Logi Nu
puddy

Squeezebox server IP address??

Does anybody know how to set the IP address for the Squeezebox server? My computer is connected to several networks, and the Server often latches onto the wrong network. The IP address is displayed in Control Panel --> Information, but can it be user-configured?

thanks!

Logi Guru II
squeezeit

Re: Squeezebox server IP address??

You need to set the IP address for the computer hosting SBS, not SBS server itself.  This can be fixed, static, or reserved IP.

In your case the tricky part will be to use an IP that will work on several different networks without causing an IP conflict.

Why do you need to do this?  Because your player cannot find SBS when SBS connects to a new network?

Why does your computer connect to several different networks?

Logi Guru
garymc

If you are using the computer running SbS on several networks (e.g., laptop with WIFI), you probably can't use a static IP as that may cause some issues (unless you control every one of these wifi networks).  But at home and other places where you have some control, you can typically "reserve" the IP address in your router, so that the DHCP hands out the same IP address to your laptop each time.

But I think the problem may be something else as squeezeit notes.  If you are connected to a LAN, and there is one or more SbS running on that network, you should be able to choose ANY of these instances of SbS. Maybe a bit more about what problem you are trying to solve....

Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Files: Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify
Logi Nu
puddy

Hi Folks, thanks for the comments. The computer running SB Server is connected to two networks: (#1) a wireless LAN with an internet gateway and a broadband connection, and (#2) a wireless LAN with no internet access. The computer (running Win 7) shares its internet connection with LAN #2 (using Windows Internet Connection Sharing).This connection sharing only works if the two networks are on different subnets, and hence I cannot assign a single IP to the computer that will be compatible with both networks. For various physical reasons the SB receiver and controller live in LAN #2. The SB controller has no problem accessing the web -- it pings squeezebox.com, can download updates, etc. But when SB Server latches onto LAN #1 it becomes invisible to the controller.

I know this is a complicated setup. But it's frustrating because when SB Server does latch onto LAN #2 everything works beautifully, and I'd like to be able to enforce this behavior :smileyhappy:

-RJ

Logi Guru
garymc

sorry, i'm a bit confused, but you say that the SbS is connected to two different servers. The SbS is simply a program running on your computer. So if that computer is always connected to one of the two networks I'm not sure what the issue is. I do recall that everything needs to be on the same subnet to talk to each other.  Anyhow, I'm probably confused about your setup and it is not a network setup that I'm familar with, so feel free to ignore these comments.;-)

My only comment is that if you're only doing this for security purposes and no other reason, that there are easier ways....

Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Files: Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify
Logi Guru II
squeezeit

puddy wrote:...........

I know this is a complicated setup. But it's frustrating because when SB Server does latch onto LAN #2 everything works beautifully, and I'd like to be able to enforce this behavior :smileyhappy:

Why you have/need two completely different networks is none of our business, but that is precisely why you are having the issue.  SB Server doesn't "latch on" to anything, the computer hosting SB Server is getting it's IP from whatever network it connects to.  Subsequently, SB Server is now utilizing whatever network assigned IP on the computer where SB Server resides.

As long as the SB Server host computer is on a different network than the SB player(s), they won't see each other.  Your simplest solution is to manually switch SB Server or your player(s) to the same network each time.

There is a way to get players to see a SB Server from a different network but I wouldn't suggest this for two reasons:

1.  rather involved setup (port forwarding, security issues, permissions, etc) when you already have a complicated setup

2.  your host computer is switching between two networks already