Logi Nu
mct-hmb
Accepted Solution

Harmony One won't learn up and down arrow commands to control Denon AVR 2112

I set up an activity for internet radio with just my Panasonic P65VT30 and the Denon AVR-2112ci.  The direction arrows and the select button did not function when first set up.  I used the Denon remote to teach right and left arrows and the select button.  Those now work fine but after many failed attempts, I've given up getting the up and down arrows to work.  In addition, with this particular activity, I need to select the device in order for any of the controls to operate the receiver.  Is there a way to have the receiver controlled without having to select the device?

Logi Master
idicev

Re: Harmony One won't learn up and down arrow commands to control Denon AVR 2112

[ Edited ]

mct-hmb wrote:

I set up an activity for internet radio with just my Panasonic P65VT30 and the Denon AVR-2112ci.  The direction arrows and the select button did not function when first set up.  I used the Denon remote to teach right and left arrows and the select button.  Those now work fine but after many failed attempts, I've given up getting the up and down arrows to work.  In addition, with this particular activity, I need to select the device in order for any of the controls to operate the receiver.  Is there a way to have the receiver controlled without having to select the device?

What software, v.7.7.0 or myHarmony.com, are you using?

I believe it is only H200/300 which is restricted to using myHarmony.com, for which the database for is less extensive, but you can use v.7.7.0 stand alone software for any other Harmony remote.

The database for v.7.7.0 software does include device config. for Denon AVR-2112ci, which does have 'left' and 'right' directions and 'enter' which would probably be equivalent to 'select', so you should not need to learn them.

Without having to select the device you can use any of the included device's (receiver) commands from the activity's lcd buttons.

In the buttons menu for the activity, choose lcd (myHarmony.com) or additional commands (v.7.7.0), press 'Add', and use the drop downs to pick the commands you want to use in the lcd, from the list of those available for any included device.

Logi Nu
mct-hmb

Re: Harmony One won't learn up and down arrow commands to control Denon AVR 2112

I am using 7.7.0.  Adding buttons to the touch screen allows me access to the directions but I still can't get the hard up and down direction keys to work properly.  I have tried customizing the buttons.  Have used both learn and learn raw and nothing works.  It is more convenient to use the hard direction keys.  Am I out of luck?

Logi Master
idicev

mct-hmb wrote:

I am using 7.7.0.  Adding buttons to the touch screen allows me access to the directions but I still can't get the hard up and down direction keys to work properly.  I have tried customizing the buttons.  Have used both learn and learn raw and nothing works.  It is more convenient to use the hard direction keys.  Am I out of luck?

In your previous post you said:-

"... In addition, with this particular activity, I need to select the device in order for any of the controls to operate the receiver. Is there a way to have the receiver controlled without having to select the device?"

- which suggested you did not know about selecting additional receiver’s commands for the lcd, or adopting commands from the receiver for the hard buttons, and was the basis for my reply, so glad it helped.

I understand that you prefer to use hard direction keys but Re. “I still can't get the (my italics)hard up and down direction keys to work properly”,

1.) If it is right that from the database, soft up/down keys in the activity, and up/down keys in the receiver’s device, don’t work either, and/or none of the original Denon device buttons worked to begin with.

- Then you could try devices from the database for other Denon models.

and/or

2.) If it is it right that these commands work ok from the original remote.

- Then you need to work out why the Harmony One cannot learn them:-

e.g.

Make sure the Harmony One’s and original remote’s batteries are fully charged.

Experiment with holding the teaching buttons for different lengths of time.

Experiment with the distance and angle between the remotes.

I reckon it must be unusual not to be able to learn direction commands so keep trying :smileyhappy:

Logi Nu
mct-hmb

Thanks for your replies.  I'll give your suggestions a try this evening.  Both remotes are fully charged and the Denon remote direction keys do work properly.  I did get the left, right and select  hard buttons to learn the commands but for some reason, up and down are a problem.  I have tried varying the time and distance but not the angle.  The software does indicate that the key has been detected.  It's also strange to me that I can add the buttons on the lcd.  Should be the same commands, right?  In any case, I'll let you know what happens.

Logi Master
idicev

mct-hmb wrote:

...It's also strange to me that I can add the buttons on the lcd.  Should be the same commands, right? ...

Right, and do you really mean that the lcd soft buttons, as derived from the database, for up/down work ok?

If so, can you check to make sure you are really choosing, from the drop downs for the hard buttons, the same commands and from the same device as those which work in the lcd?

Also you could try choosing them for different hard buttons, (just in case the hard buttons are dodgy), and as 'sequences' (of one command!) to see if it makes any difference.

Logi Nu
mct-hmb

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.  The last of your suggestions worked.  I added a sequence of three commands each for up and down and it works perfectly.  It still seems a bit strange that the same command for the same device works on the lcd buttons but not on the hard buttons.  In any case, I'm glad that it works now.

Logi Master
idicev

[ Edited ]

Glad that the sequences work but can't see why!

Maybe one of the experts could explain...

PS

Suppose you might have tried troubleshoot> some commands work too much or only sometimes

Logi Nu
weatherman24

having same problem, just configured all last night and up/down arrows (hard buttons) will not work. What exactly did you do to fix it?

Logi Nu
XSparks7

Idicev,

I had the same up-down problem when in Internet mode. Left and right would work but not up and down. My new Harmony One was great except for that and I was frustrated until I saw your fix.

Thank you big-time. Now I'm a happy camper.