Logi Nu
Ander

How to uninstall Logitech Download Assistant?

Hi everybody,

I have a new Logitech wireless mouse. I installed the SetPoint driver and—possibly unwisely—the Logitech Download Assistant utility.

I soon found our PC was spontaneously resuming from Standby. I opened Device Manager and found the mouse settings for "Allow this device to wake the computer" had been reselected. I guess I should've foreseen that.

I cleared the settings and thought that took care of it. Now, a few days later, I've found our PC running again, and found the "wake" settings had been re-selected.

My best guess is that the Logitech Download Assistant—which I understand automatically downloads and installs Logitech updates—did that, and reset the "wake" settings.

Logitech Download Assistant doesn't appear in Windows 7's uninstall list. I looked online but couldn't directions for uninstalling it. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks, Ander

MichaelKenward
Topics: 18
Solutions: 260

Re: How to uninstall Logitech Download Assistant?

Run msconfig.

Go to the "Startup" tab.

Disable "Logitech Download Assistant". (And anything else worrying in there.)

Reboot.

Relax.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
Ander

I did check for it as a startup, as soon as I found it couldn't be uninstalled. (I used the Autoruns utility from Windows Sysinternals; it's much more comprehensive than msconfig. After reading your reply, I checked msconfig too.)

I assumed LDA was installed because:

_ It appeared in Windows Update; then, after I selected it along with other updates and installed everything, LDA no longer appeared there.

_ LogiLDA.dll, which I understand is associated with LDA, was now in my Windows/System32 folder.

Because LogiLDA.dll isn't an actual startup task (there's no reference to it in my Windows registry), I assume Logitech's SetPoint driver calls it on login. Seems rather sneaky, doesn't it—especially considering it's an app that "phones home"?

I've ended up just renaming LogiLDA.dll so it won't run. Thanks just the same, though.

And now, want to see something goofy? I also emailed Logitech Support and asked them how to uninstall LDA. They replied:

- - -

From your e-mail, I understand you are having an issue uninstalling the software of your Logitech Wireless Mouse M510. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience... [extra verbiage omitted]

Regarding your issue, I would like to verify if you have tried to perform the suggestions below? If not yet, please do so to help us isolate the issue.

The software might be corrupted, just to be sure to install it properly, please uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller Pro. You can download the 30 days free trial on www.revouninstaller.com. This software will uninstall all the components of the program including the registry.

Once you have installed the Revo Uninstaller, please follow the steps below:

1. Close the Logitech Webcam Software > go to the system tray and look for the icon.
2. Right click on the icon of the Logitech Webcam Software > Exit.
3. Open the Revo Uninstaller > look for the Logitech Webcam Software then right click > uninstall.
4. Wait for the software while it scans > it will ask to uninstall the software.
5. Once the software is uninstalled > select the scan to Advance then click Scan.
6. Once all the registry appears > click Select All > Delete.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to visit our website...

- - -

In other words:

_ They referred me to a third-party uninstaller (rather than providing their own uninstaller, or manual directions for removing their own software).

_ They encouraged me to use shareware for free, then uninstall it (and apparently do so routinely).

_ They gave me instructions for removing the wrong thing (webcam software).

Hmm, I guess the ol' auto-responder didn't find the right keywords in my message.  :?D

MichaelKenward

I'm afraid the "robot" that replies to support requests often gets it wrong.

They didn't even get the question right. Had you followed their instructions, you would have been

By coincidence, Windows Update offered to update the Logitech Download Assistant today. I declined.

Another useful utility for startup issues is StartupRun from Nirsoft. If you install Windows System Control Center it can combine the Nirsoft and Sysinternals utilities into a seriously useful package.

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
Lang1952

I installed the 8.1 windows update and had the same problem, however when I followed the fix and disabled the LDL, which solved the error message, my keyboard was wrong after a reboot.Arghhhhh! It took me ages to reset the keyboard back to UK english with the @ and " the right way round. FYI The laptop is an Advent monza v200. There are notes on how to reset the language and keyboard at:

http://acer-sg.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32046/~/changing-the-keyboard-layout-in-windows-...

The microsoft site gives the wrong information, which is why I wasted so much time.

MichaelKenward

Lang1952 wrote:

It took me ages to reset the keyboard back to UK english with the @ and " the right way round.

This is usually a straightforward tweak in Windows.

Language settings are in Windows (adjust for Windows 8):

• Control Panel
  • Region and Language
  • Keyboard and Languages

Which bit didn't work for you?