Logi Nu
bwkstu

mouse squeak

I have just installed a keyboard, mouse combo - Cordless Internet Pro.
Although very happy with the operation, the mouse "squeaks" on left click.  This seems to be electronic, but is annoying.
Any suggestions?
Logi Browser
GARich

Re: mouse squeak

When you say your squeak sounds electronic, I'm unsure of your meaning. Electronic might indicate a piezo transducer. Without knowing how the device is buily, my guess is that the noise might be mechanical in origin. If your device is new enough, would your supplier exchange it for a new one? Does it do this when the machine is off? I have some ideas but most, if not all, would require some technical and diagnostics expertise.
Logi Guru
EdNorton

I would guess it is mechanical too. The easy way to test is to take the batteries out of the mouse and press the button. It can't make an electronic squeak with no power. If it still squeaks I would look into exchanging it where you bought it or contact Logitech if it is still under warranty.
Logi Browser
GARich

We're probably nowhere near each other geographically, but if we were, I have access to some very exotic lubes. A very small amount of something appropriate would solve it for life. Still, if it's as annoying as I envision it to be, a return to the store would be the best solution, followed by a warranty issue with Logi.
Logi Nu
BOOGIE

I think that my mouse makes the same odd sound. To me it sound's like either the plastic or the spring vibrating and rubbing.
Logi Browser
GARich

I don't have a squeaky mouse as a couple of you do. Only real mice are supposed to squeak. Is your squeak something that has developed over time, or is this a characteristic it had out-of-the-box? LogiTech has a fairly decent warranty on their products. While I too am a consumer, and hate the prospects of dealing with exchanges, it's usually better than dealing with replacing it due to cost. If you bought it from a reputable business local to you, they should recognize the benefits of trying to do right by you, and a mouse is not going to hurt them. If your device is out of warranty and you are as adventuresome as I, and have some technical ability, see if you can carefully dismantle the thing and discover what the cause is. If I had your mouse, I would do that, then post the cause and cure. Let the forum know if you do.
Logi Nu
mabunn

Uggg - I have the same problem.  Just installed the new wireless mouse and keyboard and the mouse squeaks like crazy!  It sounds like one of those old, IBM mice - as if it needs to be lubricated.  Having to unplug this stuff and cart it back to the store is rediculous.
Logi Browser
GARich

I wholeheartedly agree. If manufacturers want to keep selling products, they cannot afford to cheapen them to where they don't work properly and cause the customer, like you, me, & the other guy, to have to jump through hoops. When you return it to the store, tell them... show them... exactly what it is doing. Remember, the merchant wants to see you again, and if the products he sells cause his customers grief, they will hold some of the fault against them, and with all the competition out there, they don't need that. And when you get your returned-receipt back, insure it notes that you exchanged it. This way, if you have to do it again, you have established a track record of defective products. And another thing... whether they like it or not, open the new one and see if it works right before you even buy it. If it too squeaks, I'd be raising holy he!! with the manufacturer, and it's Logitech, so be it. I have 5 of their mice right now and they are all giving me problems. I love trackball mice, but the ones I have are a pain, and I will not be buying any more of them even though I like them. As consumers, we vote with our money.
Logi Nu
FooBear

My new mouse squeaks too!!! I just returned my Cordless Desktop Music System (KB, mouse, and speakers) because it was packed without the arm rest. The replacement set has a squeaky mouse. WHAT A PAIN!!! I wish there was a way to fix it or get new mouse rather than having to take every thing apart again and my the round trip to the store again.

It looks like it is caused by the battery pushing against a spring under the left mouse button.
Logi Browser
GARich

[ Edited ]
Hey FooBear... join the crowd.
Eventually... someone who works for Logitech will have a gander at this thread and investigate the problems from an internal perspective. From my extensive years of experience in dealing with large corporations about defects or areas for improvement with their products, there seems to be a huge disconnect with the genaral public. If an idea for improvement comes from within, it's great! If it comes from 50 unhappy customers, it's more a matter of 'what could they know'? Trust me when I say I know, understand, and feel your frustration. Unfortunately, as I said earlier in the thread, we vote with our money, and the best you can do is take apart you installation, and return it to the store for another one if you really want it, a different product, or a refund. Listen, the stores don't like returns anymore than the customers do, and when it reaches some threshold, the RTV department will be in touch with the buyer, who will (we hope) eventually contact the manufacturer.

I have a number of Logi trackball mice, and I like them, but the doggone balls get scritchy and every few days, I have to pop the ball out, clean it, and the three little round balls it sits on. Pain in the butt. One of these days, they're going to develop a device that you rest your thumb on and move it around, but with no ball... just a sensor you clean every so often.

But back to your topic, just return the thing and make your decision. I'm a Senior Engineering Technician with the world's 7th largest corporation; it's my job to find problems and deficiencies with things, analyze them to discover root-causes, and develop corrective actions for them. I don't have the problem you folks are having, or I'd have probably figured out a fix by now. There are Logi staff who read these things... best we can hope for is that one of those supergeeks will get on here and tell us that he's recreated the problem in the lab, and recommend a fix, or at least state that engineering is going to correct it. Until that happens, vote with your money.

I started this original thread with a search for a good, reliable KVM switch, but check it out: not one person of the hundreds who have read my posts, have ever recommended something that is known compatible with my mouse. What does that tell you? Logi needs to wake up and either make such a device, or somehow recommend one that research indicates works well. Switching mice is not as easy as installing a switch; it has to be a complex electronic thing. My view is that it can be done; they just don't care enough about making it happen.
Georgia Rich

Message Edited by Pegasus on 04-18-2007 11:41 PM