Logi Nu
rbiondi

Re: Logitech TrackMan Marble FX Trackball

Sorry Magiken.  The Trackman Wheel isn't even close to the Trackman Marble FX.  The ball is on the wrong side!  I wouldn't be so fast to think that Logictech is responding to its customers.
Logi Browser
MagiKen

[ Edited ]

My friend, I do not know what you consider the "wrong side" for the ball to be on, but I am using the new TrackMan Wheel right now and loving it.  The ball is on the same side as my old Marble from the early 1990's.  Even the basic over all shape and feel is the same.    

If you are a left-handed user then there is the TrackMan Optical that puts the ball on the left instead.  However, I am not sure about the size or feel of it.  Then too, there is the new version of the Marble that places the ball in the middle of the top where the buttons formerly were located; but, I admit that for my taste, it does look too thin in the ad picture.  However, I suppose the new Marble is designed for the ambidextrous or for multiple users where handedness may need to be switched back and forth at times.  Where do you WANT the ball to be?      

People have been complaining about wanting to go back to the old Marble.  The new Wheel TrackMan does that as far as I can see, and does it better and with greater versitility.  It incorporated all the various suggestions on this thread and then some.  Personally, I call that LogiTech listening.   

And NO, I do not work for them, own stock, nor am I, or any family member or friend directly or indirectly connected to them in any way other than as customers to the best of my knowledge. 

So please, go to Mice + Pointers at the top of this page and then click on the picture of the generic TrackMan trackball and check out the options.  I hope you are delighted with what you find. I certainly was.

Message Edited by MagiKen on 08-25-2009 02:36 PM
Message Edited by MagiKen on 08-25-2009 02:38 PM
Message Edited by MagiKen on 08-25-2009 02:39 PM
Logi Nu
rbiondi

Please understand that we are talking about the Marble "FX".  Not the Marble.  On the FX the ball is situated to the right so as to be controlled by the index and long finger.  Not the thumb.
Logi Browser
MagiKen

[ Edited ]

OK then, my old Marble IS NOT the FX version.  As I mentioned in my first posting, I was not 100% sure.  What I did have was ergonomic and comfortable and a few years ago Logitech had discontinued anything like it (too). It fit the profile as far as I knew.

I must admit my ignorance and humbly confess I thought my old one, comfortable and temporarily discontinued, must have been the elusive FX model.  Hearing how the FX ball is manipulated, I now know for sure that it is not.  If the FX is controlled by the first two fingers, then is the TrackMan Optical, with its forwardish right-sided ball, anything like the old FX version? Or the fully front centered current Marble?  I’m just curious.

However, personally, I admit that I like using my thumb to control the ball, although that could be from nearly 20 years of conditioning myself that way with my old Marble (now two times over with my new, nearly identical, Wheel version as well).  I could see using the fingers in a natural pointing and writing motion working well too.

I am sorry if I got anyone's hopes up falsely.  Logitech brought back my once terminated favorite version.   May they do the same for you someday -- soon.

Message Edited by MagiKen on 08-25-2009 04:35 PM
Logi Nu
TStern

I too subscribed so I could comment this item. I currently have two Marble FXs that are in regular use. One of them has a sticky microswitch on the left button, but this seems to be fixed, at least for the last five years by a quick tap on the desk. I too have been looking for a replacement in case my current FXs ever break.

Yes the new Cordless Optical Trackman looks like a reasonable attempt at a replacement - apart from the cordless bit and the sucky build quality. Perhaps MAKE magazine will publish an article on how to stick a cord on the thing, but really Logitech should just stick a cord onto something you don't move around, and quite frankly six feet isn't enough distance to be useful, after all if you are using a computer, you're near it so a cord isn't useful, and if you're using a computer as a TV you are further than six feet away. Seems largely pointless on mice too.

I guess the best hope is someone will make their own moulds from the FX, put a scroll wheel on it somewhere, and fit it up with the innards from a (yuk) Trackman Wheel. Of course, if you want wireless you can have the innards from the Cordless Optical and a few extra buttons.

Logi Nu
Muftobration

As I said in another thread on this site, Logitech should seriously consider making newer trackballs with sensitivity fit for current screens. I would like to see a gaming trackball based on the FX design.

Logi Nu
ekscrypto

Like so many others I registered in this forum only to add support to re-releasing a Marble FX trackball.

I have tried enumerable trackballs and mice, and every time I try another one (including the Cordless Optical TrackMan) I keep wishing I still had a working Marble FX.

What I liked was:

- The big ball meant you had more control when you wanted precision

- The indent for the thumb allowed even more precision and I agree that if the thumb could be used a bit more it would be a bonus.

- Comfort, you could rest your hand and due to the natural angle of your wrist on this mouse it feels natural and don't get tired

- The ball was positioned so it could be used by the first two fingers of the hand, which are the most agile.

- Easy to pop out the ball and clean

The Cordless Optical Trackman is close but not quite there; and its already getting hard to find one in my town; only 1 of the 10 different stores I went to carried it, and they were out of stock.

I too would be ready to pay over 200$ to get my hands on one, if possible USB (I could live with wireless as long as its rechargeable).  Where's the pledge subscription page Logitech, pretty please?

Logi Nu
Frozen208

Well it would be great if they did, but all we will ever hear from them is "OH THAT IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!! OMG I WILL FORWARD THIS TO SOMEONE WHO WON'T LISTEN OR CARE.  THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PASSIONATE ABOUT A COMPANY THAT HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO IGNORE YOUR DESIRES!"

Please create a mouse simlar to the original Marble FX, we need a good updated finger mouse with 3+ buttons and a scroll wheel!

Logi Nu
Raptor227

Well we have all let logitech know of our love of out FX's.  And I really hope they are listening however I would like to add one more wish to the list and that is Mouseware for Vista and 7.  While it is true they identify the  unit as a mouse that is all.  There is no programming for the buttons and Vista only lets L, R, and upper buttons work.  No fourth button function at all. 

If this is some kind of problem why not let MouseWare become open and let some other programmers look at it?

I Love my FX and have had to rewire it twice in the past 12 years.  (I date all my hardware when I purchase it)  Keep up the good work and yes we are still waiting (it could even be a "retro design" for the release and you'll gain even more converts, because there truly isnlt anything on the market with the comfort and feel!

Logi Nu
CoryfromMN

Well,well

I just purchased a new computer with Win7 and had to buy a PS2 to USB adapter to get my Marble FX to work with this system.  I came to the Logitech site to see if there were any updates etc. to get the buttons all to work correctly again and found this thread running!

Let me just say emphatically... I LOVE MY FX!  As everyone here mentioned, it is unbelievably ergonomic and with precision control via thumb and finger that is indispensable when I work in my desktop publishing enviro!

And, like most others here I humbly ask those who might listen, PLEASE BRING THIS BACK WITH USB AND FULL FUNCTION BUTTONS just as it was!  I too paid more (around $80) when I bought it new years ago, but it still works flawlessly (aside from the lack of ability to program the buttons/lack of software upgrade).

I've got a family member who loves trackballs too, although they have a newer center mount ball version that isn't even close in response as is the FX.

Maybe LOGITECH could take pledges as was suggested and make a run of new FX's for us diehards and also do bit of marketing to the publishing folks with all of our testimonials.  I'd pay another $80 and give Logitech $10 towards adding a coupon in the box of another for someone else to get a rebate if they would make them again!

CONSIDER THE LOYALTY FOLKS!

A fan from the northwoods,

Cory