Logi Rook
ThePreacher

!!!SOLUTION FOR SETPOINT 4.00 INSTALL PROBLEM FOUND!!!

[ Edited ]
The "WDF Coinstaller installation", which is part of the SetPoint 4.0 drivers, is the cause. I was able to install this update only after unplugging my G7 Mouse. But upon re-plugging of the Mouse receiver on to the USB Port, the "WDF Coinstaller installation" launches again, and
1) hangs. INF install will not continue and the XP hardware update wizard takes forever;
2) sends a error code to the driver installer itself and than the hardware update wizard fails with a fatal error;

THE SOLUTION (this took three days for me to find it out):
go to \programs\common files\logitech\CDDRV (if you can't find this folder, simply seach for "LfMouHid.inf". Open the file for EDIT.
Delete this lines:

;--- WDF Coinstaller installation ------
;
[DestinationDirs]
LOGIHIDMOUSE_Inst_CoInstaller_CopyFiles = 11
[LOGIHIDMOUSE.NT.CoInstallers]
AddReg=LOGIHIDMOUSE_Inst_CoInstaller_AddReg
CopyFiles=LOGIHIDMOUSE_Inst_CoInstaller_CopyFiles
[LOGIHIDMOUSE_Inst_CoInstaller_AddReg]
HKR,,CoInstallers32,0x00010000, "WdfCoInstaller01005.dll,WdfCoInstaller"
[LOGIHIDMOUSE_Inst_CoInstaller_CopyFiles]
WdfCoInstaller01005.dll
[SourceDisksFiles]
WdfCoInstaller01005.dll=1   ; make sure the number matches with SourceDisksNames
[LOGIHIDMOUSE.NT.Wdf]
KmdfService = LMouFilt, LOGIHIDMOUSE_wdfsect
[LOGIHIDMOUSE_wdfsect]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.5
;-------end of WDF section

Save the .inf file. Launch the driver update wizard again, select "manual" and point to the CDDRV folder. Select the new edited "LfMouHid.inf" file and THE 4.00 DRIVER WILL BE INSTALLED WITHOUT PROBLEMS!!
The only thing is, since we have edited the inf-file, the driver is not signed anymore, but who cares?

Try this, post your results!

I hope this will finally help...

Message Edited by ThePreacher on 06-13-2007 06:22 AM
Logi Browser

Re: !!!SOLUTION FOR SETPOINT 4.00 INSTALL PROBLEM FOUND!!!

That's a great find, and I hope to the Gods that it works! I wish you had discovered this about 12 hours ago, so I could actually try this. As it stands, it'll have to wait until I get home from work... in 12 hours.

If this works, Logitech should hire you. You debugged their mess before they could provide a fix!
Logi Browser
PawPaw

Many many many thanks to The Preacher..... It works and now my MX Rev is working with Setpoint 4. Logitech really need to offer you something special because you have done what they could not. Great work and i really do thank you because i was getting very fed up with this whole situation and lack of customer care from Logitech.
Logi Browser
ZDragon

Yes it definitely works, this really is a charm after trying so hard the past days :smileyhappy:
Logi Browser
SupeRaven

Negative Ghost Rider. Which devices did you use this trick for? I tried it for my BlueTooth MX1000, BlueTooth MX5000, and wired G5. When I choose the modified INF the install runs and I click to "continue anyway" on the unsigned driver, but it ends with "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing. (Code 39)". BTW it will do this with both the 3.3 and 4.0 CDDRV files. Guess it is time to role back to 3.1... again. :smileysad:
Logi Rook
ThePreacher

Glad to here it is working for most of you.

At the moment I have only used it for my G7. I think this will only help on systems, where the .inf driver installer was hanging on file copy and took forever or finished with a "serious error during installation" (don't know how the error message looks exactly on english language systems).

@SupeRaven: First check, if you have really deleted the correct lines. Then you could try to copy the files the installer tries to copy to the "windows/system32" and "/drivers" folders manually (overwrite old files) and then launch the hardware wizard again. If the files are already "in use" and you can't overwrite them, then that's the problem.
In your case the "clean install" method with deleting of hidden devices could also help. Logitech provides a howto, the one I have got is german, so it won't help you... But I think you can find it somewhere here in the forum. Look for the error code here, maybe this could also help:

Logi Browser

[ Edited ]
Your trick didn't work for me, either. Double-checked that the right set of strings were deleted.

I noticed that when I reinstall Setpoint 4.0, my MX Rev shows up, and I can customize it however I wish... but the driver installation still fails.

However, if I reboot, the MX Rev no longer displays in Setpoint, and it becomes a $10 mouse again.

Message Edited by Pegasus on 06-19-2007 08:53 PM
Logi Legend
rlowens

One of my home PCs has had this problem since SetPoint 3.30. Your workaround works great so far. Note that the same workaround works for keyboards by editing LfKbdHid.inf as well.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Browser
PawPaw

One thing i noticed is that the LfMouHid.inf file ( on my system anyway ) is created in several locations. I had four copies of it in different locations.I had to change all of them for this trick to work. Try just searching for the LfMouHid.inf file and change them all then reinstall the driver. That is what i did and it worked .
Logi Rook
ThePreacher

PawPaw, you're right. This could be the problem on the other systems! Because if windows finds more drivers it will always use the digitally signed WHQL first. :smileywink:

Maybe you others still have some original .inf files within the windows driver backup folders.

Since I have cleaned up everything manually before using my modified .inf file, I didn't have that problem.

BTW: A manual cleanup of driver files within Windows XP or with "regedit" is pretty dangerous. If you delete the wrong entries or files, you could loose driver support for the device completely, and than you have a working windows without Mouse and/or Keyboard support - not that usefull.
So be carefull. :smileysad:

@dj4aces: First Uninstall SetPoint. Do the standard cleanup procedure from Logitech. First install SetPoint 4.0 (driver install will fail, but you have SetPoint 4.0). Than try the what PawPaw wrote, launch the "device manager" and launch the "driver update wizard" in manual mode from there.
What you are writing there sounds really familiar to me. As long as the driver installation hangs in background, you have access to the SetPoint settings, since the driver files from Logitech are already installed. You might see an "unknown" device during that in device manager. But upon restart, windows detects, that the driver installation failed, and does a rollback to the previous driver. So you loose the advanced SetPoint settings again. But the hang should only happen, if Windows still find unmodified .inf files again. You could also try to use another USB port after SetPoint 4.0 install!