation and instruction, my office computer accept the same.

Now, i have to check the Gamepad at my house, because my home pc has many games to check it.

I would like to say extremly thank to you, for your help and guideline.

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Tanwar

Logi Nu
Cadc

well, I tried your solution for my 64 Bit computer with 64 Bit windows 7 drivers and all, but it didn't help any... should I try your 32 bit?