Logi Browser
arekm
Accepted Solution

how to cleanup M570 trackball in place holding the ball

Hi,

How to clean up M570 trackball?

On my old trackball the dirt was collecting in places holding the ball. Cleaning was easy - turn of screws, open and clean.

In M570 this is impossible. Screws are covered and even after uncovering these and unscrewing it's impossible to open it. Some latches are holding very well (disassemble guide is welcome!)

So now I feel that ball spins harder but cannot clean this :smileysad:

Logi Apprentice
smlunatick

Re: how to cleanup M570 trackball in place holding the ball

I found, by accident, that the ball can "pop out."   Gently push the ball out from the bottom hole.

Logi Browser
arekm

Oh, worked :-)

So I'm sure it will start to fall out in a year or two (just as my previous logitech trackball did :smileyhappy: but I prefer ball to fall out instead of having it dirty.

Thanks!

Another question, does your scroll wheel squeak a little sometimes?

Logi Apprentice
smlunatick

Squeak from where?  I have had other mice seek though my desktop speakers.  It was due to "interference" and the internal CD "analog" audio cable became antennas.

The M570 is my second trackball on Windows.  My older one was a Microsoft Trackball Optical and the ball was never "restrained."

BTW:  The M570 seems to need to be cleaned "daily" with constant use.

Logi Browser
arekm

Squeak when using scroll wheel. I hope that using it more will make the noise go away.

Logi Nu
badinoff

Just in case anyone does need to disassemble a M570 trackball (as I did when the scroll wheel became stuck!) there are a total of 5 screws that hold it together.  Only one of these is visible (the one nearest the ball).  Three more screws are located under the soft pads in the other three corners of the base of the trackball.  The fifth was a real challenge to find.  It is located underneath the battery and below the sticker that contains the battery specifications.  Once all five screws are removed the trackball comes apart pretty easily.

Logi Nu
dsnow3

Excellent bit of information :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
YeOlde

by softpads, is that those rubber things underneath the mouse making it stick to the surface? if so, it will ruin the glue to remove them? :/ i want to open it and customize my scroll wheel like i  did on my previous one, since now i have to use so much force to use it

Logi Nu
aimonger

Thanks for the hint on opening I could not feel the screw under the sticker. Your hint helped a lot :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
Aredub

Re: how to cleanup BB18 trackball in place holding the ball

My trackball mouse is a model BB18.  I was able to clean it as follows:

1) Turn the mouse over.  The ball is visible through a wide hole in the bottom.  I used the eraser end of a pencil to push it out.

2) There are 3 rubber pads (maybe not the right term -- rollers? contact points?) inside, which were caked in lint.  I wiped out the lint them with a dry handkerchief.  I also wiped down the trackball.

3) Pop the trackball back in.  Good as new!