Logi Nu
kenewars

Unifying receiver causing Windows 7 boot problems

I am having a problem with Windows 7 booting while my logitech unifying receiver is connected.  When the USB Unifying receiver is connected  to a USB port  the PC will not even POST or get to the BIOS screen. If I press the power button the PC turns off instantly. I then disconnect the Unifying receiver and PC boots up normally. 

It started doing this about a month ago, I don't know if it is a windows update problem or maybe logitech software has updated recently. The same problem is affecting a friends Laptop that is also running Windows 7 64Bit.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem?

Thanks.

MichaelKenward
Topics: 17
Solutions: 250

Re: Unifying receiver causing Windows 7 boot problems

kenewars wrote:

It started doing this about a month ago, I don't know if it is a windows update problem or maybe logitech software has updated recently.

If it happens at the boot stage, neither of these is likely. Your PC knows nothing about Windows or Logitech's software before it starts to launch Windows. For all it knows, you may be booting into Unix.

I would look for something odd in the BIOS. Perhaps its USB settings, or for the attached peripherals..

Because this may be BIOS related, it might help to provide details of the motherboard and other PC components that might be implicated.

M570, Cordless Trackball | Cordless Trackman Wheel | T650 Touchpad
K800, K360, K340 keyboards
QuickCam Pro 9000 | H600 headset
SetPoint: 6.61.15 | Driver version: 5.60.73 | LWS 2.31
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit & 32-bit | Windows 8.1 Update

If you find a solution to your problem, mark it as "solved". This assists people who are looking for help with their problems.

Logi Nu
Bluelinegal

[ Edited ]

I have been experiencing the exact same issue as Michael with this mouse for the last couple of months.

I've had the mouse for a little over a year and have been using it on a newer (less than 3 years) desktop computer that runs Windows 7, as well as an older laptop that has Windows XP with no problems until sometime in March.

The desktop one day just got stuck on the boot page upon startup. Couldn't even get to the BIOS. Unplugged all USB connections and it started fine. Did a BIOS check on the computer and didn't detect any problems. Cleaned the whole computer, etc. Computer sometimes wouldn't even turn on when the mouse was plugged in. Had to hit the Reset button several times on the computer before it would start. Finally realized it was the mouse receiver causing the problem as it started fine when it was not plugged in. And if i forget to take it out before starting the computer, I have to shut it down - completely - pull the receiver out and wait about 15 seconds before turning the computer on again, otherwise it won't start at all.

Yesterday I plugged the mouse into the laptop for the first time since this started happening on the desktop and it started okay once, but was running "rough". So I shut it down. I started it up again after a few minutes and after about 20 seconds, it shut itself off. I tried multiple times to start it, but it kept doing the same thing. It wasn't even making it to the boot page. I worried that I might have a hard drive issue.

Then I realized I had the mouse receiver plugged in. Pulled out the receiver - laptop started up fine and ran normal. 

Any suggestions?

Logi Nu
thumblues

Had to replace an existing mouse/keyboard and bought a mX Anywhere Mouse with the unifying receiver and a k120 Keyboard.  After a great deal of frustation and testing it turns out that with the unifying receiver plugged in along with any other usb device such as the k120 keyboard the computer will fail to post.  Changes to the BIOS cannot fix this.  If either of the devices is connected after the system starts it works fine but that is not acceptable -  the computer should not hang at post because of this.  It would seem that my options are to return the offending device with the unifying receiver or use a usb/PS2 converter for the k120 keyboard (which is not supplied).

Logi Nu
Bluelinegal

I should have posted an update as to how I resolved this problem, but it was so simple that I forgot. 

Change the battery in the mouse. 

The theory: The receiver is plugged in and there's a low battery in the mouse. When you boot up the computer it begins to look for a mouse/keyboard/accessory, but there's not a strong enough signal between the two. The weak communication signal may be "garbled" and the computer recognizes it as an error, thus shutting itself down.

It's worked fine ever since I put in a new battery. 

I'm surprised that this isn't the first thing that LogiTech Support suggests.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Don't over-think it. 

Logi Rook
AndyCalling

[ Edited ]

Many computers' bios settings allow one to either stop on 'keyboard errors' or to ignore them. Whether you use a wireless keyboard or not, the unifying receiver has the potential for being a keyboard. Perhaps this situation generates a keyboard error.

I suggest you see if you can set your bios to ignore keyboard errors.

Logi Nu
thumblues

I found a resolution.  As I went to install the PS2 adapter found there were USB ports separated from the others and tried one of the devices there - no more post problems - there must be separate USB lines and having both on the same line must have caused the problem.  A quick scan of the MB manual and I didn't find anything but it is posting fine now.  Happy about that because the mouse is great and so is the KB even though it lacks a sleep button.