Logi Nu
Skydaver

Issues with Harmony remote, Harmony Remote software, and Mac OSX

I was having problems updating my remote, as my internet connection was being taken down when I plugged the remote in. I called tech support, who had me unplug the remote from the USB port, start the Logitech Harmony Remote Software, click Update Remote, then plug in the remote. Tech support did not tell me, but I've realized that the order is absolutely imperative. You CANNOT connect the remote before you click Update Remote, and you MUST disconnect the remote after the update is complete. If you don't follow that order, your internet connection will be taken down. I do not have any other USB devices (GPS receivers, for example) that are so sensitive about when they are connected. This is, in my opinion, a bug. Tech support does not think so, and simply states that you should follow the steps above. I hope that someone checking for this kind of problem will find this message.
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Issues with Harmony remote, Harmony Remote software, and Mac OSX

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experience, but it's worth noting that the Harmony setup procedure does specify at what point to connect the remote, but also that in fact most users find that it does not actually matter in which order it's done and don't get the disconnection problems that you experienced.

Logi Nu
Skydaver

Re: Issues with Harmony remote, Harmony Remote software, and Mac OSX

I completely agree that the documentation, and even the software itself, tells you when to hook up the remote to the computer. Now that I know it's so touchy, I'll be sure to follow procedure. The documentation does not say that the order is essential, though, and tech support basically blew off my suggestion that it was a bug. I can repeat the problem at will.