Logi Nu
slb67az

Wireless mouse periodically stops responding

Has anybody found a fix for the problems with a wireless mouse periodically not responding in Windows XP?  I started having problems with the wireless mouse from my old Cordless Freedom Pro a few months ago where it would just stop responding for a second or two then start functioning again.  It was just a short hic-up where the mouse would the cursor would not move and no mouse clicks were registered.  This was happening repeatedly so I finally decided it was just the mouse getting ready to die since I'd been using it for several years.  I went out an bought a new MX Revolution and notice almost immediately that it was having the very same issue.  I switched back to a corded mouse and the problems went away immediately.

I've been through the tech support forums both here and at Microsoft and tried every suggested fix I could find with no success.  Has anyone else had better luck getting rid of this type of behavior??
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mona

Re: Wireless mouse periodically stops responding

Is your receiver plugged in at the back of your CPU or the front?
Logi Nu
slb67az

Back right now but I have tried both.  I've also tried it on different computers with the exact same result.
Mona

Your mouse might be faulty. I would suggest that you contact Logitech Technical Support for further troubleshooting and to obtain further information regarding their replacement policies.

Logi Nu
slb67az

Mona,

I appreciate the fact that you are so prompt in responding to issues on this forum and I will be contacting the Tech Support group.  Respectfully however, the issue I've described is not unique, there are dozens of others on this forum reporting the same or very similar problems and very likely dozens more that don't get reported here for every one that does.  This isn't a case of a bad mouse, or even mouse model since it's happening with many wireless mice; it's a fundamental incompatibility between the Logitech drivers and Windows XP (I can't speak for Vista since I don't use it).  I know this isn't something you can directly fix but the apparently canned response of "is it plugged into the front or back" isn't getting the problem solved.....what difference could that possibly make anyway since either socket would be connected directly to the motherboard.

With all of the feedback that's coming in I have to believe that Logitech would consider this a "Known Issue" and have someone working on it.  I know I, and probably many others, would be much happier being told that this is the case and given the option of either keeping the product and waiting for the fix or getting a replacement in the form of a comparable wired mouse.  Every mouse/keyboard I've ever purchased has been from Logitech because I've always been thoroughly impressed with the quality and performance.  I have to say, however, that my recent experiences have severely challenged that impression.
Mona

Hi slb67az,

Thank you for your feedback. I do understand that there are many other users in and out of the forums that are experiencing the same problem. However, there are also many users who have found a fix by replacing their wireless mouse.

There are of course many reasons as to why users experience this issue with their wireless mice. In your case, it seems to me that the receiver is not communicating correctly with your mouse. The signal from the mouse is not correctly received by the receiver which causes your mouse to periodically stop responding. Hence the reason why I suggested that it is more of a hardware related problem rather than a driver compatibility issue. Furthermore, I am using a Logitech wireless mouse with Windows XP and do not experience similar problems.  

I would greatly appreciate if you could post back here after receiving your replacement mouse. I would like to know if your replacement mouse displays the same behavior.

Logi Nu
StayGoldn

Hi - I too am seeing Logitech G7 wireless mouse freezes; both for a second or 2, and also for a complete lockup, where I have to unplug and replug in the wireless usb stick, to see it come 'alive' again.

I have 3 G7 wireless mice, and all 3 will do this on this particular Windows XP Pro machine.  (Lenovo ThinkPad W700ds (ThinkPad Dual-Screen Workstation)).

I have installed,  and re-installed 2 / 3 x's, the latest  SetPoint 4.80 XP 32-bit driver, obtained from Logitech's support website.

The same freezes happen regardless of which of the 3 G7 mice I use.   

Now, I also have a 2nd Desktop PC on the same desk, also using a Logitech G7 wireless mouse.  (These are new G7 wireless mice.  1 is <1 year old, the 2nd is brand new (1 week old), these are not 'old' mice).  Any of the 3 G7 wireless mice work fine on the 2nd mentioned desktop, (or on a 3rd desktop PC), no lock ups or freezes, so it's not the mouse/mice.  The ThinkPad W700ds, with XP Pro, and SetPoint 4.80 sees the intermittent freezes/locks on multiple G7 mice.

The ThinkPad XP Pro has the latest Windows Updates, and NO OTHER ISSUES at all.  A wired Logitech MX518,  and a wired Logitech G5 work fine.

I have tried moving the machines farther apart (moving the G7 wireless usb transmitters farther apart), but that did not stop the freezes.  I tried shutting down the 2nd desktop, and turning off that 2nd G7 mouse,  leaving only 1 machine running with the G7, and still get annoying freezes intermittently.  So it's not interference from the 2nd G7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I truly like(love) Logitech mice (as mentioned, I have, and use, several G7, G5 and MX518's).  I would greatly appreciate Logitech's insight on why 1 mach, with latest Windows Updates, and latest Logitech SetPoint XP 32-bit driver, has intermittent freezes.

PS.  I also downloaded and installed your Logitech Connection Utility, but that had no affect as well (meaning, same problems intermittently occurred).

Logi Nu
zordak

My Logitech V450 wireless mouse is doing that. It acts like the driver is not on much of the time, resulting in a pointer that seems to stick repeatedly or disappear as I move the mouse. Very annoying. Have to rely on the Touchpad to get things done. Is there tech support? Efforts to get answers to questions have not been great so far.

Logi Nu
zordak

My problems are in Windows 7 on a new Sony VAIO machine. Are there known Windows 7 issues with Logitech/

Logi Browser
psychicfriend

See the topic "MX Revolution freezes with Firefox/Flash".  I had pretty much this exact problem and it was a line-of-sight issue between my mouse and the usb/bluetooth dongle.  that problem shouldn't exist but it does.