Logi New
hedwyg

VX Revolution - One Touch Search

ARGH!!! For the last several months, my VX Revolution will throw up search windows at random. I can be moving the mouse, clicking the mouse (but not on highlighted text), or just watching it sit there, and a search window will pop up. However, I have my search button set to "Do Nothing," so I don't understand how it can be doing this. When I disconnect the mouse and use only the touchpad on my laptop, I don't have this problem.

Just for kicks, I set the search button back to One Touch Search again, and was instantly "rewarded" with about six browser windows, each with two tabs loading a search engine. It took almost ten minutes for me to set this button back to "Do Nothing" again, what with the search windows popping up whenever I touched the mouse.

What could be causing this? I am using Set Point 3.30.165, which I just downloaded and installed this morning. I have Windows XP SP2 on a Compaq nx6110 laptop. Right now I'm using a wired connection to my corporate network, but the mouse exhibits the same behavior when I'm on wireless.

Help!

Thanks,
Hedwyg
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mal

Re: VX Revolution - One Touch Search

Hi hedwyg :smileyhappy:

Does this occur on other USB ports and also, have you tested the mouse without the SetPoint software? Please refer to this link for more information on embedded mode
Logi New
hedwyg

Good morning Mal, and thank you for your reply.

Last night I uninstalled the SetPoint drivers, and it is still throwing up search windows this morning, though not at quite the same frequency. Yesterday afternoon I just let them accumulate rather than closing each one as it popped up, and I had a group of 44 search windows in my task bar within a 10-minute period, so this should give you an idea of my level of frustration. (And one just popped up, but I haven't touched the mouse in over a minute, since I've been typing here.)

I will try plugging the mouse into a different USB port and let you know how that works.

Thanks again,
Hedwyg
Logi New
hedwyg

To follow up, plugged into my other USB port, yes, this mouse exhibits the same behavior. In addition, I also get the beep-tones from Windows that indicate that it's losing and gaining connection on a pretty frequent basis, plugged into this port. I put a fresh (rechargeable) battery into this mouse last week, and it's had the same behavior before and after the battery change.

I also noted that when I installed SetPoint 4.0 yesterday, it got WORSE. Thankfully, the popups aren't as frequent running in embedded mode, but when I do more mouse-intensive work, I do get more of them.

Any other troubleshooting tips or advice? I think I got this mouse in January or February, so I don't know what its warranty status is. I'm disappointed, though, because I've always loved Logitech mice... I remember spending almost $100 on a really nice Logitech mouse in 1990 for my first DOS/Windows PC. (Though I did still have my C64 hooked up at the time, too.)

Thanks again,
Hedwyg
Mal

test the mouse on another system. If it exhibits the same problem , I suggest that you contact customer support via phone for information on  replacement and you may refer to the Contact tab on top of our webpage. You may also refer to article 53 on this link here.

Another option is to email us at this link
Logi New
hedwyg

Sigh. Thank you, Mal. I have done all of those things, and the mouse continues to exhibit the same symptoms on three different machines with three different versions of Windows (Vista, XP Pro, XP Home) - with and without the SetPoint software installed. Customer Service wants me to sit on the phone with them while I'm on one of the machines, so that they can look at drivers and other TSRs that are running before they are willing to issue an RMA. Even though I paid a pretty penny for this mouse, after the troubleshooting I've already done, I'm not willing to invest this time. It is already clear that the problem is the hardware, and I'm disappointed that Logitech is not willing to back up its product. I'm using a different product now with my laptop, and it doesn't fit my hand as well as the VX Revolution, but it doesn't throw up annoying search windows (quite literally) every couple seconds, either.
Mal

When you contacted our phone support, were you provided with a case reference #? If yes, please provide that # via PM(private message) and I will check on your case
Logi Nu
BoOllinger

Hey I am having this problem as well...what did we do to solve this?
Logi New
hedwyg

BoOllinger wrote:
Hey I am having this problem as well...what did we do to solve this?

Sigh... I never did solve it, because I couldn't find that case number. I ended up buying a new VX Revolution for use at home and on travel, and am now using Microsoft 6000/7000 ergo mice at the office. But with that new VX? I use the native drivers; I don't install the Logitech software. And I disable one-touch search, since I never used it anyway. Just in case. :-)

Best of luck to you!
Hedwyg
Logi Nu
BoOllinger

well i don't have the software installed and i am not sure how to disable one click search-i have my old mircosoft mouse in now, so no worries.

Thanks for your help