Logi Nu
Elting

KHALMNPR.EXE is using 98% of CPU

Windows XP with MX320, SetPoint 2.49: The mouse is good, sw is bad. I have to stop KHALMNPR.EXE to get some work done - otherwise the system is so slow I can't work. So I turn it off. The left/right buttons and wheel still works, but the thumb-button don't.

Two questions:
1) What does this process do?
2) How do I stop it from stealing my cpu?

Bent
Logi Legend
rlowens

Re: KHALMNPR.EXE is using 98% of CPU

1. That is the SetPoint mouse driver backend process: KHALMNPR: Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer MaiN PRocess.

2. You are using a fairly old version of SetPoint. Try updating to SetPoint 3.30 from the downloads page.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Nu
ODAAT4ME

hi, i'm having the same issue. when i contacted Logitech tech support via email, they told me that KHALMNPR and SetPoint are not required to use their mice, so I deleted (uninstalled) setpoint, and unchecked KHALMNPR from the startup tab in msconfig. seems to be working fine (for now).
Logi Nu
GeorgeKnighton

The main thing that KHALMNPR seems to be designed to do is to keep your Windows mouse settings from interfering with the settings that you make using the Setpoint application.

You do not need to use the KHALMNPR process or Setpoint in order to use your mouse; however, using the Logitech processes makes some choices easier.

For example, unless you want to manually edit your registry, it will be hard to get your centre or scroll wheel click to equal a Windows doubleclick.
Logi Nu
tonnelier

Another problem with SetPoint and KHALMNPR.exe! My laptop did not enter Sleep using Power Management schemes. Through a lengthy process of elimination I unchecked SetPoint and Desktop Messenger in Start>Run>msconfig>Startup and now the laptop works perfectly. Is this a known glitch and is there a workaround?
Logi Guru
jdbower

Which OS and which version of SetPoint are you using?  Under XP Pro SP2 and SP3 with SetPoint 4.6  this process is 0% and uses about 7MB of memory on my systems.

Are you a WannabeFAQreader?
Logi Nu
billyboy1

i recently read your message and tried what you suggested. ran msconfig, unchecked the KHALMNPR in the start up tab, and rebooted. there are spikes between the two configurations. however, the biggest memory hog was McAfee software. Checke it on the task manager.
Logi Nu
kjbinstl

Same thing happened to me, for half a minute or so, using SetPoint control center version 4.80.103, driver version 4.82.11. System is Lenovo X61s running Win XP Pro SP3.

Plus, unrelated to this, the software lets some actions be assigned to certain buttons but not others. Why??

Logi Legend
rlowens

kjbinstl wrote:

Same thing happened to me, for half a minute or so, using SetPoint control center version 4.80.103, driver version 4.82.11. System is Lenovo X61s running Win XP Pro SP3.

Plus, unrelated to this, the software lets some actions be assigned to certain buttons but not others. Why??

I haven't seen KHALMNPR.EXE using lots of CPU since this old version of SetPoint. Not sure what would cause that.

For full button editing, install uberOptions.

-Richard L. Owens, author of the uberOptions mod for SetPoint. Unlock the options of your SetPoint-controlled device! mirror
Logi Nu
BillyBuerger

Looks like it's time to resurect this.  I'm seeing KHALMNPR.EXE using 100% of one cpu (so 25% total) occasionally.  It'll work fine for a while then I'll notice things are dogging a bit, check task manager and there it is.  I kill it off and everything is fine.  Only thing I miss is the OSD for things like volume and lock keys.  Here's my system setup...

Logitech K750 keyboard

Logitech M310 mouse

Logitech Unifying dongle (from keyboard)

Windows 7 64bit

SetPoint 6.32.7

I just recently updated my PC hardware so this is on a clean install.  I was using the same keyboard/mouse and software with my previous PC and it happened there occasionally as well.  It's been 5 years since the first post here and it looks like they still haven't fixed this issue.  Nice!