Logi Nu
jd27

New V550 Nano - Scroll wheel constantly 'jumps'

I just purchased a new V550 Nano. It's a great mouse but there is one thing that I'm not happy with - the scroll wheel is very 'jumpy'.

That is the best way I can characterize it with a simple word, though I'll try to describe what I mean in a little more detail. Here's a great example that hopefully anyone can relate to...

When browsing the web, I frequently scroll down to the bottom or top of a page. What happens with the V550 is whenever the very bottom or very top of the page is reached, it will always 'jump' about 10-20 pixels in the opposite direction. So if I'm scrolling to the bottom, when it reaches the bottom it 'jumps' up about 10-20 pixels.

I'm probably a little too picky about these things, but it's very annoying whenever this occurs as I'm working in an application like Photoshop or in the OS X Finder.

I've played with the Logitech driver settings to adjust the speed and acceleration in many dfferent ways to try to alleviate the problem. Nothing seems to help. I also see the problem whether the mouse is in 'smooth' or 'click' mode.

I also own a VX Nano Cordless for Notebooks, which is hands down one of the best mice I've ever owned. The scroll wheel on the VX Nano is *super* smooth, it exhibits absolutely none of the 'jumpy' characteristics that the V550 has.

So the reason I'm writing is because I am wondering if I have a bad mouse in the V550 that should be replaced, or if it simply isn't made as well as the VX Nano and the 'jumpy' scroll is normal on this model (in other words, I just have to live with it :-)

If anyone else has a V550 I'd welcome your advice or feedback.

Thanks.

Logi Nu
boram

Re: New V550 Nano - Scroll wheel constantly 'jumps'

I just got a Logitech V550 mouse today. And I have the exactly same problem with my MacBook Pro.

It is very annoying. I played with the Logitech Control Center to minimized this being happening but they are still bouncing.

Also, it bounce even more in VMWare windows XP.

But the mouse works perfectly in bootcamp. 

Logi Nu
KonigKarlos

I just bought the V550 Nano and am amazed that it also does the same. Maybe the wheel is loose. Perhaps it is made too loose by mistake.

Logitek if your listening please fix this manufacturing error. And can we have a recall? When can we expect a fixed mouse?

I don't want to spend the extra money to get that other model VX that is said to work more smoothly.

Perhaps that is why in London Drugs and in Future Shop the V550 is $30 off.

So what should we do? Our options are:

1. Logitek recalls the mouse or fixes it.

2. Logitek exchanges it for a model that works such as the VX.

Logi Nu
jd27

Thought I would report back again, as I've been able to replace the mouse since I first posted.

The good news - dealing with Logitech customer support was excellent. The people handling my case deserve much credit for listening to my problem and quickly recommending that it be replaced with a new unit. I didn't even have to ask for this.

The bad news - the new mouse still jumps. It would appear to me that there is a manufacturing problem with the wheel that I'm not going to be able to be solve with fine-tuning the preferences.

It's too bad, because I like the size and the weight of this mouse. I'm still using it, but I'm on the lookout for a better replacement.

Logi Nu
boram

I had the same problem and I figured out that it was the driver not working.

First, I uninstalled the driver with the program that logitech provide. It was in /Application/Utility/.

And install steerMouse. It is working great.

But you have to pay $20.00 on top of your mouse price.

Logitech customer service is the best one I have ever deal with.

But they don't know what was the problem. But I will still rate their customer service A+.

Logi Nu
jd27

Thanks boarm, that's a great tip.

I'm hesitant to drop another $20 on new software (the mouse cost me just a little more than that on sale), but I might try a simple uninstall to see if using just the Apple driver has any effect on the issue.

Logi Nu
jgrannis

I finally figured it out! Mine jumped too, but if you push down hard on the scroll wheel it toggles between a fluid motion, and the normal clicking scroll that i'm used to. So it has two different scroll "types," if you will. I like the clicking type. Fixed my jumping! :smileyhappy:
Logi Nu
Hople

Marble Mouse scroll wheel 'jumps'

My "marble mouse" trackball scroll function jumps.  Primarily, I use word processing.  I scroll up or down a page or two or something, and when I let go, it jumps right back to where I started.  A real nuisance.  Brand new out of the box it did this.

Logi Nu
c3romagnon

On Windows 7 x64, disabling Smooth Scrolling in the SetPoint mouse options clears up this issue!

Logi Nu
OldJoe

Thanks, jgrannis.

It works, too bad it  does away with the smooth scrolling.

btw, I have the same issue with other "mx" mice, and and older mouse as well.