Logi Nu
Dlatch

How I can I change the mouse button mapping on my M560 on Linux?

Hi,

I have just bought a M560 mouse for use with my laptop. I work on both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu). Now apparently, the mouse is mapped for Windows 8. This means that the side buttons (which have been forward/backward for many, many years) do not have this functionality. Also, there is no middle mouse button.

In Windows 7 this is not so much a problem, as the Setpoint utility lets me change that. However, I can not find this tool for Linux.

Is there an alternative way to change the mapping of the mouse buttons in Linux? Otherwise I am going to have to return the mouse, because while I might get used to the side scrolling as forward/backward, I can not work without a middle mouse button.

Why would Logitech change the standard mapping anyway? Seems like a stupid thing to do if you ask me...

MichaelKenward
Topics: 16
Solutions: 227

Re: How I can I change the mouse button mapping on my M560 on Linux?

Logitech makes no claim that this mouse works in Linux.

Wireless Mouse for Windows 8 - M560 - Logitech

That means that it hasn't written the software to do what you want. So it is down to Linux to provide whatever support it can.

If you want a Linux compatible mouse, go to the Products page and choose the button that homes in on that Platform.

Mice for PC & Mac

Looks like you need an M185:

M185 Wireless Mouse

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
redhatman123

There is a work around for Linux to have the M560 act as a traditional mouse under linux here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1035668

Logi Nu
wep_master

[ Edited ]

I used the following information to do so:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MouseCustomizations

This is the .xbindkeys that I've been using:

#side up
"/usr/bin/xte 'keyup Super_R' ; sleep .01; /usr/bin/xte 'key Home' &"
   Super_R

#side down
"/usr/bin/xte 'keyup Super_L' ; sleep .01; /usr/bin/xte 'key End' &"
   Mod4 + d

#middle left
""
   Control + Tab + Super_L

#middle
"/usr/bin/xte 'mouseclick 1'&"
   Super_L + Alt

Also, I used the following command to assign mouse button 2 (middle button) to number 9.

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 9 3 4 5 6 7 8 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24"

I've been unable to do something with the little button behind the mouse's scroll, because of it tow stages. One is Super_L + Alt, and the other is mouse button 1.