Logi Visitor
mikedow

Help file for Logitech Media Server

I have the day off and decided to try to try to figure out how to use the Logitech Media Sewrver software to its full potential.  I'm baffled by many of the options.  Is there a manual available online?  I have several questions that begin with:

1.  Under Player -> (player name) -> Basic Settings -> Title Format

THere are radio buttons and each have a drop down menu.  What is the point of the radio buttons?  Am I able to somehow select these choices from the remote or the main menu of the unit?

2.  Are some/all of the menu choices no appllicable if you qare listening to Internet Radio?  Since I have Squeezeboxes throughout my house, my music collection is never used.  When I want to hear a song--even if I own it--I use Rhapsody.  Am I wasting my times learning these menus?

3.  Under Player -> (player name) -> Basic Settings -> Audio -> Line In

WHen I select "Headphones" the audio cuts out.

When I select "Subwoofer" my subwoofer does not work, but the audio is still on.

"Always on" and "Always off" don't seem to change the audio.

4.  Is it pissible to get the title of a song on one line and the artist on another?  There's a font selection called three lines, but I cannot seem to understand how to use it.

Thanks,

Mike

Logi Guru II
squeezeit

Re: Help file for Logitech Media Server

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming you are using the Boom player based on your questions.  Is that correct?

If yes, the Boom, then..............

1.  You are selecting how the Boom will display album, artist, etc... This is the web UI access, your Boom can also select such display changes to album, artist, etc... via the Boom > Settings > Display menu's

2.  Very little on the LMS server settings has to do with online streaming

3.  Audio Out

-  Headphones shuts off the speakers, audio goes to Line Out only (Boom speakers do not play)

-  Sub just sends low freqs to the Line Out (Boom uses a DSP to cutoff freq's below 100hz), Boom speakers still play but at only freq's above 100hz

-  Always On means all audio is going to BOTH Boom speakers plus Line Out (add additional speakers)

4.  Yes, try the Music Information Screen plugin, it allows you to have as many as three lines of text of your choosing

Logi Guru II
squeezeit

BTW, points 1 (Title format settings on display) and 3 (Audio In/Out settings) are all on the Boom itself. 

No LMS server needed to alter these settings.

Logi Visitor
Lestrad

PLEASE answer the question! IS THERE a help file? Old posts say there is one, but I can't find it. WHat I really need is the documntation on the CLI. That is impossible to find too.

TIA

Logi Guru
garymc

[ Edited ]

EDIT" I know you're familiar with the other forum so already know you can get more technical answers over there.   There's some basic stuff here for others looking:

In particular:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server_CLI

In general:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page

Also, there are typically answers from lots of very advanced Squeezebox users/programers/developers over here:

forums.slimdevices.com

Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Files: Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify
Logi Visitor
Lestrad

Thanks. Yeah, I'd already found those pages, but I can't find a full set of CLI commands. Several posts have links to a no-longer-existing Logitech page (http://nas.sirpea.net:9002/html/docs/cli-api.html).

What I'm trying to do is set up the possibility of rescanning for changed files after a tagging session. I've made progress. "Rescan new" seems to do the trick, though for some reason it scans for cover art too. I'm experimenting with AutoRescan, and it seems to work. But it would still be nice to have the "official" CLI documentation.

Logi Master III
pippin107

The CLI documentation comes with the server itself. It's in the web interface under "Help->Technical Information->Comand Line Interface"

---
Author of iPeng.
Learn more about iPeng, the Squeezebox and UE Smart Radio App for iPhone or iPad on penguinlovesmusic.com
Logi Visitor
Lestrad

I found it, thanks! Under "rescan", it says:

If "external" is requested, the rescan will be performed using the external scanner process instead of the in-process scanner.

Do you happen to know what the difference is between the external and the in-process scanner?

Thanks again

Les

Logi Master III
pippin107

[ Edited ]

The external scanner starts a new process (and then runs as a separate process) while the in-process canner runs as part of the "normal" sever process. The latter might have an impact on the server's performance.

I'm not 100% sure whether LMS still can run the scanner as an external process because it uses SQLite which usually runs in the server process, too. SBS until 7.5.x used MySQL which runs as a separate process anyway and has an API to communicate with it while SQLite is really just a library.

I doubt that you have better control over the rescan process through the CLI compared to the Web Interface. The Web Interface directly manipulates settings and can directly interface with the server while the CLI is an API plugged onto the server only later. The CLI is pretty powerful when it comes to queries and control of devices themselves but everything that has to do with settings is not so well integrated. You can access them (there's a CLI command to change server or player settings) but you'd have to know exactly how they are named and how they work, this is not in the CLI documentation and actually not documented at all. It might also change between server versions.

---
Author of iPeng.
Learn more about iPeng, the Squeezebox and UE Smart Radio App for iPhone or iPad on penguinlovesmusic.com