Logi Visitor
ZeWaren

My Alternative to setpoint

[ Edited ]
Hi, I'm sorry to tell you this logitech people, but setpoint isn't exactly the software I was expected to find when I bought my MX1000. I mean, the hardware is great. I think the MX1000 is the best mouse in the world.

So, to maximize the potential of the device, I wrote my own filter driver to replace (or work with) setpoint. That way I can really use the 10 buttons of my mouse. I have lots of combos between buttons, and I can even adjust the volume of my media players with the wheel (this is huge). If you want more details of how I configured it, please look here.

I also wrote the same driver for a friend who got a VX Revolution. In the future I plan on supporting most mice available. In the meantime, if you want to get the software (it's free), just go here.

If you have any suggestion, please let me know.

PS: sorry if I made spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.

Message Edited by ZeWaren on 08-29-2007 01:01 AM

ZeWaren / Erwan Martin (zewaren.net)
Author of ZW Driver Alternative (zwda.fzwte.net)
Logi Legend
rlowens

Re: Alternative to setpoint for MX1000 and VX Revolution.

Nice work. I'd be happy to help with your project. I already have made button images for most SetPoint-controlled devices that don't already have button images in SetPoint, for use with uberOptions.

What is/will be the cost of the program? Are there any limitations in the free version?

I noticed that your Mouse functions don't include the events for buttons 4 and 5 (mousex1 down/up and mousex2 down/up), which would be good to include.

Also, does ZWDA work with Vista? I know that many older Logitech devices don't have Vista support, so if ZWDA works on Vista it may help many people to add some older (non-SetPoint) devices to ZWDA (such as the MX300, MX500, MX700, TrackMan FX, some of the older keyboard models, etc.)

Personally, I've been able to mod SetPoint to do pretty much everything I want, but I'll definitely try out ZWDA too.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Visitor
ZeWaren

What is/will be the cost of the program? Are there any limitations in the free version?
The software is completely free. The only limitation is the quiet text asking you to register.

I noticed that your Mouse functions don't include the events for buttons 4 and 5 (mousex1 down/up and mousex2 down/up), which would be good to include.
I don't understand what you mean. What are the mousex1 and mousex2 buttons?

Also, does ZWDA work with Vista?
I didn't test it yet because I didn't have time, but it should work normally. Actually I will try it today.

Personally, I've been able to mod SetPoint to do pretty much everything I want, but I'll definitely try out ZWDA too.
What SetPoint doesn't have is the possibility of creating combos. Two buttons pressed together don't trigger the same action like if only one of them is pressed.

In a couple of days I should get back to the development of the software. I will try to make it auto detect any mouse configuration through HID information. If this works, it should be able to detect any USB mouse, and then I will release the final version. People would just need to create profiles, add beautiful images to help then configure their devices and then use them.

If you want to help me, please do. For the moment I work alone with friends and you seem to know quite a lot about logitech devices.

Logi Legend
rlowens

There are 5 standard mouse button events:
LBUTTON
RBUTTON
MBUTTON
XBUTTON1
XBUTTON2

If you can add the XButtons, they can be used by games (and they do the normal forward/back functions in browsers). See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645601.aspx

Logitech leaving the XButtons out of SetPoint is one of my main remaining problems.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Visitor
ZeWaren

[ Edited ]
I added the two X-Buttons to the mouse tab. I also fixed a bug in the installer. The latest versions (setup and zip) are on the download page.

I also tried to run ZWDA on vista. Well, it worked as good as with XP. I just needed to start the program as an administrator or else it couldn't connect to the driver.

Message Edited by ZeWaren on 08-16-2007 11:24 PM

Logi Visitor
ZeWaren

I created a driver for "regular mice". A regular mouse only handles up to five buttons and a wheel, so the best logitech mice with more than two extra buttons won't be handled completely. If setpoint is installed, it will only handle the left and right click, which is not very useful.

But if you have a simple mouse (less than 6 buttons), you should try it.

Anyway, I found an old PS2 mouse in a box, now I use it as a remote for winamp, it's very handy.

Logi Nu
Airport1

Wow. Finally a possible alternative to SetPoint, which I really hate to use, as it is too big and most of it not really needful. I tried your software, installed your Software, but the driver for the MX1000 doesn't detect my MX1000. The regular mouse driver do. Are there any Prerequisites? Ehm, I own a diNovo Media Desktop Laser with Keyboard and MediaPad. Will you implement an alternative to the big nasty SetPoint also for these devices, I would like it .) If you don't want to do, do you think it's easy or hard to do? If I had the right information how to control, I might be able to implement it for myself. @LogiTech: what about an small alternative for the big and oversized SetPoint which often makes more problems than it solves. Since them I never reinstalled it, I really hate it :smileywink: Is there a way to get developer information for own implementations?
Logi Nu
dairyman123

Thanks for such a great software, setpoint has been a nightmare in my case and a complete waste of the capabilities of the hardware.
Logi Visitor
ZeWaren

Are you sure you own a MX1000 Radio? I don't think the installer will work with the bluetooth version (but the software will with the manual installation I guess).
It won't also work if the mouse is plugged in a PS2 port, it has to be USBed. You can use the regular mouse driver, but it doesn't handle every button of the MX1000 and so it's a big waste of the hardware.

I'm still working on the different drivers, I hope to be able to release generic drivers which will handle every mouse and keyboard. I'm currently creating the driver for the HID devices. Then I think I will create the one which handles all the keyboards. But all this takes time, but eventually people will be able to fully use their hardware.

To create devices for ZWDA, it's quite simple. With version 1 I will release a small SDK with a few example to help people integrate their device with the software (and also how to make plugins). Creating the device for ZWDA is very simple, but creating the driver for the device isn't. If you know how to get the information from your device I can integrate it quickly.

I hope this answered your questions, if not don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Logi Nu
Airport1

You're right, I own a complete Bluetooth Set, not a "normal" radio. So it's my mistake.

If you manage to develop an alternative software solution for this SetPoint "rubbish" I think you are not only my personal HERO ;-) How did you found out how the devices communicate, or the protocol of messages? Is it easy or hard to implement?