Logi Nu
specktater

M570 and Linux

I realize the M570 is not officially supported in Linux, but has anyone had success (or issues) using it in Linux?  I recently tried to buy a replacement Trackman Wheel (would have been my fourth) and found out it had been discontinued.  I'm not too concerned if the programmable page up/page down buttons work, I'm just looking for similar function to the Trackman Wheel.

Logi Apprentice
smlunatick

Re: M570 and Linux

Once the M570 is "paired" to a receiver, if you move that "paired" receiver / M570 to a Linux computerm you just get the "minimum" mouse button configuration.

Logi Nu
specktater

Thanks. Once I receive the mouse, I'll pair the receiver/M570 in Windows first (this is a Windows 7/Linux dual boot PC). As long as I don't lose any of the functionality that I have with my current Trackman Wheel, I'll be happy.
Logi Nu
Vladd44

No need for MS Windows to make this trackball work properly in Linux.

Go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

See bld below to know what to change. The other is to give you an idea where in xorg.conf it is located.  The ID, Driver, Protocol and Device could have some variance. But it will look essentially alike.

Also, there is a program you can reach from command line called "xev". It is in almost all distros, It will tell you the key value of any of your mouse or keyboard keys. This allows you to do whatever you wish with them.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 10 11"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

EndSection

Logi Apprentice
smlunatick

The Unifying Receiver needs Windows to be able to use the Unifying Software, which is used to reset the device / receiver pairings

Logi Nu
halcasteel

I am using the M570  as I post this with OS -  Ubuntu 10.04

I paired the receiver and mouse using the Logitech software in Windows XP, and Mac OS X (Lion).

The M570 works great, all of the buttons are working, I did not need to do any additional configuration. I am using all the buttons set to the standard defaults. The scroll works, The 4 and 5 buttons are set to Forward and Back, which is handy while using a browser. Scroll works and the the scroll also has the button set to function as a 

It is a good mouse, I am going to get another, I use Mac on my laptops and desktop, and Linux, for coding, and general day to day use, and Windows XP and Win 7 for usability testing. It is nice to have a single mouse that works across all of the machines I use regularly.

I highly recommend this mouse.

Logi Browser
Azelphur

[ Edited ]

Ubuntu 12.04 here, no need for windows to pair at all. Plug and play for me straight out of the box :smileyhappy:

To replace the logitech setpoint software you have a few options:

XBindKeys: This will allow you to bind your mouse buttons to perform actions, such as launching applications, sending keystrokes, etc. (Ubuntu packages: xbindkeys and xbindkeys-config)

Compiz: You can use compiz to bind the extra mouse buttons to perform WM actions or run commands. You can set all this up in compizconfig settings manager (Ubuntu package: compizconfig-settings-manager)

If there's anything the Logitech SetPoint software does that isn't covered by those, let me know and I'll find a way to do it if there is one :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
Binsky734

I just found an extremely simple way of getting your Unifying Receiver to function on Linux without having to bother with pairing it on Windows first. In fact, I tried pairing my M570 with Windows first, and that did not work.

1. Download this small C program.
  2. Ctrl+Alt+T to open a command line and cd to your download directory
  3. $ gcc -o unifying_pair unifying_pair.c
  4. Unplug your Unifying Receiver and head to /dev
  5. Plug in your Unifying Receiver and wait for it to show up in /dev/. Mine was hidraw0.
  6. $ sudo ./unifying_pair /dev/X where X is which ever device name was in your /dev/ directory for your receiver.
  7. If your mouse is not already on, switch it on now. You might have to do the whole 'turn it off and back on' thing, but mine connected right away.

Hope this helped!

Source

Logi Nu
alexleekt

thank you. that was really helpful!

Logi Nu
Stan__

I did like this,

----------------------

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 10 11"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

EndSection

-----------------------

and now all the buttons work instead of default 3 buttons. BUT

additional buttons are 'back' and 'forward'  and I need that one of that buttons was midlle-click (just to double main midlle-click button) and the other one was double-left-click.  

can u help? I m newbie in Linux, and i didnt find such examples in ubuntu help section