01-17-2010 10:36 AM
Here what I tried:
1. Unplug/Plug USB cable to let the wheel perform the calibration: sometimes the wheel presents a 10-20 degrees off center. In fact, it does not matter, because even after calibration the wheel starts going away from center line when playing. And it`s typical: to the left, i.e. the center moves to the left hand (LH) side. And I can`t play more than 10 minutes.
2. Tried to use the Wingman Clear Calibration Utility -http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/ClrCalib/x6
3. Updated the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) to its latest version, i.e. 5.08.
4. Under the options and configurations LGS allows us to do, I tried different levels of force feedback, Center Spring on and off, Degrees of Rotation, etc.
5. Tried in different computers and Operating Systems:
a. Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
b. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (the computer I use)
c. Even tried on a PS2 and a PS3 systems.
In all platforms the wheel presented the same problem, i.e. off center, to the left. It starts almost centered, but it moves away as you play.
6. Tried different games (basically the games I have and play):
a. 10tacles/Simbin GTR FIA GT Racing, GTR 2, RACE - The WTCC, RACE 07/GTR Evolution, STCC - The Game, Race On;
b. Codemasters GRID and DiRT, DiRT 2; and
c. rFactor v. 1.255.
7. Tried to power-cycling (power supply, etc.) and the wheel continued the same.
In all games, the wheel feeling and behavior were the same, i.e. again, off center, to the left.
8. Tried the procedure described in http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming/G27-Racing
9. The Profiler’s wheel calibration/test GUI has loud explosion sound effects tied to each wheel button activation, during Force Feedback checks.
One important observation is that, as I play any game I mentioned, the "effect" of center moving away to the left is even more pronounced, i.e. if I continue to play, the center goes farther to the left, 30, 40, 90 until it reached the point where the wheel was upside down. It is like the left side does not offer "resistance", has no "force feedback".
First I thought it was just a calibration problem (software) that I could handle with WingMan application, however, it seems a hardware problem.
PS.: Using Windows 7 64-bit
01-19-2010 12:46 AM
I have tried logitecs suggested software fix. nothing changed. my wheel centre rotates anticlockwise so quickly that it only takes a few turns and you cannot turn left anymore. I got it for xmas and was great for a little while but is now just more plastic junk.
01-23-2010 04:51 PM
Does anybody have any clue what could be this problem?
Could be the helical gearing the hardware which is not being able to withstand the various conditions the wheel is subjected to?
Any Mechanical Engineer could give us an opinion about this type of gearing inside G27 wheel?
Have a grat day!
01-24-2010 07:22 AM
i have been corresponding withj product support off and on for the past few weeks. Eventually we got to the step where they asked me to test the wheel in another computer, however i have no other computer to test it with. I think I am past the 120 hour limit before they discontinue my case, can someone else with this problem try testing with another machine and see if that solves it?
I am so frustrated with this, I wouldnt even want another one if they offered it. I either want my money back or at the very least, store credit from best buy. Niether of which is probably going to happen, unfortunatly. I'll never make the leap of faith on a $300 piece of hardware again, thats for sure.
01-24-2010 02:51 PM
If you`d read my last post, you`d see that I tested the wheel in different computers, and it doesn`t help.
Even tried on a PS3 system. The same thing, i.e. doesn`t work.
Hope I helped.
01-30-2010 10:44 AM
i would go this route too if i knew for sure it was a hardware problem. even the customer service rep has his doubts about the product itself being the problem...
this is so frustrating! obviously best case scenario would be a software issue that a driver update would fix. it would be nice if we could get an update from Logitec on any progress they are taking to rectify the problem on their end.
02-05-2010 12:14 AM
Well I caved and decided to stay with Logitech as Fanatec have their fair share of problems as well. I have my replacement G27 here and all is well. This is definately not a software problem I'm afraid. As you have read other people have tried it in different operating systems and even PS3's and have had the same results. If it was software related that wouldn't be the case. I'm guessing the helical gearing starts to slip. Jruggiero, you need to send the wheel back and get a replacement ASAP.