Logi Browser
GerryC

Problematic M705 mouse

I have recently started encountering problems using the left mouse button. Holding down the Ctrl key and placing the cursor (single click) on individual files should enable me  to execute a a single command to be applied to all selected files. Thus Shift+Del will delete all selected files leaving other files in the folder intact. What now happens is that after placing the cursor on the second but more frequently on the third or subsequent file it opens the file. The previous selections are lost and I have to start again. The problem does not only occur in Windows Explorer.

I have tried slowing down and speeding up the pointer  but this does not seem to  resolve the problem. The mouse is a Logitech M705 wireless mouse. I  encountered problems with the keyboard and mouse connection before this latest problem started which I largely resolved by moving my router away from the USB port in which the tiny wireless receiver sits. The batteries in the mouse are not the problem.

I may have another problem which may or may not be related. In Excel 2010 when you place the cursor on a single cell with the intention to paste it can select the cell or it can place the cursor within the text in the cell. If it does the latter you cannot select paste from the right click menu. When you try to reselect the cell to paste the data the clipboard no longer holds the data.

The other day I discovered a software update for the mouse but this does not appear to have made the situation better or worse.

The keyboard and mouse were expensive and it was purchased just over a year ago. I suspect that it is something that is interfering with the wireless signal or the receiver. The transmitter seem less likely as key board instructions are not always instantly executed as when typing this message.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Logi Nu
hoodsmom

Re: Problematic M705 mouse

If the thing is behaving like you're double-clicking when you only mean to single-click (not sure from your description, but I thought it was posible), the left button switch is going flaky.  I had the same problem on my beloved VX Revolution and if you check this forum for "debouncing" or some variation on "inadvertent double clicks," you'll find it full of complaints.  Fortunately for you Windows users, there are software solutions (check the forum for "debouncing"). We Mac users aren't so lucky. There are also some possible hardware solutions such as draining the charge from the capacitors and taking the mouse apart to clean or replace the switch. Again, check the forum and the net.

Logi Browser
GerryC

Thanks for your response. I will look into your suggestions.

I have only recently instatalled the SetPoint software update put out in October 2011.  I am concerned that it may not be totally compatible with Windows 7 64 bit as I seem to be getting strange performance issues since installing. Is this a known problem?

Does anyone have any further comments?

Logi Browser
GerryC

taking the mouse apart to clean or replace the switch.

How do you do that?

I have cleaned the pads on the underside of the mouse which does help.

Logi Browser
GerryC

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Program-Compatibility-Assistant

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience

Date:          22.2.12 20:40:09

Event ID:      100

Description:

The Program Compatibility Assistant was invoked to correct a compatibility problem. Information about the application is below.

Application name: Unifying Software (UNICODE)

Application version: 2.0.43.0

On a Windows 7 64 bit computer why is this happening?

Logi Nu
olefin

I've got a M705 doing the same, the left button is flaky.  Just over a year old. I suppose they are made to last till the warranty is out. I have an old Microsoft Intelimouse that's about 8 years old and still works fine.

Logi Browser
GerryC

Thanks. That's interesting.

I have emailed Logitech to see whether there is a way to restore the button and to see whether this is a known manufacturing weakness.