Logi Nu
jk1999

PS/2 Mouse Report Rate under Windows 7 x64

I can't afford a new mouse at the moment.  I'm using a Logitech Optical mouse (ps/2) and am trying to adjust the PS/2 Report Rate to 200Hz.

The adjustment used to be made in the Device Manager but the tab no longer exists with either the MS or Logitech drivers.

I have done a clean install of SetPoint 6 (CC version 6.00.84, driver version 4.90.80). I still have no option to adjust ps/2 sample rate (it's at 100hz).
I have added the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\i8042prt\Parameters\SampleRate and set it to 200 (this is from microsoft's registry description, but for older versions of windows).

I have changed the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\L8042mou\Parameters\Technical\PSReportRate to 200.

I'm still at 100hz. The setting I want to change used to have a tab in the device manager where you could set mouse buffer size, ps/2 report rate, force wheel detection and I think a couple more settings. This tab does not exist in Win 7, either with MS or Logitech drivers.

I know this seems like a lot to worry about for a small setting, but I can't afford a gaming mouse at the moment and increasing the report rate give much better mouse resolution in games.

Any other ideas I can try? Logitech tech support say they can't help me with the issue.

Logi Nu
schulznfels

Re: PS/2 Mouse Report Rate under Windows 7 x64

if it is wireless it won't work.  Other than that search google for a ps/2 rate switcher or something like that. Worked for me. (windows 7 64bit).  Try compatibility mode maybe? Check your drivers?

Good luck

X_________________________________________________
Signature (Parent or Guardian)
Logi Nu
kjarvis

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I was trying change my PS/2 rate in windows 7 so I was searching for same thread that you made. 

I haven't had any success so I tried research myself searching in Win XP to change PS/2 rate.

You need following settings in Windows 7 which is avi in xp.

2384iA6A0D7B08A9B4679

Here are settings in Win7 to make it work.

2386i6220527EC97DCD6E

Change settings in Controlset001 and 002 & in i8042prt or anywhere else you can find. :smileyhappy:

Basic settings are

Samplerate = c8

Mousedatequensesize= 12c

Mouseinitialisationpoll =1 

:smileyhappy: there you go.

I can take my Mx518 @ 197hz stable same as in WinXP.

Very few people understands 

PS/2 > USB

Optical > Laser :manvery-happy:

CRT > LCD 

Wired > WIreless :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck with it and happy gaming.

Logi Rook
schlumpf

This works also with the famous IntelliMouse Optical with ps2 Adapter. I guess it works for all mice connected via ps2.

I created a .reg file that you only need to click to make the necessary changes: http://www.file-upload.net/download-3322926/ps2rate_200hz_windows7_x64.reg.html

Logi Rook
schlumpf

Ah and btw you can check the actual ps2rate with a tool called mouserate :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
MarblePlus

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm out of options. And sorry in advance for a long post.

Situation:

Trying to increase mouse movement in Windows 7. Cannot move the mouse cursor from one side of the screen to the other in one short movement of the mouse. The mouse movement I am trying to accomplish in Windows would be one full (or preferably less) movement of the thumb from bottom to top (left to right on the screen) of the Trackball, approx 1.5 inches in order to get from the left side to the right side of the screen. As it is I have to do it 2 times or use 2 thumb movements (not good for certain games)

Data:

I have been working on this for many weeks with no success. Searching the web and countless emails back and forth to Logitech. Tried using various Setpoint apps but only had to delete them completely out of my system. I have tried many different registry settings with no success. I am not an expert on all the components needed in order to accomplish the above but I have confirmed that the hardware is not an issue. The reason I know this is because I use multiple O/Ses and when I use Linux Fedora 13 I can go under “system settings” and make the mouse travel across the screen instantly moving it like 1/8 of an inch (which is way to fast and inaccurate to control). So that just leaves finding the right (if any) settings to make this work under Windows 7 64 bit.

New gaming pc less then 1 year old – Not really relevant to this problem but in case you need the info.

MB - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965

RAM - Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Video - MSI R5850 ATI Radeon HD 5850 graphics card

PS - Corsair 750 TX power supply

HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

Relevant Hardware involved.

Monitor – Samsung SyncMaster T260, SyncMaster Magic T260(Digital) 25.5 inch screen set at max resolution of 1920x1200 @60Hz – Yes I know if I lower the resolution it will travel farther but it will look horrid and have far to little desk space to be useful.

Mouse – Old School Logitech Trackman Marble+ Model T-CL13 using the PS/2 port.

Here is a link to an image - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-T-CL13-TrackMan-Marble-Wheel/dp/B00004L8IG – and NO I DO NOT WANT TO USE ANOTHER MOUSE especially since it does work great under Linux.

I have looked at and changed some of the following Registry settings:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\MouseSpeed

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\MouseThreshold1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\MouseThreshold2

The default are 1,6,10 with the settings under the Control panel> mouse>Pointer Options>Motion>set to max/far right fastest setting and Enhance pointer precision checked.

I have tried various settings like 2,4,6 1,0,0 etc. rebooting after each change and nothing increased the movement.

I then found your post here and thot maybe you might have more data to share. So I started to play with those keys with no success.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0F13\3&18d45aa6&0\Device Parameters\SampleRate

I used the MouseRate (Mouse Rate Checker 1.1b Static (c) 1998, 1999 Oliver Tscherwitschke) to verify that I had started with 100Hz and increased it to 200Hz. I only changed the above setting at first but that made my mouse move less so I tried changing the other settings but it did not get better and it was causing my boot up to take longer so I put everything back to way it was.

Other maybe possibly pertinent articles I found.

http://www.overclock.net/mice/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html

http://razerblueprints.net/forum/index.php?topic=8562.0 - With specific reference to MarkC XY curve adjustments – I never tried it because I could not determine if those changes would increase the movement factor.

It seems to me that if we can find the right combination of settings we should be able to make the mouse move the way we want it. If however Windows (and/or Windows 7 in particular) has some restrictions then I guess we can't.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it has enough information in it to help come up with a solution.

Thanks,

Cory