Logi Nu
DaddyO1978

Please help! Harmony 650 power problems w/ "older" JVC AV Receiver and 5 disk changer

Thanks in advance for your time.  I consider myself above semi-average when it comes to electronics and devices, but I'm new to the logitech family and I'm stumped.  My set-up is real simple.  I have a DVD player, TV, AV Receiver, and a 5 CD disk changer.  My receiver and disk changer have been around for quite some time (15 years?), they have more sentimental value than anything, and they still work and sound great.  My problem is this:  I can not figure out how to power on/off those two devices.  I've never owned the original remotes but I did manage to track down some photos.  There was NOT a power button on either device's remote control.  The power button is the type that you actually push in for "on" and it pops out for "off".  I've tried about every setting that I can think of and have been researching this and working on this for hours now.  I've read that if the original remote didn't have a power button then it's not possible, and I've also read that that's rubish.  I've tried the power toggle, I've tried the "one button for off and on", and "two buttons for off and on".  I've tried the "I want to keep my device on", etc.  All of the other functions are working fine, I just can't turn the darn things off or on....the main reason why I purchased this remote!  I'm trying to avoid having to click the setting where I just leave it on 24/7.  I'd rather save the energy and power them up manually.  Anyway, there MUST be a way to do this and I appreciate your help!!!

JVC Receiver:  RX208BK

JVC Disk Changer:  XL-F106BK

Also, both devices are recognized with the logitech software.  Like I mentioned, I do not have original remotes.  Thanks again.

Logi Master
idicev

Re: Please help! Harmony 650 power problems w/ "older" JVC AV Receiver and 5 disk changer

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I found the JVC Receiver Device's full command set on page 6 of the Devices 'additional commands', and the JVC Disc Changer's Power Toggle on its page 6.

Don't think you mentioned it but, with the Harmony650 in Device Mode and regardless of activity settings, do any of these power commands do anything when you try their lcd-side command buttons?

Again not intending condescension :smileytongue: but did you first allow the power to be available, and the boxes are either On or in Standby, by making sure that the physical power buttons are left 'pushed in'?

Logi Nu
DaddyO1978

Re: Please help! Harmony 650 power problems w/ "older" JVC AV Receiver and 5 disk changer

I appreciate you getting back to me and for your tips.  I tried with "push in" button power on and off with both devices.  No luck. There is a "standby" label next to the on/off buttons on both devices.  How do I get it to standby to where that power button can stay in and on?  Just for kicks, I tried to push and hold the power button while turning it off, and then once again while turning it back on.  Neither did anything, and I'm sure that's funny for a few of you out there! lol  Also, my power toggle and power on/off commands on the remote are on page one for both the receiver and cd changer.  I've done the trouble shooting "power options", and have chosen "i would like to turn my device off".  Should I change that?

Also, I can control the volume on receiver and the functions.  Just not power.  Haven't messed around with the CD player as far as that goes yet, I was more concerned about the power deal first.  Thanks again for your time and your help!

Logi Master
idicev

If the Receiver responds to volume and function controls and it's just the Device power commands which don't work, you might like to try loading other JVC cd player devices into the Harmony Software, to see if they offer any working power commands, or perhaps search through codes in a OneForAll or any other uni remote which is available. As a last resort an RF or IR controlled socket would do e.g.:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lime-Remote-Control-Energy-Power-Saving-Plug-Socket-Brand-New-/30062565190...

Logi Visitor
AtticCat

[ Edited ]

If the original remotes of those devices did not have any power button, chances are, harmony remotes will not be able to power off/on those devices as well.

Logi Browser
RonPogi

if you have the original remote for your devices, you can try to learn the PowerToggle/PowerON/PowerOFF if you are having problems with the power command.

Logi Nu
DaddyO1978

Thanks everyone for taking the time to try to help me out.  I've never posted on a site like this and I really appreciate it.  Quite the learning experience.  Just got home from a long day and may tinker with it some this evening.  Hopefully I can wrap this up thanks to all of your suggestions and trial and error.  I'll post what happens incase anybody else runs into this same problem in the future.  Thanks again.

Logi Nu
DaddyO1978

So I've had a few minutes on this and I'm still striking out, unfortunately.  

1) I don't have the original remotes for devices.

2) How do I upload codes into the logitech software?

3) I have tried to program the remote with several similar devices (the ones that logitech recommends in the settings - about a half dozen).  No luck.

4) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if I can figure out how to find and upload the correct power command codes that I won't have to purchase and mess with an RF or IR controlled socket.  However, I'm appreciative that I now know that that's an option.

5) Thanks again!  

Logi Master
idicev

[ Edited ]

DaddyO1978 wrote:

...2) How do I upload codes into the logitech software?... 

What was meant was that many unversal remotes (some tv and pvr remotes can now serve other boxes too) come with printed lists of codes which represent sets of commands for various devices and manufacturers:-

The methods vary but the codes are specific to the other controller, not Harmony.  When you come across the right 4 number code the other remote can turn on/off the target box, which indicates that the set of comands associated with that code will probably match the target box too.

- usually you press some buttons on the other (non-Harmony) uni remote so it can record the number presses, then enter the numbers from the list e.g. 4197, 4177, 4321 in turn (or whatever is listed for JVC and type of component, so that you can program that particular uni remote).

It just happens that we have lots of old universal remotes in the cupboard but maybe you don't, and its a long shot really... I just thought that, if you can find a remote which turns on/off your JVC boxes, you could use that other remote to teach your H650......so good luck!

It does seem odd that there were Power commands in Harmony database when your original JVC remotes did not have those buttons. In view of this would it now be best to try to discover, from JVC Co. or other owners, whether or not your two JVC boxes are really capable of responding to IR on/off commands?