Logi Nu
bigguy51

Can I use a Trackman Marble FX mouse with a USB port?

I currently have a Trackman Marble FX mouse working on an XP computer using the PS/2 port. Can I make it work through the USB port by just getting a adapter and using the old software or do I need to get a USB driver?
Logi Legend
rlowens

Re: Can I use a Trackman Marble FX mouse with a USB port?

There are generic PS/2->USB adapters that have their own USB drivers and add an emulated set of PS/2 ports to your PC, which may work with the Trackman Marble FX. If the adapter does a good job, the emulated PS/2 port would work with the Trackman Marble FX's normal PS/2 driver and you would get full functionality. If it does a poor job, some of the buttons might not work.

Logitech doesn't manufacture or support generic PS/2->USB adapters such as this, so it would be up to the manufacturer of the adapter to provide you with any support. These adapters can be found at most PC supply stores for about 20$US. I have no idea how well they work.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Nu
Albatorsk

Ok, let me first apologize for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I've recently been bitten by this issue my self.

After a motherboard upgrade, I no longer have PS/2 ports (which I think is fine by itself), but that also leaves my Trackman Marble FX kind of useless.

I've borrowed a few USB->PS/2 adapters and even bought one, but neither of them supports the fourth (red) button. Apart from that they work fine, but I need that red button for scroll wheel emulation.

Has anyone had any luck finding a USB->PS/2 adapter that works perfectly with the Marble FX?
Logi Nu
watchamacallit

If you are trying to install under Vista, it may not be the adapter, but Vista compatibility. This thread:  http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=legacy_general&message.id=68 
concerns installing the older trackballs in Vista under the XP compatibility setting. Those members were also losing a button until they found the setting.

Paul

Logi Nu
watchamacallit

There are also PS2 to serial adapters, it you've got a serial port you could try that.

Paul