Logi Browser
ionblue

Harmony 1100 - communication issues, firmware update issues...

I just upgraded my remote to an 1100 (from a 700) and I'm having the worst time having my Mac communicate with it.  I had NO problems with the 700.

I did manually setup the network interface as I found here on the site, but for the life of me I don't quite understand why it sees it as a network interface.  Anyway, I let it sit plugged into my Mac for several minutes before starting any update and every time it waits several more minutes before it even says "communicating with remote".  It does its thing, gets to step 3 rebooting device and it never ever is able to verify.  The remote does reboot and the new settings are there, but the software is timing out - probably becasue of the way this thing communicates.

Also, I've been checking to see if there's new firmware and that always says downloading and then skips from step 2 to 4 and fails with a communication error.  The firmware it has now is 07.06.00 and I have no idea if that is the latest firmware or not, but it keeps trying to download something.

Can anyone give me some assistance with this?  Maybe make this more stable at updating and tell me whether I have the latest firmware or how to manually get firmware to update it?  I did click the link in the software to download it, but it unzipped and there's nothing there for me actually run.  Just a bunch of HEX file extensions.

Thanks in advance.

Logi Browser
ionblue

Re: Harmony 1100 - communication issues, firmware update issues...

Nobody has any suggestions for me??? :smileysad:

Logi Visitor
SquishyTia

Go to System Preferences -> Network.

Now create a new "Ethernet 2 (en2)" connection. Set it to use DHCP as its connection method. Do not change or modify any other settings. Click "Apply". Once you've done this, the Mac should see the remote easily and do its thing rather quickly (except the reboot - the remotes take forever and a day to reboot anyway and that's not controllable by PC or Mac).

The reason for the DHCP setting is to you don't have to screw with IP wonkiness. Your Mac will have the appropriate IP for itself regardless of what IP the remote may have (even though it's almost always the same across the same model #). It's somewhat counter-intuitive since the remote is the ethernet interface (it's really a USB<->Ethernet bridge adapter), but in the case of the Harmony remotes that use the Bercca USB interface adapter, the remotes are considered host devices, and as such the computer needs to connect to them via DHCP for the best reliability.

Logi Browser
ionblue

Thanks for that.  Yeah DHCP does seem to work, but I'm not sure it's any faster.  I also finally found this:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14598/kw/related/related/1

So apparently the software doesn't exactly work properly with 10.6.  Didn't realize that!  So I'll be booting into 32bit mode to see if I can actually update the firmware of this thing.

Funny thing is, it almost works completely in 64bit mode so I can't for the life of me figure out why Logitech doesn't spend a little time getting a 64bit version out - especially with 10.7 right around the corner!

Logi Browser
ionblue

Well so much for that!  Apparently you can't boot the Macbook Air in 32bit mode.  Even when setting the system startup via command line!  I'll have to try on my iMac, but I'm guessing that probably won't allow it either.  So now what?

Logi Browser
ionblue

Oddly enough I guess the system did in fact boot into 32bit mode, but only the kernel itself - all other processes were in 64bit mode which is why I assumed it was still in 64bit.  Anyway, I was finally able to upgrade the firmware to the latest.

I really hope Logitech rewrites the drivers to include 64bit support since this is how every OS from Apple is going to be from here on out.  Shouldn't have to boot special just to update a remote! :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
gibber123

this totally allowed the updating process to occur on my 1100 using Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6.8).  after reading the 3 possible causes posted by Harmony, and not being successful - this worked for me.  a note, 32-Bit Kernel was also active (instead of default 64-Bit Kernel on my machine).

i tried to upload a screenshot, but was not allowed...

another note - when you plug the USB into the Harmony 1100 for the first time, the new network connection "Ethernet 2 (en2)" should come up immediately - if you don't allow it - add it later (like i did).