02-16-2009 01:15 PM
Just bought a MX Revolution. The micro-receiver is not recognised by my laptops XP SP3.
When i put it in an other XP machine it does recognise the receiver and the mouse gets connected without needing to install any software.
I checked all USB ports they all work and all give the same result:
Found new hardware wizard: USB receiver but no drivers found and internet does not work etc.
I'm probably missing a basic inf file or something but have not found any usefull info here or on the internet.
Thanks for any tips etc
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-16-2009 11:48 PM
When I plug in the receiver to my laptop this is what happens.
1. It's immediately recognized as 'USB Receiver' then windows prompts me to let it go online to search for new drivers or not - I've tried all options here.
2. It then fails to find any suitable driver stating that installation of this hardware has failed and that it might not function properly.
3. In my Device Manager I can see 'USB Receiver' with a yellow exclamation indicating that installation of the device has failed.
4. I've gone so far as 'forcing' the driver to the below 'USB Human Interface Device' (I would have started with USB Composite device, but it's not presenting that as an option when I select Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. I have 'uninstalled' the device from my Device manager and gone through this same process dozens of time now at least.
This is in contrast to my desktop.
1. The receiver is recognized as a USB Composite device (which makes sense...keyboard,mouse,etc)
2. It installs drivers for the composite device recognition then proceeds through several others...USB Human Interface Device, HID-compliant device, HID-compliant consumer control device, HID Keyboard Device, HID-compliant mouse, etc.
3. Installation completes, I can connect my devices.
4. Only after going through all these steps did I begin to see any metion of a 'USB Receiver'
I found the text above in an unanswered post (here) and have found several similar post describing the same problem but no solutions.
Either there is something missing to have my laptop recognise the device as USB Composite device or some registry entry is blocking it.
So it works first go in my desktop PC, it always ends up as yellow USB receiver on my laptop.
Both machines run XP SP3 fully patched.
02-17-2009 12:00 AM
02-17-2009 12:09 AM
Well that's a very generic anwser.
Here's the exact anwser: i was missing usb.inf that fixed it.
Now probably thats also the problem in the other post but i can not update that maybe you can add that as a suggestion there and with a bit uf luck we save someone else hours of looking (as i did)
Post can be found here
02-17-2009 07:04 PM - edited 02-17-2009 07:05 PM